Booth from FLA got hit badly tonight...

TM8-PL16

I don't know if anyone else saw this yet, but in between periods, I flipped around and saw the replays of the Philly/Florida game and Booth got totally lit up, he was knocked out immediately. Laid on the ice motionless and it looked scary. he was taken off on a stretcher.

I hope he is OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGaZJvjEJM8

I don't know if anyone else saw this yet, but in between periods, I flipped around and saw the replays of the Philly/Florida game and Booth got totally lit up, he was knocked out immediately. Laid on the ice motionless and it looked scary. he was taken off on a stretcher.

I hope he is OK.

here's a link to it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGaZJvjEJM8

That hit reminded me alot of the one on Drury a few years ago...........

I hope he is OK.

here's a link to it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGaZJvjEJM8

wow...that looked like a blatant shot to the head...let's see if the NHL wants to really end this type of crap or if they are just playing lip service to it...

I just saw the replay and literally got sick to my stomach ... the way he landed was scary. There was no elbow I don't think but still it was blind side ... I am sure Booth will be blamed for glancing over his shoulder but I don't think it would have mattered, Richards came so fast from such an angle, there was no avoiding that one.

I defended the Mitchell hit on Toews until I was blue in the face...

No chance in hell I stand by this garbage. These shoulder/elbow hits that are coming from the side, similar to a slew-foot approach, but cheaper, are completely outside the realm of clean, physical hockey.

I'm a big fan of Mike Richards & his style of play, but he deserves 10 games minimum for that blindside cheap shot.

Someone has to die. Then they'll finally do something.

This reminds me of the trent edwards' helmet thread over at TBD. Yes, someone is going to have to die or be permanently injured due to a cheap shot or an injury that results from bad equipment before the nhl does something. Same thing with the NFL and the neurological problems that former players have. Someone's going to have to die or be paralyzed as a direct result of the current helmets before something is done. It's unfortunate, but its going to happen.

This is the type of hit that needs to go. This is no Willie Mitchell hit on Toews. This is cheap and clearly a head shot.

Plus it's a blindside hit.

Even if Booth has his head up, there's no way he can see Richards coming until the last milisecond, because he comes in sideways from behind.

Cheap, punk-ass move that I'd expect from most Flyers, though not Mike Richards.

Should be 10. But it won't be.

Just finished reading the Philly HF Boards site. Pretty muted.. Most agree it was bad and late. I'm thinking three still on top of game misconduct. Richards' reputation will be a factor here.

Just finished reading the Philly HF Boards site. Pretty muted.. Most agree it was bad and late. I'm thinking three still on top of game misconduct. Richards' reputation will be a factor here.

Of course, the trogs over at flyersphans think it's Booth's fault or that nothing was wrong; here's a selection (spelling is theirs, not mine)...

"He's in the hospital...where he belongs, for being a dumbass."

"I'm sure Richards will get suspended for waring orange in this piece of sh*t joke of a league. Bank on it."

"the hit was "inapropriate"; what is this, a jr. high dance?"

"let's face it. it was a clean hit. but it was done by a flyer. so there will be a suspension."

Notice who the true victims are: the Cryers.

Of course, the trogs over at flyersphans think it's Booth's fault or that nothing was wrong; here's a selection (spelling is theirs, not mine)...

"I'm sure Richards will get suspended for waring orange in this piece of sh*t joke of a league. Bank on it."

"let's face it. it was a clean hit. but it was done by a flyer. so there will be a suspension."

That's to be expected in the sense that rarely will fans call out their own guy, but the implication that the league comes down hard on Philly is a joke. The league doesn't come down hard on anyone, that's why stuff like this keeps happening.

There were alaso several knee-to-knee hits last night, including one in the Flyers game ... will be interesting to see how those are dealt with. Often they are accidental and deserve a penalty for sure but there is little intent, it is a last-second reflex ... there is nothing reflex about the head shots, yet the league seems more tolerant of them.

Taking crying to a whole new nevel.

Douchebags.

Youtube has been a godsend for hockey fans. Think about it, in the past, you'd have to wait until 11p to see that on SportsCenter. Now, that was available almost immediately. Sure has changed the way we serve up our hockey..

Somewhat worse than some of the hits I've called out, but, really, not a lot. Richards didn't charge him. Booth had just lost possession of the puck. Didn't look like an elbow. It was a more direct shot to the head, but is that worse than hitting someone on the chin? Blind side? Sort of, but is it illegal to hit someone from the side?

Bottom line for me is that ALL of this garbage has to be taken out of the game. These plays have almost everything to do with taking out an opponent, even if it kills him, and very little to do with preventing a goal ("a hockey play").

Sounds like he won't even get suspended according to tsn. Richards is a punk. He ran into Fleury a couple weeks ago as well. Problem is, no one will do anything to him cuz the Flyers are filled with goons.

That's from the GM of the Flyers... Not exactly a trusted source in this matter..

Looks like no suspension for the hit: check it out.

Ridiculous. The players' union deserves plenty of blame for not making this an issue, but frankly the owners and GMs have a moral duty, IMHO, to eliminate this from the game.

It's incredible. But, in the link you've provided (thanks), Campbell is quoted as saying, ""I'm certainly concerned about player safety, but I'm more concerned about..." What comes after "about" really doesn't matter, does it?

It's incredible. But, in the link you've provided (thanks), Campbell is quoted as saying, ""I'm certainly concerned about player safety, but I'm more concerned about..." What comes after "about" really doesn't matter, does it?

I'm actually at the point now where if the league doesn't care and the NHLPA doesn't care, then why should I? It's not me getting hurt, and as long as the next time it happens it isn't to a Sabre, then so be it.

I'm actually at the point now where if the league doesn't care and the NHLPA doesn't care, then why should I? It's not me getting hurt, and as long as the next time it happens it isn't to a Sabre, then so be it.

Because it's a young man who doesn't know any better and who might not be able to play with his kids when he's our age.

I not only agree with nfreeman's response to your posting, but I'm also going to be more blunt than he was. Your comment was just totally wrong. To say that it was filled with rank apathy is an understatement.

No sane and rational hockey fan wants to see this happen to any player regardless of who he plays for. Alexei Cherepanov comes to mind. A Rangers prospect who dies in the middle of a hockey game while sitting on the bench. Same thing almost happened to Jiri Fischer a few years ago.

No matter how much Todd Bertuzzi is still hated for that hit on Steve Moore a few years back, the man has expressed remorse over that incident. IIRC, his play has not been the same since then.

My two cents for now...

Because it's a young man who doesn't know any better and who might not be able to play with his kids when he's our age.

I don't buy that for a second. These guys know what they're getting in to when they step on to NHL ice. This is the big show. Where everything is faster, harder, and less restricted than any other league they've played in during the previous years of their career. This kind of stuff doesn't happen nearly as often in Juniors and the AHL because players in those leagues know that their goal is to make it to the big dance. Once you're in the NHL, it's a different story. There's no higher to go. It's no longer about playing with guys who have the same goal in mind of proving they're worth it. Now they're with guys who have proven it, and are simply out to do whatever it takes to win a game. I think there's a huge difference between the NHL and other leagues with regard to respect for other players, in that the higher you go, the less there is. If you make that transition to the NHL, you should know what to expect. It's not like we haven't been seeing this stuff for years.

And it's really too bad that players at the NHL level should have to be prepared to take career ending injuries in order to accomplish having a successful career in the first place.

"Come and see the violence inherent in the system!"

Archived