"Official" Portland Pirates Thread

LabattBlue

I didn't hear that on Wednesday.

No, you actually heard him use Ennis, not by name, as why he could trade away MacArthur.

Now go over to the Darcy excuse thread and make comments about every post there. ;)

No, you actually heard him use Ennis, not by name, as why he could trade away MacArthur.

Now go over to the Darcy excuse thread and make comments about every post there. ;)

Correct. Heard that; didn't hear him using Ennis's injury as an excuse for NOT making a trade. I think D.R. made the right call, putting faith in Ennis.

EDIT: I've ignored the Darcy excuse thread. I'm assuming the first few were funny, and then everything after that was just hostility that I don't really need to read.

Correct. Heard that; didn't hear him using Ennis's injury as an excuse for NOT making a trade. I think D.R. made the right call, putting faith in Ennis.

EDIT: I've ignored the Darcy excuse thread. I'm assuming the first few were funny, and then everything after that was just hostility that I don't really need to read.

Gotta at least read mine.

Pirates start weekend road trip off on wrong skate

Published on: 5th March, 2010 by Chris Roy

Bridgeport, CT – On the day when much of the discussion about the Portland Pirates was on their future in Portland, they were in Bridgeport, Connecticut beginning a three-game road trip through Connecticut and Upstate New York.

It didn’t get off to the start the Pirates had hoped as Trevor Smith scored a pair of goals for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers including the game-winner in the third period to give them a 5-4 win over the Pirates in front of 3,819 at the Arena at Harbor Yard on Friday night.

Link>>>

Pirates late rush was too little too late

Published on: 6th March, 2010 by Chris Roy

Syracuse, NY It was 2000 when the Portland Pirates last visited the Syracuse Crunch, and if they had their way it would have stayed that way.

The Crunch bolted out to a four goal lead and held on to a late game surge by the Pirates to win 4-3 win in front of 5,526 at the Onondaga County War Memorial in Syracuse, New York.

Link>>>>

Just got home from watching Portland take on Rochester at HSBC...

- Portland lost 3-2. Enroth let in a blistering slapshot to the top corner with 1 minute to go. Gogulla missed the net from 20 feet away in the slot with a few seconds to go.

- Weber did not impress me at all. In the 2nd period alone, he took a terrible penalty, got beat badly 1 on 1 and got caught up ice that resulted in a 2 on 1 that ended up with a goal being scored.

- IMO, Gogulla is going to be a decent 3rd line winger. Maybe not by the beginning of next year, but maybe 1/2 through the year or at the start of the 11-12 season.

- Gerbe didn't do much. He had one nice backhand opportunity and got into a few scrums after the whistle, but that was it.

- If Gragnani is an NHL caliber defenseman, I don't see it. I didn't even see much in terms of offensive skills which are supposedly his strong suit.

- You know what happens when you charge $25, $20 & $15 for an AHL game? You get somewhere between 2000-3000 people. Once again, a nice attempt at a money grab by Quinn.

- I heard Byron(another midget) had decent skills, but if so, he didn't bring them to Buffalo.

- Enroth played a solid game.

- Rory Fitzpatrick is still hanging around the AHL? :lol:

- Real good spirited fight between Kyle Rank and an Amerk by the name of Mink.

- I knew it ahead of time, but it was disappointing not to see Ennis play.

Nice recap, Blue. I didn't go to the Buffalo game, but did attend in Rochester when Portland came to town. I am also high on Phillip Gogulla. I think he can be a very good 3rd line player, but, with a guy like that, it's 3rd line or bust. He doesn't have the skill to make it on a top 2 line and i just don't know enough of him if he can battle down by the boards and how good of a 2-way player he is. I know he's a above average defensive forward, but will that cut it?

Portland is a much different team with a healthy Gerbe, Ennis and Mancari. I doubt Gerbe is 100%, so on the offensive standpoint, you only really saw our best possible 3rd line prospect.

When Portland was here, i liked Weber a lot, but the guy i was most impressed with, was T.J. Brennan. How did he do last night and did he catch your eye? I wouldn't necessarily say he's a Brian Campbell, but he just moves the puck so well, very good hitter and plays very good in his own end.

I am also not a big fan of Gragnani. He did play decent when I saw but i just think he lacks a defensive game to make it as a defensmen and also each time i saw him he's always been soft.

...but the guy i was most impressed with, was T.J. Brennan. How did he do last night and did he catch your eye?

I didn't notice him that much either good or bad. He seemed okay on the PP and had a nice hit or two. I was more focused on Weber. The other blueliners not previously mentioned...Scheistel was struggling as has been reported, Persson was playing forward & Generous and Kostka were just there.

That's one reason why i think we gave up MacArthur because 2 draft picks was just too much to not give up. The defense lacks some serious prospects. I don't think Grags, Persson or Scheistel are that good. Scheistel went from a nobody to a decent prospect due to his amazing year last year but i think he was older then most. Weber has his ups and downs and Brennan seems good but, took him a while to get adjusted to the AHL. Besides these two, only McNabb really has potential beyond. Ruff is very down on Butler right now and the team was just about to quit on Sekera. I really think they will go defense heavy at the next draft.

I really think they will go defense heavy at the next draft.

I disagree. They need to cross their fingers that a few of the dmen in the pipeline can success at the nhl level. It is embarrassing the number of dmen they have drafted over the last 6 or 7 years, but is still a position of need. According to the link below, 15 of 31 prospects are blueliners. They can't stop ignoring the forward ranks when it comes to the first round or two.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvkCXzEY7MhNcFFnb01wellObGg1dENHdU1ZdHc3YkE&hl=en

They really need to address the lack of scoring(preferably with some size) in the forward ranks especially at center. Except for Adam and Ennis, who is there to address that need?

That's one reason why i think we gave up MacArthur because 2 draft picks was just too much to not give up. The defense lacks some serious prospects. I don't think Grags, Persson or Scheistel are that good. Scheistel went from a nobody to a decent prospect due to his amazing year last year but i think he was older then most. Weber has his ups and downs and Brennan seems good but, took him a while to get adjusted to the AHL. Besides these two, only McNabb really has potential beyond. Ruff is very down on Butler right now and the team was just about to quit on Sekera. I really think they will go defense heavy at the next draft.

Biega's going to quickly join those ranks next year. I could see him easily winding up in the same mold as Butler. They were very high on him at the rookie camp this year and it's justified. He is a very smart player and he moves the puck well.

The one thing that I think may end up hurting him is that he'll have a slightly steeper learning curve thanks to being stuck on the absolutely horrible team he's on with Harvard this year. The few times I've seen them, they're embarassingly bad, but he stands head and shoulders above the rest of the team, and that includes Leblanc who is a highly regarded 1st round prospect (maybe a bit of a project though). I could see there being some size concerns too, but I think he's capable of overcoming that.

Pirates and Sabres agree on long-term affiliation agreement

Published on: 11th March, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – In a twist to the never-ending saga in the lease negotiation between the Portland Pirates and the Cumberland County Civic Center Board Trustees, it was announced today that the Pirates have extended their affiliation agreement with the Buffalo Sabres.

Link>>>>

Pirates back into win column with shutout

Published on: 13th March, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – For the first time in nearly three months, the Portland Pirates had a healthy roster on the ice, and it showed as they jumped out to a 4-0 lead and cruised to the victory over the Manchester Monarchs in front of 5,556 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>

Pirates loss to Binghamton proves costly

Published on: 14th March, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates lost more than a game against the Binghamton Senators.

The Senators scored five unanswered goals in a 6-2 win over the Pirates in front of 6,570 at the Cumberland County Civic Center, but it was the loss of goaltender Jhonas Enroth, setting the tone for the evening.

Link>>>

Falcons, Blown Leads, and Bears! Oh, My.

Published on: 14th March, 2010 by Mark Edwards

Portland, ME—Rob Hisey scored twice in regulation and Chad Wiseman potted the game-winning shootout goal to help the Springfield Falcons skate past the Portland Pirates 5-4 on Sunday afternoon at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>

Archived