Paille traded to Bruins for 3rd rd pick + conditional

Calvin

Interesting. Isn't Darcy the "we don't have to make a move until we have to" guy? He won't commit to Myers for that reason.

I guess I have to have one of the sophisticated hockey people on this board explain to me why I should be excited, or satisfied, or pleased. The Sabres made a trade -- the Sabres are not better -- they are slightly weakened, in fact. Yay.

Here's another first-rounder the organization couldn't develop. Sent away for nothing. It's not a good day. I'm just a hater, though, who can't appreciate the brilliance of the move.

Once again, you spin anything & everything into a negative.

He is an under-producing former first round pick.

He wasn't in the Sabres plans this year or any future year.

The Sabres spun a marginal 3rd line forward into a 3rd and possible 4th round pick.

Why do the "haters" blame the organization for a failed player?

Do you ever hold the player accountable?

I suppose this is all DR's fault...or Lindy's fault...or maybe Dick Jauron's fault in your eyes.

The fact that Paille is no longer an asset to the Sabres organization is strictly his own doing.

I hope Paille does well in Boston and has a long career in the NHL.

That said, I am ecstatic that this front office finally found the stones to say enough is enough when it comes to one of their one[sic]. I did not want to see Paille flounder around here until the Sabres rights ran out. Paille may be the first, I hope he is not the last.

Of all of the posts in the thread, I agree with the sentiment (and brevity) here the most.

I think, if anything, this may be a signal they intend to keep Myers on the roster.

However, I would be really happy if there were more things in the works that makes the team that much more of a contender. Perhaps Gerbe will get the wish-he-did-not-wish and is part of a trade with picks and maybe Tallinder or Lydman. Wish...wish...wish...

Satisfied is the right emotion, maybe pleased, and not excited. The team is better; it rid itself of dead weight in case it needs to bring someone on later. Got a third-rounder in exchange, which may be more than Paille is worth. Sure, he was a first-round pick, but this is the NHL. Lots of 'em don't work out, especially those taken in the late end of the round. And assuming it was a mistake to take Paille in the draft (I would agree), would you prefer that the team hang on to him? Or cut its losses now?

If it's the former rather than the latter, well, let's play poker sometime.

If dead weight is a guy who gets into the lineup for the first time and produces two goals for the team, I'd hate to see what you would call Adam Mair. I know carp is cringing at the thought.

Should they have tried Paille at center or right wing before deciding to trade him away? How about defense - he could have went for the "offensive defenseman" thing. What about as a replacement for Lalime? I bet he could be better than Lalime in net.

I think I have changed my mind. Paille deserved more of a shot on the team, he could have been put at different positions. Why, I would have liked to have seen Paille serving me my Coke and popcorn first before he was moved from the Sabres organization for picks that could potentially be used to improve the team in a trade later this season and at the same time clearing up a roster spot for a player who is making an immediate splash in an area where they need talent now more than they do at left wing.

Getting a 3rd, and possibly a 4th, for Danny is a good trade. He was never going to be worth that much here.

The only thing I don't like about the trade is he went in division. Although, if he plays in Boston the way he typically played here, then I guess that's a good thing.

It's funny Darcy trades an ex first round pick in Paille to Boston for a 3rd and a conditional 4th. And then last year trades a second rounder away for a rental player. Yeah that's great value. Plus I'm not a fan of trading one of our players to a division team. Not the brighest move. I think Paille needed a change of scenary but it should have been a team out west not a division rival.

It's funny Darcy trades an ex first round pick in Paille to Boston for a 3rd and a conditional 4th. And then last year trades a second rounder away for a rental player. Yeah that's great value. Plus I'm not a fan of trading one of our players to a division team. Not the brighest move. I think Paille needed a change of scenary but it should have been a team out west not a division rival.

of course, you say this because Darcy had a choice of which of the 29 teams he could have traded Paille to, since he was really in demand being such an excellent and consistent forward in keeping with his first round selection in the 2002 draft.

he didn't fit in the plans here, so instead of dangling him around the roster, they shipped him out for picks. i don't necessarily like the picks we got back, but if the picks are packaged into something for another trade or even some fresh talent, that is not a bad thing.

for years we have been yelling that the FO does nothing in-season, short of at the trade deadline - now they have, and i like it!

Once again, you spin anything & everything into a negative.

He is an under-producing former first round pick.

He wasn't in the Sabres plans this year or any future year.

The Sabres spun a marginal 3rd line forward into a 3rd and possible 4th round pick.

Why do the "haters" blame the organization for a failed player?

Do you ever hold the player accountable?

I suppose this is all DR's fault...or Lindy's fault...or maybe Dick Jauron's fault in your eyes.

The fact that Paille is no longer an asset to the Sabres organization is strictly his own doing.

I was just about to reply to PA's message when I saw your reply... no need now. You said it perfectly.

I don't have any problems with this trade. Frankly, I had always hoped the Sabres traded Paille right after he scored 19 goals when his value was at its highest. I liked Paille, but his lack of consistency was his problem. He needed a change of scenery, and that was clear. I still think he has all the talent to become a 20 goal scorer and Selke type candidate, but he could never put it all together here in Buffalo, presumably that's a mental thing. At the NHL level, everyone's got talent, it's about mental toughness and hard work, and I think Paille was lacking in those two areas, at least in Buffalo.

I'm glad the Sabres got something for him, but I was hoping for a better deal. Since I've been calling for his trade for the better part of 2 years, I'm satisfied with it since there really was no room on the roster for him. I take this to mean that either Sekera is closer to returning than we all initially thought and the Sabres probably had to make a move, or Boston was looking for a cheaper replacement for Kobasew and found it in Paille and just wanted to get the deal done ASAP. Either way, he's Claude Julien's problem and not Lindy Ruff's.

There is a lot of talk that they are gathering up prospects/picks to make a move for Kovalchuk. As of right now, they have 9 picks in the first 2 rounds in the next 2 years. Picks and some of their big young kids could land Kovy...

I think you've been visiting Ek too often this season.

Here's another first-rounder the organization couldn't develop.

Between Vanek and Turgeon, the list is fairly ugly.

Why does it matter where they drafted Paille? If the team traded Ellis for a third would you have been equally disappointed? Me thinks not. Right now, Danny Paille was no better than Matt Ellis. If you want to complain about developing draft picks, you may have a case but they got what they could.

Let me go on record as saying I like this trade. Paille was never going to be a top 6 forward here and I doubt he ever will be anywhere else. He is a useful player but in the salary cap era 3rd and 4th liners are easily replaced.

As for those listing him as another top pick not making it for Buffalo, I challenge you to go back and look at that draft, or other NHL draft's for that matter. There are about 3 or 4 players drafted in the first or second round after Paille that have had any impact in the NHL. The draft is a crap shoot and its actually one thing the team does well. You make a pick and hope for the best and every once in awhile you hope to strike gold. One of the keys is to decide quickly what you have in a player and how he fits into your organization and once he becomes redundant, turn that asset into a couple of picks that you might get lucky with.

And that scares me. I don't think Gerbe is worthy of being the top call up. It doesn't even matter who he replaces. We have absolutely no depth at forward (skilled forward) at all. We have tons of grinders.... McCormick, Cowen, Schutz, even Mancari i guess you could say and obviously Ellis/Mair.

There is no one to blame but DR for this. Go to HF or sabresprospects.com and look at the list of prospects. There are a glut of dmen in the system and a lack of forwards, but DR keeps right on drafting them. Sort of like the Bills and DB's.

Even last year when they only had 6 picks and knowing they are lacking in the forward department, two of the picks were blueliners.

I'm not sure why DR doesn't try and trade some of the blueline prospects in juniors, college or in Portland to a team that has a surplus of forwards in their system.

Don't like to see a former #1 being given up on but Paille never made the lineup in all his time here. Then again, Mair did...I don't like to see him go to a competitor in our own division too but to me that's the ultimate statement that the kid is a dud from the Sabres perspective...In the future I hope they don't trade for any draft picks past 12/21/12...http://www.endworld2012.com/

Imagine being in Florida with your team, doing team building stuff, and being told that you're traded. Timing is everything.

Never thought of it that way. Maybe this was the team building activity, "You better play to your potential or you're gone."

I'll agree with the fact that the Sabres seem to draft well, but most of their gems have come in rounds other than round 1.

Since the criminals have been out of the picture, I don't think they've done too badly in the 1st.

Big hit: Vanek

Decent hit (to potentially big hit): Stafford, Myers

Miss: Zagrapan, Persson

Too early to tell: Ennis, Kassian.

3-5 NHLers isn't bad out of 7 picks. When you are trying to project how an 18 yr old kid is going to play 3+ years down the road, there is an element of crapshoot to it.

Since the criminals have been out of the picture, I don't think they've done too badly in the 1st.

Big hit: Vanek

Decent hit (to potentially big hit): Stafford, Myers

Miss: Zagrapan, Persson

Too early to tell: Ennis, Kassian.

3-5 NHLers isn't bad out of 7 picks. When you are trying to project how an 18 yr old kid is going to play 3+ years down the road, there is an element of crapshoot to it.

Way too many people are expecting the NHL draft to be just like the NFL draft. There is nothing like the NHL draft. No other league is drafting guys that you won't see for 2+ years. Once that pick is spent, it's spent. You can't look back 6 years later and say "we used a 1st on this kid so we better get a 1st in return". Nothing is that simple. You'll be lucky to see 3 real deal, guaranteed prospects in any draft. Those guys sure as hell aren't around at #20. If I had to change one thing you said above, I'd get rid of that "element of crapshoot". The NHL draft is a complete crap shoot beyond the top 3-5 picks.

Way too many people are expecting the NHL draft to be just like the NFL draft. There is nothing like the NHL draft. No other league is drafting guys that you won't see for 2+ years. Once that pick is spent, it's spent. You can't look back 6 years later and say "we used a 1st on this kid so we better get a 1st in return". Nothing is that simple. You'll be lucky to see 3 real deal, guaranteed prospects in any draft. Those guys sure as hell aren't around at #20. If I had to change one thing you said above, I'd get rid of that "element of crapshoot". The NHL draft is a complete crap shoot beyond the top 3-5 picks.

MLB is a bigger crapshoot, they have something like 30 rounds and guys take a long time to develop too. But i agree the NHL is a crapshoot.

Guys dont always work out, i like the move, get rid of a guy you know isnt gonna work in your system, maybe draft some that will.

I think some fans in Buffalo have an obsession with physical guys, grinders. THis team needs more offense not grit.

Archived