[OT] Tim Horton's vs. Dunkin Donuts

darksabre

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer overall?

• Tim Horton's
    • Dunkin Donuts
    • Other (specify)

The coffee at Dunkin' is better, but I think Timmy Ho's has a wider variety of stuff. However, there are no Dunkin's close to me and I don't go to Timmy Ho's anymore after I was insulted by one of their employees a couple of years ago.

I'm not a small person (a little thick through the middle, as it were) I was buying a 40 pack of TimBits one evening to save for breakfast the next day. As I was sitting at the drive-thru window, I hear one of the employees saying (through the closed window), "Yeah, like this guys needs TimBits." Well, I usually have a pretty thick skin about such things but it is not the job of Tim Horton's employees to determine who does and does not need their food products. I waited for my TimBits (I had already paid for them) and I said to the clerk, "By the way, I heard what you just said about me not needing TimBits. You don't have to worry; I won't ever be back to buy any more". And I haven't been. So, I guess it is true - I don't really need TimBits.

Are the donuts at THs in Canada different than the US?

just had the same conversation with a buddy of mine: we think so, absolutely. the canadian variety of a standard glazed, for example, seems to have a lot more glaze on it in canada than in the u.s.

I just don't see doughnuts (or donuts) as a viable source of anything.

nostalgia-infused, indulgent goodness.

my annual consumption is limited to ~10-15 peanut sticks from paula's and the odd half-dozen from h&k donuts in erie, penna. (also very, very good).)

Damn, is just doughnuts. Aren't there more important things to get angry about? For example, both franchises suck! TH and DD just plain suck when it comes to doughnuts, coffee, and basically anything else they put out the door. Anyone who has grown up in this area must surely know that there are WAY better doughnuts and other food to be had than the crap they serve.

Someone explain to me how the chain doughnut shop coffee/drink craze started? I have not had one coffee or novelty drink from either place that tasted good, let alone tasted like anything I'd wait 20 minutes in a drive-through line for. Starbucks and Spot coffee are the best commercial - but the REAL coffee is found at Premier. The rest is awful awful swill and I don't get it one bit.

I like Trader Joes Coffee home brewed strong enough to put hair on your chest.

You damn fools made me get a Tim Horton's donut today, in Jack's hometown no less. Blueberry. A little too cakey for my liking. I like to make my own. Heavy. Crispy.

Donuts. Pizza. Sex. Sabres hockey. The buildup is usually better than the sweet moment of release. But none of the above is ever bad!

Where I live, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Dunkin Donuts. But when I visit Buffalo, I always bring back a can of Timmy Ho's from Wegmans. What does that tell you?

The coffee at Dunkin' is better, but I think Timmy Ho's has a wider variety of stuff. However, there are no Dunkin's close to me and I don't go to Timmy Ho's anymore after I was insulted by one of their employees a couple of years ago.

I'm not a small person (a little thick through the middle, as it were) I was buying a 40 pack of TimBits one evening to save for breakfast the next day. As I was sitting at the drive-thru window, I hear one of the employees saying (through the closed window), "Yeah, like this guys needs TimBits." Well, I usually have a pretty thick skin about such things but it is not the job of Tim Horton's employees to determine who does and does not need their food products. I waited for my TimBits (I had already paid for them) and I said to the clerk, "By the way, I heard what you just said about me not needing TimBits. You don't have to worry; I won't ever be back to buy any more". And I haven't been. So, I guess it is true - I don't really need TimBits.

he.

I hear ya bro. I've borne the brunt of insults of people with paper hats too. I once went to a burger joint in Florida and ordered three chili dogs. The guy goes

"Is that all for you?" It's a bit more subtle of a put-down than yours was but I'm constantly amazed at how rude people have gotten.

Ok, you coffee aficionados, I really need your help this morning.

I'm sick of the crap coffee here at work, so I bought a cup from a hotel coffee shop. They "proudly brew Starbucks" but the shop is not, in fact, a Starbucks location. I was given three choices: Regular, Bold, Extra Bold. Since I like the taste of dark coffees, I went with the Extra Bold. But now it occurs to me that the description could refer to the amount of caffeine, rather than the roast. Unfortunately, this is actually a real issue for me, because I'm really, really sensitive to caffeine. Any ideas what they mean by "extra bold?"

I'm sick of the crap coffee here at work, so I bought a cup from a hotel coffee shop. They "proudly brew Starbucks" but the shop is not, in fact, a Starbucks location. I was given three choices: Regular, Bold, Extra Bold. Since I like the taste of dark coffees, I went with the Extra Bold. But now it occurs to me that the description could refer to the amount of caffeine, rather than the roast. Unfortunately, this is actually a real issue for me, because I'm really, really sensitive to caffeine. Any ideas what they mean by "extra bold?"

Generally, the bolder the coffee, the longer it has been roasted. Some beans/areas where they are grown make a difference too. It has nothing to do with the caffeine content.

I have never seen that terminology at a Starbucks. I avoid all of the crap novelty beans and roasts and simply get a "house - grande".

"Bold" is a Foldgers-type label, IMHO, and may or may not refer to the roast. You want to pay attention to the roast. If you want to brew a solid cup of coffee at work or home, you need grind your own beans. The beans need to be high quality Arabica beans, dark roasted. If you want that Starbucks/Spot flavor, you should get espresso beans. Wegman's branded big bag of espresso beans makes a great, high-quality tasting cup of coffee at a reasonable cost per cup.

Go for the Decaf Starbucks. ;)

Make your own, if you like extra bold I suggest you pick up a bag of Pete's and buy a grinder. Stuff will put hair on your chest. The other option is buy a pound of get this... "Fog Buster" through Pierce Brothers... and it does what it says.

http://www.piercebroscoffee.com/product_info.php?products_id=6&osCsid=4d929c61e7707e137b8f5a226de66b35

Nah, decaf really doesn't taste the same as the regular, and I really drink it for the taste. (Decaf with some sweetener does approach the real deal, but for that purpose, the office-provided swill should do.) But I think that spndnchz and sizzlemeister have my answer. The next time I crave real coffee, I'll walk boldly to the same hotel stand and order, boldly again, the extra bold.

I'll only drink half of it, though.

Technically, the darker the roast, the less caffeine it'll have. Whether that is true or not, I couldn't tell you, but an extra bold should be not only the darkest, but the lowest caffeine. It's why "breakfast blends" are usually lighter roasts; more of the good stuff. :w00t:

Nah, decaf really doesn't taste the same as the regular, and I really drink it for the taste. (Decaf with some sweetener does approach the real deal, but for that purpose, the office-provided swill should do.) But I think that spndnchz and sizzlemeister have my answer. The next time I crave real coffee, I'll walk boldly to the same hotel stand and order, boldly again, the extra bold.

I'll only drink half of it, though.

Adding sugar to decaf makes you think it tastes like regular? :blink:

Don't dis the decaf Starbucks til you try it. Now if we're talking decaf folgers or some such... :thumbdown:

Archived