[OT] Tim Horton's vs. Dunkin Donuts

darksabre

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer overall?

• Tim Horton's
    • Dunkin Donuts
    • Other (specify)

And they did it over the weekend - IIRC they closed on Friday as DD, opened on Monday as Tim Horton's:

On a Monday morning in July, something new greeted New York City commuters. In the space of one weekend, 12 Dunkin' Donuts stores and one Dunkin' cart had turned into new locations for the Canadian chain best known for its homemade doughnuts, Tim Hortons Inc.

http://retailtrafficmag.com/management/sit...-new-york-0722/

I wish to God they would branch to Florida. Whenever I come back for a visit, I bring 2 of the big tins back with me.

Looking at the current number in the poll; I think it is safe to assume that the Sabres will sign a long term contract with DD to be the official donut store.

Sabres actually signed a contract to offer Timmy Ho's in the arena.

I wondered if anyone would mention/remember Freddies... Defintely my first choice... :thumbsup:

Then there was the Walden quality bakery on the corner of Walden and Ridge park that used to make their own, That was right up there.. Home style made over mass produced anyday.....

The day of the local grocery store, bakery, butcher long gone era..... People don't know even know what they missed..

Funny you say that. When I was a kid I used to sell the Courier Express and Freddies donuts outside church on Sundays.

Are the donuts at THs in Canada different than the US?

Based on experience, I'd vote DD best for donuts & THs for the rest. We've only been to THs in Ontario and found the donuts to be pretty poor but like the food and setting. Seems like donut quality wouldn't be an issue but trying 2-3 different places we found them bad enough that they didn't get eaten - even by our 2 & 3 year old who'll eat glazed donuts all day long if allowed. For the record, Krispy Creme donuts are pretty nasty too. DD is fine for mass produced - I think it's the local places that excel.

Believe it or not...a few years back Wendy's (yeah, the fast food joint) bought Tim Horton's. Now the home office is located in Columbus, Ohio. Several Timmy Ho's there. Also, there are several up around the Detroit, Michigan area.

As for my opinion? Horton's all the way, although McD's also make an excellent cup o' joe. DD's coffee always tastes spoiled to me.

P.S. A few years back the DC lobbying law firm partnered by Senior Bush bought out DD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_Group

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/artic...6/4equity.b.htm

I wondered if anyone would mention/remember Freddies... Defintely my first choice... :thumbsup:

Then there was the Walden quality bakery on the corner of Walden and Ridge park that used to make their own, That was right up there.. Home style made over mass produced anyday.....

The day of the local grocery store, bakery, butcher long gone era..... People don't know even know what they missed..

I can truly say that every doughnut I have eaten since last eating a Freddie's doughnut(probably at least 20 years ago), has been a disappointment.

I can truly say that every doughnut I have eaten since last eating a Freddie's doughnut(probably at least 20 years ago), has been a disappointment.

do yourself a favor next time you're in buffalo: try paula's at kenmore and englewood in the city (of buffalo) - the peanut sticks, specifically, totally measure up with freddie's.

P.S. A few years back the DC lobbying law firm partnered by Senior Bush bought out DD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_Group

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/artic...6/4equity.b.htm

Ohiofan: Wendy's sold off Tim Horton's long ago.

NB: I don't think either Bush is involved in the current ownership group, and I don't believe either Bush was involved at the time Carlyle Group--which is NOT a lobbying firm--purchased Dunkin'.

I'm no Bush fan (either Bush, but at least the first one had his head screwed on straight), but why would you characterize a private equity firm as a lobbying/law firm? Why would you state that GHW Bush was a "partner" (maybe, but probably not, the right title in that type of structure) in that organization at the time of the Dunkin' Brands acquisition, when the sources you cite state that he was not?

We've had a fair amount of political dissension--and dysentery--on here, and it's especially ok in an OT thread, but facts are facts, and the cites you provided don't have the facts you stated.

PS I think the best doughnuts in WNY are from Tops!

I worked at Tops for almost 10 years, through high school and college, and I can honestly say that Tops donuts are part of the reason I became the man I am today. (That, and growing up in WNY, you can add the wings, pizza, beef on weck, subs, Mighty Taco, Labatt's...you get the point.)

Thanks to all that good food I've become very close with some new friends - Mr. Treadmill, Mr. Elliptical and Mr. Stationary Bike.

do yourself a favor next time you're in buffalo: try paula's at kenmore and englewood in the city (of buffalo) - the peanut sticks, specifically, totally measure up with freddie's.
'Paula's Donuts' at Kenmore and Englewood. Anything else is a soulless imitation. Not made, frozen and boxed in another state like the brands named above.

good man. :thumbsup:

Ohiofan: Wendy's sold off Tim Horton's long ago.

NB: I don't think either Bush is involved in the current ownership group, and I don't believe either Bush was involved at the time Carlyle Group--which is NOT a lobbying firm--purchased Dunkin'.

I'm no Bush fan (either Bush, but at least the first one had his head screwed on straight), but why would you characterize a private equity firm as a lobbying/law firm? Why would you state that GHW Bush was a "partner" (maybe, but probably not, the right title in that type of structure) in that organization at the time of the Dunkin' Brands acquisition, when the sources you cite state that he was not?

We've had a fair amount of political dissension--and dysentery--on here, and it's especially ok in an OT thread, but facts are facts, and the cites you provided don't have the facts you stated.

Point well taken on keeping politics out of it. But they are a well known power broker and lobbying firm in DC (they are a registered lobbying group - go to the legislative resource center in the House) as well as I believe most of the other things you described. Dole worked for them, Bayh senior, and a number of other former Dems too..... Bush Senior was involved in ownership for a while, not sure if he still is.

The operative word is power broker. They work both sides of the aisle, and p.s. I liked Bush senior, more so in retrospect.

P.S. I was trying to find some articles quickly that could backup what I knew from my days on the Hill. Sorry for the lack of info. I would have to do some archival digging on Lexus which I no longer have access to or somewhere on Roll Call or The Hill, The National Journal or CQ for the proper cite. Actually glad I am out, but I think DD has gone down hill since the ownership change, not sure why.

I've bookmarked this post so I don't forget. :thumbsup:

Eileens Centerview Bakery - Center Road in West Seneca.

Famous Dughnuts are akin to the Freddies of days past.

I have yet to try Paula's.

I'll put it on my to-do list.

Tim Horton's and DD's both suck for anything baked.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should really expand their horizons and got to one of the above for a taste test.

The coffee is OK but overpriced at both.

Aside from Freddie's, Ken-Paul used to have a great bakery in the Airport Plaza.

Still around? besides the reigning champ Eileen's???

• Mazurek's Bakery on South Park in the Old First Ward. (rye bread)
  • Vin-Chet Pastry Shop on Kensington (danishes).
  • Pumpernick N Pastry Shoppe.

Try an alternative.

Abuse your body with something good - not franchised crap.

Take it from a diabetic...I really know my sh*t....and appreciate the damned stuff.

What a luxury!!!

Point well taken on keeping politics out of it. But they are a well known power broker and lobbying firm in DC (they are a registered lobbying group - go to the legislative resource center in the House) as well as I believe most of the other things you described. Dole worked for them, Bayh senior, and a number of other former Dems too..... Bush Senior was involved in ownership for a while, not sure if he still is.

The operative word is power broker. They work both sides of the aisle, and p.s. I liked Bush senior, more so in retrospect.

P.S. I was trying to find some articles quickly that could backup what I knew from my days on the Hill. Sorry for the lack of info. I would have to do some archival digging on Lexus which I no longer have access to or somewhere on Roll Call or The Hill, The National Journal or CQ for the proper cite. Actually glad I am out, but I think DD has gone down hill since the ownership change, not sure why.

Damn, is just doughnuts. Aren't there more important things to get angry about? For example, both franchises suck! TH and DD just plain suck when it comes to doughnuts, coffee, and basically anything else they put out the door. Anyone who has grown up in this area must surely know that there are WAY better doughnuts and other food to be had than the crap they serve.

Someone explain to me how the chain doughnut shop coffee/drink craze started? I have not had one coffee or novelty drink from either place that tasted good, let alone tasted like anything I'd wait 20 minutes in a drive-through line for. Starbucks and Spot coffee are the best commercial - but the REAL coffee is found at Premier. The rest is awful awful swill and I don't get it one bit.

Damn, is just doughnuts. Aren't there more important things to get angry about?

Quite honestly, the first thing I think of when it comes to either place is coffee. Maybe it's this country's very slight movement toward heathy food, which seems to be a small percentage of the population, but I just don't see doughnuts (or donuts) as a viable source of anything.

Archived