I'm ready!

Corp000085

After years upon years of suffering, I'm now rockin' it in the HDTV world. Got a Samsung 8000 series 46" LED tv yesterday. I am absolutely blown away by the picture quality and the actual unit itself. This thing weighs about 30 lbs and is literally an inch thick. It's being mounted on the wall saturday morning, just in time for the Sabres to open up saturday night. Center ICe says that they're in HD, but we shall see if the games truly are. If not on MSG, they will be on vs, nhln, and hdnet. This thing is absolutely stunning... Now, onto the next step: PS3 and upgrading netflix to bluray.

After years upon years of suffering, I'm now rockin' it in the HDTV world. Got a Samsung 8000 series 46" LED tv yesterday. I am absolutely blown away by the picture quality and the actual unit itself. This thing weighs about 30 lbs and is literally an inch thick. It's being mounted on the wall saturday morning, just in time for the Sabres to open up saturday night. Center ICe says that they're in HD, but we shall see if the games truly are. If not on MSG, they will be on vs, nhln, and hdnet. This thing is absolutely stunning... Now, onto the next step: PS3 and upgrading netflix to bluray.

I just got a 42" Panasonic plasma, and I'm equally gassed.

Thing is: I already want a bigger one.

Awesome, Corp! I got my 50" plasma in March '08 and I've been loving it ever since. I get MSG-HD, but the Albany market doesn't show the Sabres on that - just "regular" MSG. The picture quality is still outstanding and it's quite a difference going back to a "normal" tv to watch a hockey game. We hooked our Wii up to it, also.

Enjoy!

Awesome, Corp! I got my 50" plasma in March '08 and I've been loving it ever since. I get MSG-HD, but the Albany market doesn't show the Sabres on that - just "regular" MSG. The picture quality is still outstanding and it's quite a difference going back to a "normal" tv to watch a hockey game. We hooked our Wii up to it, also.

Enjoy!

I just got a 42" Phillips. I, too, am ready.

At least we're doing our part for the economy.

I need to chat with Comcast. I can never seem to find the HD games on CI here (Philly area). It would be nice.

I'm looking around for one right now, but I'm one of those researcher types. So, I'll ask you guys.

What, besides size, made you get the LCD/Plasma/LED you got?

I'm thinking the Panasonic plasma 58" S1 model right now.

Price.

I went into the store dead set on a 46" set. My room is a decent size and I figured if anything, I would opt up, and get a 50". I found the 42" plenty big enough and just couldn't pass up the price. They get a lot bigger once you bring them home.

Price.

I went into the store dead set on a 46" set. My room is a decent size and I figured if anything, I would opt up, and get a 50". I found the 42" plenty big enough and just couldn't pass up the price. They get a lot bigger once you bring them home.

I was thinking the same thing. I was set on looking for a 27-32 range. When your looking at 20 TV's at the same time you can tell the 50's are ginormous compared to the 32-42 range. I ended up getting a 50 and got it home thinking, "now where the hell am I spose to put this thing?"

I would really say it depends on your room layout too. I sit about 15 feet away from it and still can see everything great and I have a 27" in the bedroom which is about 8 feet away and both look about the same.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, the current status is that if you live outside WNY, you will not get the Sabres' MSG feed in HD. Until about the middle of last year, all of the Sabres' home games were on in HD, but they suddenly stopped showing the HD feed, and the Buff. News mentioned in today's paper that this was going to continue.

Other teams (some, not all) have their games in HD, so you'll still get the Sabres in HD when they play those teams or when they are on VS. But the Canadian teams' HD feeds aren't on CI (at least not on DirecTV), so for the Sabres' games against the Habs, Leafs and Senators, it's SD only. Pretty annoying, because the games are being broadcast in HD, and if you pay for CI you'd think that you'd get the HD, but that's how it is. Maybe it'll improve this year.

I have a 27" Sony WEGA that I am in no hurry to replace. In the meantime, the prices continue to drop and the technology gets better.

You should be. I have two LCD's in the house, a 42" in the living room and a 47" in the bedroom. I also have a digital projector in the basement it's current configuration projects about 8' x 6'. I also have a b-day coming up and I'm asking for Walmart gift cards so I can purchase 2 26" LCD's to install above my bar.

I'd say it's time to upgrade!

I'm looking around for one right now, but I'm one of those researcher types. So, I'll ask you guys.

I'm thinking the Panasonic plasma 58" S1 model right now.

I think I also heard that plasmas were better if you were going to be playing games on them - since we were planning on a Wii, that's why we got it. I don't have anything to compare it to, of course, but it's good enough. :thumbsup:

There are a lot little things to look at. Generally, though, as technology has improved, most of the advantages of plasma have been corrected (to varying degrees) in LCDs. There are a few plasmas still being made and most of their disadvantages (e.g., burn in) have been corrected, but LCDs are definitely the industry standard.

If you plan on using a blueray player (including PS3), 1080p is a must. Most current 1080p TVs are designed to accept a 1080p signal, but that wasn't always the case (strange, I know.) Cable (at least TW) only broadcasts in 720p or 1080i, which the TV converts ... or at least tries to. I haven't had time to find out why, but 1080i jumps (most noticeable on menus, etc., that should remain stationary) on our TV, so right now we have cable set to 720p. Watching a 720p TV at Best Buy (there still are one or two out there), text had noticeable pixelation along the edges. These seem to get smoothed in the conversion process when a 1080p TV plays a 720p signal.

To help with motion trails, 120Hz (or the few, new 240Hz) TVs are recommended. Again, this was noticeable on two otherwise similar TVs playing a football game. Of course, you never know what settings BB is using on the two and may intentionally not optimize lower price TVs. However, the concept makes sense, so I assume that it is true.

LEDs are the latest and greatest. They are very thin, if that matters to you, and the picture is better. However, they are still pretty expensive and not completely optimized yet (basically, first generation of a new technology.) We just got a Samsung 40" LCD (1080p, 120Hz) and will wait a generation before buying the LED.

I am by no means an expert in this area and didn't have the time to become one, so anyone can feel free to add to or correct anything that I have said.

There are a lot little things to look at. Generally, though, as technology has improved, most of the advantages of plasma have been corrected (to varying degrees) in LCDs. There are a few plasmas still being made and most of their disadvantages (e.g., burn in) have been corrected, but LCDs are definitely the industry standard.

If you plan on using a blueray player (including PS3), 1080p is a must. Most current 1080p TVs are designed to accept a 1080p signal, but that wasn't always the case (strange, I know.) Cable (at least TW) only broadcasts in 720p or 1080i, which the TV converts ... or at least tries to. I haven't had time to find out why, but 1080i jumps (most noticeable on menus, etc., that should remain stationary) on our TV, so right now we have cable set to 720p. Watching a 720p TV at Best Buy (there still are one or two out there), text had noticeable pixelation along the edges. These seem to get smoothed in the conversion process when a 1080p TV plays a 720p signal.

To help with motion trails, 120Hz (or the few, new 240Hz) TVs are recommended. Again, this was noticeable on two otherwise similar TVs playing a football game. Of course, you never know what settings BB is using on the two and may intentionally not optimize lower price TVs. However, the concept makes sense, so I assume that it is true.

LEDs are the latest and greatest. They are very thin, if that matters to you, and the picture is better. However, they are still pretty expensive and not completely optimized yet (basically, first generation of a new technology.) We just got a Samsung 40" LCD (1080p, 120Hz) and will wait a generation before buying the LED.

I am by no means an expert in this area and didn't have the time to become one, so anyone can feel free to add to or correct anything that I have said.

I don't want to jump on you here, but not all of this is quite right. Especially the LED part. I think you may be really confused about what the LED's do.

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/11/whats-an-led-tv/

I also think you bought into the LCD hype. Unfortunately, many people have and have pushed plasma's out of the smaller set market and no they only occupy the larger screen size space.

I think I also heard that plasmas were better if you were going to be playing games on them - since we were planning on a Wii, that's why we got it. I don't have anything to compare it to, of course, but it's good enough. :thumbsup:

I swear by Plasma HDTV's. In my family (different houses), we have 4 different HD tv's:

60" Mitsubishi DLP

42" Vizio LCD

50" Hitachi Plasma

50" Panasonic Viera (mine)

I notice a big differnce from DLP to LCD to Plasma in motion blur and general sharpness during fast action sports and PS3 video games such as Madden 10 or NHL 10.

DLP overall 7.5/10

LCD overall 8.5/10

Plasma 10/10 on both listed above.

When the Panasonic Viera comes out with a 70" Plasma under $3,000.00, I'll upgrade.

I swear by Plasma HDTV's. In my family (different houses), we have 4 different HD tv's:

60" Mitsubishi DLP

42" Vizio LCD

50" Hitachi Plasma

50" Panasonic Viera (mine)

I notice a big differnce from DLP to LCD to Plasma in motion blur and general sharpness during fast action sports and PS3 video games such as Madden 10 or NHL 10.

DLP overall 7.5/10

LCD overall 8.5/10

Plasma 10/10 on both listed above.

When the Panasonic Viera comes out with a 70" Plasma under $3,000.00, I'll upgrade.

Agreed i just upgraded to 50" plasma. Simply amazing color and sharpness.

I rock a 22-year-old GE, 24-inch TV (color) in a fake wood cabinet, old school style. I swear, the picture is getting better with age. I'm not replacing that beast until it blows up. Literally. The hockey looks fine to me. And with this team, maybe seeing too many details is not a good thing. Unless there's a closeup of JJ Pommers.

They get a lot bigger once you bring them home.

That's what she said.

I too just picked up a 42" Panasonic plasma, after my 30" Phillips HD crt TV took a crap. Best 800 bucks I've ever spent... I even went and bought a new surround sound receiver with HDMI switching so I can go between cable, blu ray, and my xbox 360 without ever changing the tv channel (because I'm a huge nerd - that and I wanted to listen to the better "HD" surround sound tracks on blu rays).

Even the upgrade from 1080i to 1080P is significant in my opinion. I'm bummed that I can't find any cable or OTA 1080p, I for some reason was under the impression that the local networks broadcast OTA feeds at 1080p (1080i is as good as it gets).

Right now the main advantage between plasma and LCD is pretty much price. Although if your TV will be used in a very bright room, LCD is the way to go, but in a dimly lit viewing environment, plasma gives you more bang for your buck. Also, for what it's worth, plasmas give off a lot more heat than LCD's, so you can look at that as an advantage or disadvantage...in the winter I'm sure I won't care at least.

Like the poster above me said, most of plasma's drawbacks have been corrected such as image retention and stuff like that, and LCD is catching up in areas like image blur. A lot of the time any picture flaws can be attributed to the source feed I've found. 1080p blu rays look absolutely flawless on both my tv and my parents (they have a 42ish inch LCD with I believe 120 refresh), but as the quality goes down the TV's are so crisp they definitely showcase the flaws in lesser resolution feeds.

One note to the Netflix subscriber looking to add bluray...when I got my bluray player last year, I did the same thing...and after months of receiving cracked after cracked disc, I finally took it off this week. Due to the way blurays are manufactured vs. DVD's, they tend to crack in the mail a LOT easier. I'm sure you'll get one soon enough, it's about a quarter of an inch long at the edge of the disc, and it'll either make it unreadable, or you'll miss about 30 minutes of whatever you're watching about an hour into the movie. I'm talking I got 4 copies of Gran Torino before I finally got one that I could watch...Currently I'm catching up on a lot of TV series they don't have on instant view, and after that I'm going to have to re-evaluate how badly I really need to drop a whooping 13 dollars a month on it. I might as well take that money and buy at least one blu ray a month and just grow my personal collection even more.

Sick! I got a 42 inch Sony and got a PS3 so if you do get a PS3 and wanna play me in NHL10 or something, i'm all game!

Once you watch HD you cant really ever go back to standard tv.

How come TVs set up in stores look so crappy? For that reason, I am honestly not even tempted to get one yet.

Archived