[OT] Tim Horton's vs. Dunkin Donuts

darksabre

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer overall?

• Tim Horton's
    • Dunkin Donuts
    • Other (specify)

I ask this because recently Tim's has begun branching out to other areas of the country to compete with Dunkin. Another forum I frequent has been having a discussion about which is better, and I believe heavily that the WNY area is extremely partial to Tim Horton's. So I ask you, fellow WNYers, to let your opinion be heard. Which do you like more? I'm curious.

Also, out of staters who don't have the choice, please try not to vote and skew the results. I'm asking this question semi-seriously and I want to restrict this to current or long time residents who may have transplanted.

Thanks!

Between Timmy Ho's and Dunkin, it's no contest. (Go back to New England, etc., Dunkin'.)

But I voted for "other" because the best doughnuts in Buffalo are found at Paula's, near the junction of Englewood and Kenmore; Paula's is the true heir to the greatness that was Freddie's.

Overall is tough... If im in a donut mood then Dunkin'. There is a Ho's pretty damn close to me though so if i'm out in the morning i'll usually grab a breakfast sandwich of something on the way home. I can't honestly remember the last time I went to a Dunkin' Donuts though. As for who has better coffee... eh I don't know, i'd guess Dunkin' but Hortons is good too.

I think this is a hard question because they really are pretty different. It's like asking do you like Muscle Cars or Listening to Van Halen. Because I like both completely differently.

I will say DD's breakfast sandwiches/ everything other than the Donuts are pretty weak.

I think TH has more variety I guess...

Who knows, in reality when I wake up i'd take McDonald's breakfast over them all day. However proximity wise I have to go with TH. If there was a Tim Horton's and a Dunkin' Donuts standing right next to eachother, i'd probably choose TH more often than DD.

wow I made that way too complicated.

Not a coffee drinker, so that debate is moot for me. Growing up in Niagara Falls DD (and Tops Bakery, which at one time had some excellent donuts) was the only option. No Timmy Ho's here in Cleveland, so I gotta cast my vote for Dunkin.

Just recently got a timmy in town. I loved D&D but haven't been there since. They also put a coldstone in store which is perfect for a night ice cream and coffee.

I drool over the sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit :worthy:

Not a coffee drinker, so that debate is moot for me. Growing up in Niagara Falls DD (and Tops Bakery, which at one time had some excellent donuts) was the only option. No Timmy Ho's here in Cleveland, so I gotta cast my vote for Dunkin.

Just head a little south to Columbus. They have Tim Hortons there. Coffee is the same as other Tim Horton's but their doughnut selection is varied. BTW, every time I head into Columbus, I come back with some Tim Hortons. :thumbsup:

Neither one makes a coffee that tastes good black, but Dunkin's is slightly better. The donuts taste exactly the same. But Tim's kills with the soups and sandwiches, and I'll take their breakfast sandwiches over the grossness that Dunkin' is serving any day. Heavily in favor of Tim's, here. (But please, get some better coffee!)

Neither one makes a coffee that tastes good black, but Dunkin's is slightly better. The donuts taste exactly the same. But Tim's kills with the soups and sandwiches, and I'll take their breakfast sandwiches over the grossness that Dunkin' is serving any day. Heavily in favor of Tim's, here. (But please, get some better coffee!)

Just curious...what do you consider good coffee?

I go with black coffee as well and I love Horton's and despise Dunks.

Just head a little south to Columbus. They have Tim Hortons there. Coffee is the same as other Tim Horton's but their doughnut selection is varied. BTW, every time I head into Columbus, I come back with some Tim Hortons. :thumbsup:

Yeah I saw on the Tim Horton's website that there were locations in Columbus. Problem is we've been in the Cleveland area three years and have had to go to or through Columbus exactly twice, both within the first six - eight months of moving here. Haven't been back since, although the wife wants us to go to the Ohio State Fair, so we may be heading back that way soon.

I voted for Tim's. The problem with DD is that they repeatedly have inventory issues. I'd like a plain bagel...Sorry we don't have any. Next visit, I'd like an order of hash browns...We don't have any. Next visit, I'd like a diet pepsi...we're out.

To make it even worse, they take my order and then wait until I get up to the minute to proclaim that they don't have any of <fill in the blank>. This problem was also at several stores.

4 DD's in WNY just closed in the last month or so and I expect TH to eventually cause more of them to shutter their doors.

PS I think the best doughnuts in WNY are from Tops!

Just curious...what do you consider good coffee?

One of my favorites is the French Roast from Green Mountain Coffees. Locally, Spot Coffee has a decent dark roast once in a while and Blue Mountain on Elmwood does as well. Neither is significantly more expensive than Tim's.

I voted for Tim's. The problem with DD is that they repeatedly have inventory issues. I'd like a plain bagel...Sorry we don't have any. Next visit, I'd like an order of hash browns...We don't have any. Next visit, I'd like a diet pepsi...we're out.

To make it even worse, they take my order and then wait until I get up to the minute to proclaim that they don't have any of <fill in the blank>. This problem was also at several stores.

4 DD's in WNY just closed in the last month or so and I expect TH to eventually cause more of them to shutter their doors.

PS I think the best doughnuts in WNY are from Tops!

A few weeks back I read how the biggest DD franchisee in NYC was converting all of his stores to TH.

One of my favorites is the French Roast from Green Mountain Coffees. Locally, Spot Coffee has a decent dark roast once in a while and Blue Mountain on Elmwood does as well. Neither is significantly more expensive than Tim's.

Spot is good. We just don't have one down here in my van next to the river.

Believe it or not...a few years back Wendy's (yeah, the fast food joint) bought Tim Horton's. Now the home office is located in Columbus, Ohio. Several Timmy Ho's there. Also, there are several up around the Detroit, Michigan area.

As for my opinion? Horton's all the way, although McD's also make an excellent cup o' joe. DD's coffee always tastes spoiled to me.

Between Timmy Ho's and Dunkin, it's no contest. (Go back to New England, etc., Dunkin'.)

But I voted for "other" because the best doughnuts in Buffalo are found at Paula's, near the junction of Englewood and Kenmore; Paula's is the true heir to the greatness that was Freddie's.

I wondered if anyone would mention/remember Freddies... Defintely my first choice... :thumbsup:

Then there was the Walden quality bakery on the corner of Walden and Ridge park that used to make their own, That was right up there.. Home style made over mass produced anyday.....

The day of the local grocery store, bakery, butcher long gone era..... People don't know even know what they missed..

And they did it over the weekend - IIRC they closed on Friday as DD, opened on Monday as Tim Horton's:

On a Monday morning in July, something new greeted New York City commuters. In the space of one weekend, 12 Dunkin' Donuts stores and one Dunkin' cart had turned into new locations for the Canadian chain best known for its homemade doughnuts, Tim Hortons Inc.

http://retailtrafficmag.com/management/sit...-new-york-0722/

Archived