Paille traded to Bruins for 3rd rd pick + conditional

Calvin

MLB is a bigger crapshoot, they have something like 30 rounds and guys take a long time to develop too. But i agree the NHL is a crapshoot.

Guys dont always work out, i like the move, get rid of a guy you know isnt gonna work in your system, maybe draft some that will.

I think some fans in Buffalo have an obsession with physical guys, grinders. THis team needs more offense not grit.

Agreed. I'd say more than some. Which is why the last year has been almost branded with the theme of Getting Tougher. Bigger, Stronger, Grittier, whatever. Kaleta, Rivet, Montador, Kassian, Foligno, Joe Davola, Grier etc. More grease, sandpaper, grit, dirt, filth, stank... smegma. Everything except More Talented.

I fear it's nothing more than keeping the fan base happy and stringing us all along for a couple more years, when, the story goes, the Sabres will finally be tough, big, strong etc. enough to compete in a league that changed to that style two years ago! Who knows what will be in vogue when Kassian's a Sabre in 2011-12.

I'm sure nfreeman will this obtense. That poster think Regier and Ruff will be gone if the Sabres miss the playoffs. I think the plan is for them to argue for more time -- and I think LQ and OSP, not being hockey men, will fall for it.

Agreed. I'd say more than some. Which is why the last year has been almost branded with the theme of Getting Tougher. Bigger, Stronger, Grittier, whatever. Kaleta, Rivet, Montador, Kassian, Foligno, Joe Davola, Grier etc. More grease, sandpaper, grit, dirt, filth, stank... smegma. Everything except More Talented.

I fear it's nothing more than keeping the fan base happy and stringing us all along for a couple more years, when, the story goes, the Sabres will finally be tough, big, strong etc. enough to compete in a league that changed to that style two years ago! Who knows what will be in vogue when Kassian's a Sabre in 2011-12.

I'm sure nfreeman will this obtense. That poster think Regier and Ruff will be gone if the Sabres miss the playoffs. I think the plan is for them to argue for more time -- and I think LQ and OSP, not being hockey men, will fall for it.

The conspiracy continues! It's a good thing you're here to speak truth to power (although the 1st 2 sentences of your last paragraph seem to be written in some kind of code).

The conspiracy continues! It's a good thing you're here to speak truth to power (although the 1st 2 sentences of your last paragraph seem to be written in some kind of code).

I enjoy that I can mention your name, and you come running like a good little lapdog. Now quit licking yourself.

Willlllllllbbbbbbbuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Way too many people are expecting the NHL draft to be just like the NFL draft. There is nothing like the NHL draft. No other league is drafting guys that you won't see for 2+ years. Once that pick is spent, it's spent. You can't look back 6 years later and say "we used a 1st on this kid so we better get a 1st in return". Nothing is that simple. You'll be lucky to see 3 real deal, guaranteed prospects in any draft. Those guys sure as hell aren't around at #20. If I had to change one thing you said above, I'd get rid of that "element of crapshoot". The NHL draft is a complete crap shoot beyond the top 3-5 picks.

Great post. Guys really do change a lot from their late teens to their early twenties. And not just physically, but mentally as well.

Looking at the Sabres organization as a whole, I don't think Regier has been that bad at drafting. Two or so years from now, we could potentially start this all-Sabres draft pick lineup (I highlighted those still in the minors):

Miller

Enroth

Myers-Brennan

Sekera-Butler

Schiestel-Weber

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

MacArthur-Ennis-Pominville

Gogulla-Adam-Kassian

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

I enjoy that I can mention your name, and you come running like a good little lapdog. Now quit licking yourself.

Willlllllllbbbbbbbuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

I've been around and around on this, and I just can't figure out why women stay away from you.

Getting a 3rd, and possibly a 4th, for Danny is a good trade. He was never going to be worth that much here.

The only thing I don't like about the trade is he went in division. Although, if he plays in Boston the way he typically played here, then I guess that's a good thing.

:thumbsup: It just shows you how little they could have gotten for him elsewhere that he goes in division

Seems like a good trade for everyone involved. Paille wasn't making an impact here, but he could do well for a team like Boston that is having injury problems at forward. So the Sabres make room to bring up guys from Portland who need NHL minutes and get one or two decent draft picks - Paille is living proof that there's not much difference in the NHL between a late 1st rounder and a 3rd or 4th rounder. Boston gets a guy who may just need a change of scenery to fulfill his potential. Paille gets a clean slate and hopefully does well for himself. Everybody wins, until Paille inevitably scores 8 goals against the Sabres this year.

Seems like a good trade for everyone involved. Paille wasn't making an impact here, but he could do well for a team like Boston that is having injury problems at forward. So the Sabres make room to bring up guys from Portland who need NHL minutes and get one or two decent draft picks - Paille is living proof that there's not much difference in the NHL between a late 1st rounder and a 3rd or 4th rounder. Boston gets a guy who may just need a change of scenery to fulfill his potential. Paille gets a clean slate and hopefully does well for himself. Everybody wins, until Paille inevitably scores 8 goals against the Sabres this year.

Change of scenery=new coach/new system? When you have a bunch of guys who need a "change of scenery," wouldn't it be easier to change the scenery here? Certainly no one would believe that the picturesque New England scenes could turn Paille's career around.

What if he did less of that but kept scoring at his 07-08 pace? Would he still be a Sabre?

Why is Adam Mair still a Sabre?

Mair may have leadership qualities that Paille doesn't have; he certainly has more experience. But I, for one, would not have had a problem if the same trade was for Mair.

Mair may have leadership qualities that Paille doesn't have; he certainly has more experience. But I, for one, would not have had a problem if the same trade was for Mair.

I think Sabre Nation would be in revolt today.

Hey, the Bruins' Marc Savard is out long term with a broken foot. Maybe Boston's GM can do some more bargain shopping over at The Sabres Store. I mean, we have so much depth. Gotta move that merchandise.

I think Sabre Nation would be in revolt today.

Hey, the Bruins' Marc Savard is out long term with a broken foot. Maybe Boston's GM can do some more bargain shopping over at The Sabres Store. I mean, we have so much depth. Gotta move that merchandise.

Which team was it that has missed the playoffs the last two years? ;)

Sending away some of the old parts doesn't bother me too much.

Whether it is all the injuries and/or he no longer has the desire to play the style that got him to the NHL, Mair is a shadow of his former self and to me has become just another guy who is easily replaceable.

Also showing signs of starting down this road, but at a much higher salary is Gaustad. For the Sabres sake, let's hope he has a U turn in his near future.

Change of scenery=new coach/new system? When you have a bunch of guys who need a "change of scenery," wouldn't it be easier to change the scenery here? Certainly no one would believe that the picturesque New England scenes could turn Paille's career around.

Easier, yes. More effective? Well, that's the $64 question, innit?

Also, it's worth noting that the Habs, Rangers and Thrashers changed their players, not their coaches, during the offseason. So far it's working for 2 out of 3.

Mair's also cheaper than Paille to keep around. Having said that, I too would've been fine if he'd been traded.

Whether it is all the injuries and/or he no longer has the desire to play the style that got him to the NHL, Mair is a shadow of his former self and to me has become just another guy who is easily replaceable.

Also showing signs of starting down this road, but at a much higher salary is Gaustad. For the Sabres sake, let's hope he has a U turn in his near future.

I think Gaustad has played well this year.

Anyone else you want to trade while you're fleecing the rest of the NHL GM's with your salary dumps?

The Gaustad comment is way off base.

What has he done to show he's slipping? He's an excellent face-off guy, good on the PK, scores an occasional goal and has the physical play to match his size.

The 3rd line of Hecht, Goose and Grier has been Buffalo's most consistent this season...

Crazy Joe Davola... I love it. :thumbsup:

Great post. Guys really do change a lot from their late teens to their early twenties. And not just physically, but mentally as well.

Looking at the Sabres organization as a whole, I don't think Regier has been that bad at drafting. Two or so years from now, we could potentially start this all-Sabres draft pick lineup (I highlighted those still in the minors):

Miller

Enroth

Myers-Brennan

Sekera-Butler

Schiestel-Weber

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

MacArthur-Ennis-Pominville

Gogulla-Adam-Kassian

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Something's not right here. You start your post talking about how these young kids can change quite a bit after being drafted, then you go and list a roster half filled with recent draft picks. It seems somewhat contradictory to me. Some of these guys will be moved, others will be signed/traded for, but we will never see the roster you set up.

Anyone else you want to trade while you're fleecing the rest of the NHL GM's with your salary dumps?

What has he done to show he's slipping? He's an excellent face-off guy, good on the PK, scores an occasional goal and has the physical play to match his size.

The 3rd line of Hecht, Goose and Grier has been Buffalo's most consistent this season...

A 3rd line center who doesnt really score, is good on faceoffs ...... all for 2.5 million what a steal....

I could be wrong, but hasn't Kennedy centred Grier and Hecht the last three or four games. I though they dropped the goose to the 4th line. Saying that, I agree with you that he has played relatively well so far this season.

I could be wrong, but hasn't Kennedy centred Grier and Hecht the last three or four games. I though they dropped the goose to the 4th line. Saying that, I agree with you that he has played relatively well so far this season.

Since the second game goose has been with kaleta and Ellis. Kennedy with Hecht and Grier.

Aren't their face-offs won up this year...so far? I haven't seen face-offs as a problem yet, which means the centers are doing their jobs - theoretically.

Caveats - or the like - love them! Or not.

Gaustad is nowhere near the physical player he was when he first came up. That is his most important asset by far. If the Sabres are paying almost 2.5 mil for a guy who is good at faceoffs and on the PK, they are not getting their moneys worth.

Yes his small sample of play so far this year has been decent. Let's see if he keeps it up.

PS I didn't say I wanted to trade Gaustad.

Archived