Rivet, Kaleta and Gaustad update...

LabattBlue

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/11/morning-skate-report.html

Rivet...Perhaps the biggest was that captain Craig Rivet skated for about 15 minutes and the injury he suffered Friday in Philadelphia isn't nearly as bad as first feared. Rivet won't play tonight but it seems likely he might be back on the ice next week.

Gaustad...Meanwhile, center Paul Gaustad has a knee injury that Ruff said should sideline him "in the couple week range." That's a tough one for the Sabres, as Gaustad continues to be the NHL leader in faceoff percentage at 63.6 and is the main guy down low on the power play. On top of that, his six goals are just one off the team lead.

Kaleta...The Sabres could be missing a third player tonight as Ruff and Patrick Kaleta left quickly after the skate to head to the team offices for a conference call with league officials regarding Kaleta's hit yesterday on Philadelphia's Jared Ross.

http://blogs.buffalo...ate-report.html

Rivet...Perhaps the biggest was that captain Craig Rivet skated for about 15 minutes and the injury he suffered Friday in Philadelphia isn't nearly as bad as first feared. Rivet won't play tonight but it seems likely he might be back on the ice next week.

Gaustad...Meanwhile, center Paul Gaustad has a knee injury that Ruff said should sideline him "in the couple week range." That's a tough one for the Sabres, as Gaustad continues to be the NHL leader in faceoff percentage at 63.6 and is the main guy down low on the power play. On top of that, his six goals are just one off the team lead.

Kaleta...The Sabres could be missing a third player tonight as Ruff and Patrick Kaleta left quickly after the skate to head to the team offices for a conference call with league officials regarding Kaleta's hit yesterday on Philadelphia's Jared Ross.

Kaleta is out for two games per the NHL:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=507816

This league is screwy. On May's no goal in Detroit, the NHL issued a lengthy treatise on why the call was correct. Can't they be bothered to at least explain why a player was suspended? Don't want a paper trail, I guess.

Injury was probably the issue that worked against Kaleta here when comparing his board with Ovechkin's.

It was the right call but definitely hi-lites the league's double standard for its stars. If Kaleta gets two, Ovie deserved at least 1.

I still don't think it was the right call but when has the league ever got it right. How many boarding majors is that for him now? Everything I read said that was #2 for OV but I thought it was 3 for him.

...see sig...

Good call.

I'm a little surprised at how angry I am over this. It's not a good call at all. OV's intent to drill Kaleta into the boards took place over twenty feet of ice. He never had any intention of doing anything else.

Ross saw Kaleta and in under a second, after Kaleta made move to hit him, turned his back on him. OV deserved more than Pat. The ONLY reason for the difference in suspensions was the injury to the player. BS

Ovie deserves at least 2 if for nothing else intent.

There's that I-word that PA hates.

Give Ovie 2, whatever. It doesn't change the fact that for two boarding incidents two different players were treated much differently by the league. Patty and his rep got him 2 for a pretty heavy hit on a player that appeared to have never seen him coming. Meanwhile Ovie got nothing for a hit that could have ended much worse and was much more deliberate. They're hits that need to be avoided and players need to be penalized for making them.

The league is giving lip service to protecting defensemen behind the net (more talk toward protecting them on icing touch ups than playing dump ins, but still that tends to be a predominant discussion on CBC). I would expect that if the league were to actually provide the reason one hit was suspendable and the other wasn't, that would be the one they use. (Blame the suspension on Grapes. <_< )

Both hittees seemed to turn towards the boards prior to being hit (only watched the Ovie hit one time, might not be remembering that one correctly) but in the act of playing the puck, and the hitters should have expected that they'd be hitting the guys in the back.

Personally, I would have given each of them 1 game. You can't hit the guy in the #'s, IF you really want to cut down on those hits you enforce them all. However we all know/knew/will continue to know, that #8 in red is looked upon a wee bit differently than #36 in blue. But that one is true in all the major sports, the stars get breaks the regular guys don't and won't get. We also know that in order for a hit in the back to be suspendable, the hittee has to be injured. Haven't found that one in the rulebook yet, must have come out in a memo. <_< Between those unwritten rules, the outcomes were expected. :thumbdown:

Talk about crazy timing. Back to back games where the boarded becomes the boarder. I'd love to see some of the talking heads somewhere pick up on this (HNIC?), but it won't happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Don Cherry talk about this. Within the last couple of weeks he talked about how AO was running out of rope with his "dirty play."

I wouldn't be surprised to see Don Cherry talk about this. Within the last couple of weeks he talked about how AO was running out of rope with his "dirty play."

I wish I could find the time to watch that more. I'm always busy with a different center ice game on saturday night's, so I think I've seen coach's corner once this year.

He touched on it tonight. Said the league needs to do more to make the game safer than just put some padding on the board ledges.

IIRC, wasn't Ovechkin just as dirty back in Russia before coming over to the NHL?

I wish I could find the time to watch that more. I'm always busy with a different center ice game on saturday night's, so I think I've seen coach's corner once this year.

If you ever want to see an episode of Coach's Corner or the Hotstove that you've missed, you can get the archived video at http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/

On the bottom left hand side of the page, you can pick the segment you want.

It was the right call but definitely hi-lites the league's double standard for its stars. If Kaleta gets two, Ovie deserved at least 1.

Obviously. That is why Mike Richards continues to get away with dirty play all the time. No prior record my *&@^%@# ass!

Unless AO ends up killing someone or putting him out for a long time the league is not going to do a thing. Have you seen Cindy Crosby swinging his stick around in frustration when they lose a tight one or some crap of that nature?

I agree with the poster above who said the NHL is basically a garage league run by blockheads - they're smart enough to know how to pander to their stars.. bull*(@

Archived