[OT] So, the Bills ...

carpandean

ST were not good this year by any means. Cost the Bills a game or two, in fact.

I assume you're talking about the New England and Cleveland games. I'll give you the first one, but I have a hard time holding that abortion of a game against the Browns against the special teams.

But yeah, I can live with April leaving. The special teams were just as bad as the rest of the team this year. If they want a complete overhaul of the staff, April can go too.

My brother and I were discussing the state of affairs in B-lo. Without an offensive and defensive line, it doesn't matter what else you throw onto the field. How about breaking the tendency to draft a DB, WR, QB, LB, or RB and expend all the draft picks of the next two drafts on D and O linemen? The rest of the players can be had through castoffs, free agency and walk ons.

Build the lines and the team will come....

They used 3 of their top 4 pick on the lines last year. Unfortunately, one of them(Maybin) sucked so bad he could barely get on the field. The year before that they spent a 3rd on another DE(Ellis) who remains on the inactive list for most games. So after using a first and a third on DE's, you still have no replacements for Schobel and/or Kelsay. Other than a QB(which they definitely need at some point), I'd have no problem loading up on OL/DL lineman.

Hopefully whoever the new coaching team is will try Maybin as a LB.

make him the holder on PATs and FGs. that way, he'll get on the field...

Isn't the new GM the same guy who was director of scouting? ie, isn't Maybin his find????

make him the holder on PATs and FGs. that way, he'll get on the field...

Isn't the new GM the same guy who was director of scouting? ie, isn't Maybin his find????

Unfortunately yes! He also drafted Byrd. When was the last time a Bills rookie made the pro-bowl. I hate the move because it is a cheap and lazy move. The GM search lasted as long as the Sabres "extensive self evaluation."

I am reserving judgement until we see who the coach is ...

We have no idea what Nix thought of Maybin ... in theory Dwayne Wright was drafted on someone's watch too, but it was Ralph Wilson who overruled his entire football department and ordered them to draft him two rounds after they drafted Marshawn Lynch. How many other picks were influenced by Wilson? As long as Wilson has input I have no faith in that organization, but maybe Nix can talk some sense into him more often than others have ... who knows ...

They used 3 of their top 4 pick on the lines last year. Unfortunately, one of them(Maybin) sucked so bad he could barely get on the field. The year before that they spent a 3rd on another DE(Ellis) who remains on the inactive list for most games. So after using a first and a third on DE's, you still have no replacements for Schobel and/or Kelsay. Other than a QB(which they definitely need at some point), I'd have no problem loading up on OL/DL lineman.

I think both Ellis and maybin would be great fits as outside speed rushing LB's in a 3-4. Of course that means overhauling the front 7 but Stroud and Williams would make great 3-4 DE's but that is asking a lot from a lot of players. Not to mention drafting signing a big fat NT or 2.

All this talk of Billick over on TBD is driving me crazy. He was a so called offensive genius in Minnesota yet his offenses SUCKED in Baltimore year after year. On top of that he always came across as a condescending .

True ... I think they could do a lot worse, though. I think he has been humbled a bit by his time away, also.

That said, it would worry me that it's all about the QB and he picked Boller as his guy and either was dead wrong OR failed to develop him. Either way, that's job #1 for whoever the coach is, find the right QB.

I am reserving judgement until we see who the coach is ...

We have no idea what Nix thought of Maybin ... in theory Dwayne Wright was drafted on someone's watch too, but it was Ralph Wilson who overruled his entire football department and ordered them to draft him two rounds after they drafted Marshawn Lynch. How many other picks were influenced by Wilson? As long as Wilson has input I have no faith in that organization, but maybe Nix can talk some sense into him more often than others have ... who knows ...

That's going to be very difficult for most Bills fans to do. Ralph Wilson hasn't given many Bills fans much to hope for over the past few seasons.

That's going to be very difficult for most Bills fans to do. Ralph Wilson hasn't given many Bills fans much to hope for over the past few seasons.

All I can say is if they pick another bargain bin coach, you might as well count them out again for another decade. This team needs as marquis of a name as they can find. I don't care how much it costs. They need to find a coach that players will do well under and who will make this team look good.

Hey I hear ya ... not saying I will be super excited no matter whom they hire, just saying I may be mildly hopeful as opposed to convinced they will never get out of last place in the division before moving out of town ... which is kind of where I am now.

Hey I hear ya ... not saying I will be super excited no matter whom they hire, just saying I may be mildly hopeful as opposed to convinced they will never get out of last place in the division before moving out of town ... which is kind of where I am now.

I'm glad the Shanahan and Cower talk is over. The last thing this team needs is a coach with a big name but no commitment to building a winning franchise. Shanahan would rather have Snyder purchase him a ring and Cower apparently would prefer a team located where he can golf all year round. It was that same lack of commitment that caused Jimmy Johnson to be a huge failure in Miami. He was more interested in his sailboat than football. Find a coach with a resume and the desire to win. With what Bills fans have had to endure it is the least they deserve.

At a time when there's an emerging sense that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher will remain on the sidelines for at least another year, multiple readers have brought to our attention a report from an obscure web site headquartered in the town of East Aurora, New York.

What a horrible piece of writing. Describing a coach as "staying on the sidelines" to mean he's not going to coach when it's a coaches job to be on the sideline.

Just stupid.

I'm glad the Shanahan and Cower talk is over. The last thing this team needs is a coach with a big name but no commitment to building a winning franchise. Shanahan would rather have Snyder purchase him a ring and Cower apparently would prefer a team located where he can golf all year round. It was that same lack of commitment that caused Jimmy Johnson to be a huge failure in Miami. He was more interested in his sailboat than football. Find a coach with a resume and the desire to win. With what Bills fans have had to endure it is the least they deserve.

But if one of these guys (not necessarily the two you mentioned) did sign with Buffalo, it would be a safe bet that signing that big contract didn't have much to do with the location, right? I can't see those big distractions you mentioned, other than the money itself, if they did sign a big money coach.

This was a good one:

casper67 says:

January 5, 2010 10:06 AM

I've lived in Buffalo and Pittsburgh, and I much prefer Buffalo. Few people know about it's outstanding architecture and history. Plus the bar scene/food are awesome. Pittsburgh has a more wholesome white trash feel...

Sabretooth73 where are you???

But if one of these guys (not necessarily the two you mentioned) did sign with Buffalo, it would be a safe bet that signing that big contract didn't have much to do with the location, right? I can't see those big distractions you mentioned, other than the money itself, if they did sign a big money coach.

It's not about distractions, it is about commitment. Jimmy Johnson was never committed to the Miami Dolphins the way he was in Dallas. It causes me to question that commitment when a coach would decide to work for Dan Snyder in Washington. Take Buffalo out of the equation. How can Mike Shanahan sign a contract with the 'Skins and have any self respect. Any "legacy" he built in Denver is about to be bastardized and destroyed. And if Bill Cower would rather sit out another year if he can't coach in a warm climate? That says all it needs to about his commitment to coach football.

There are quality guys out there that would love another chance or their first chance at a NFL job. I just hope the search goes a little further than Russ Brandon yelling out of his office "who wants to be head coach?" as it did with the GM search.

Archived