GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

ThePebble19

Haven't seen anything about Stafford. If he's out, do we see Paetsch or will Ennis have another fly-by call up?

I was thinking the other day (after Ennis' first call up) that I'd like to see these lines for one game:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Ennis-Kennedy-Kaleta

Hecht-Gaustad-Grier

It would require someone to be on IR (or Mair being sent to Portland), but it would be fun to see what that "third" line could do. The "fourth" line would, of course, be more like your traditional third (checking) line.

I want Ennis to come up tonight:

Vanek-Connolly-Hecht

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Ennis-Kennedy-Kaleta

Mair-Gaustad-Ellis

Hecht has been having good games and is leading the team in shots.

He looked really good last night.

Ride that pony up with TV and The Skill.

Connolly needs to stop using KY on his stick blades.

He lost a lot of pucks last night.

Vanek is due for a break-out.

Win

Win

Win

I have a feeling that this game is a watershed game... Win and the ship is righted... win big and exercise some of those Senators demons. Lose, and we might be in for a real crappy holiday season thanks to the Sabres. Lets Go Buffalo!!!

I see it this way too.

Hecht has been having good games and is leading the team in shots. He looked really good last night.

Just want some bloody goals here. I'm on board with calling up Ennis.The kid is slick. Not a fan of Hecht. He skates, he checks but what about that $3.8 million. What has he done to earn it? It's not even close in my mind. He's the Sabres version of Gary Matthews Jr. I've been less than impressed with Pominville too. He takes too many shots from long range and none of em go in. It's a bit frustrating to watch Kaleta because he can get open, but the kid has stone hands.

Not to be too pessimistic, but you've got to admit, this smells like trouble.

Ottawa always is, but luckily there will be no Kovalev to have to deal with. Shean Donovan will be out too. Looking at the Sabres, 7 of their top 8 scorers are now minus players. Only Tyler Myers is above water 5 on 5. Kaleta and Gaustad look really good with +6 beside their names. If only the talented players we had on this team had the intensity and hustle that these two do...

Hmmm...could really use a win against Ottawa? I think it's going to be a loss. But, hopefully we can at least get a point. Miller all the way again. I'm not sure when we'll ever see Lalime play. Unless they shoot Stafford up, I'd also like to see Ennis return and get another game with the big club. At least they don't have Heatley anymore. Rambling....

I have a feeling that this game is a watershed game... Win and the ship is righted... win big and exercise some of those Senators demons. Lose, and we might be in for a real crappy holiday season thanks to the Sabres. Lets Go Buffalo!!!

Couldn't have said it better. +1

Stafford out.

Sekera in.

Montador or Sekera at forward.

Probably Lalime.

(Link)

Doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence about tonight.

Interesting, playing either Sekera or Mantador at forward or just 11 if that doesn't work out. :rolleyes: .

I wonder if Portland finally starting to play well together factored into a 'let's be kind and not upset the farm' non move here ? If they had pulled someone I know Ennis looked good last week and this will be blasphemy to many here but I was thinking Mancari deserved a look/shot here tonight with this one.

We do need to play him so I guess Lalime makes sense since Miller's record against Ottawa is not good especially the last couple of years.

I am really watching to see how they respond tonight. What I would like see more of from this team is bolded in this statement from Chara last night. "Chara added: “So much depends on controlling the puck and controlling the play. I tried to find a lane and wrist it to the net. It’s a really innocent, simple play, but those plays make a difference.”

This is what this team really needs to figure out!

All right Sabres let's play a inspired game for the backup, fans and your Dads tonight!! ( I heard them say between periods that they allowed the players dads on this trip tonight, hey great ploy if it get's them to play harder, I know I'm on my boy when he is just going through the motions playing his sports.)

Let's go Buffalo.

Not a fan of Hecht. He skates, he checks but what about that $3.8 million. What has he done to earn it? It's not even close in my mind. He's the Sabres version of Gary Matthews Jr.

I am not a fan of Hecht either.

In fact, I thought he should have been traded (yeah, right)/ released last season or over the Summer.

He has come back to life, and though not so explosive, he is contributing effectively enough.

It does remind me when he was doing all the heavy lifting for Briere and Pommer a few seasons ago.

Hopefully last season was his 'lost weekend' and he plays out his contract justly.

I would not re-sign the man (unless cheap).

Stafford out.

Sekera in.

Probably Lalime.

(Link)

There are some players (Roy) who are still attached to so many bad habits.

They (scoring line centers) fall back into them easily.

TRy-to-be-too-pretty plays(#9), that goddamn-one-extra-pass (Roy) (AAaagggghhhh!!!!)

(Is there a hidden theme there?)

And as far as playing with eleven forwards, they did that last night.

# 41 may have not even dressed.

He was horrible.

Like him or not - Mair will gladly take the extra ice time and give 100%.

He's no polished, slick forward, but will play smartly enough to contribute.

Stafford out.

Sekera in.

Probably Lalime.

(Link)

Interesting. Probably so that when whatever is wrong with Rivet shows up in the third, they can sit him and move back to D. Then roll three forward lines like last night as well.

4-1 Sabres.

I don't think Patty gets enough credit. He looked damn good those first 5 games when he covered for Miller. It's not his fault that was arguably the worst stretch of games the rest of the team had all season.

Any word from BFLO if he is in net or is it a game time secret?

Not to be too pessimistic, but you've got to admit, this smells like trouble.

Yes.

I've been less than impressed with Pominville too. He takes too many shots from long range and none of em go in.

...often because a ridiculously high %age miss the net entirely. I'm pretty down on him too. $5.3MM for him for the next 5 years is looking like a really awful contract.

The thought just occurred to me that PA may get what he has been bitching for: more ice time for Vanek. He was on the PK last night and LR had good things to say about his game.

He did seem to be stepping a bit livelier. The Sabres could really use some more scoring, so let's hope he's coming around.

Archived