LQ says "Success Comes From Within"

BamBam

Everything is fine and I'm not sure why you would suggest I'm being bombastic... Because someone was being a jackass to me and I called them a jackass for it? :lol: Whatever. I'm certainly not going to take anyone seriously who tries to equate all 1st round draft choices with Marek Zagrapan and then implies I'm an idiot for not thinking the same way. :rolleyes:

It is no secret that I'm not a fan of overly negative people who bring nothing to the discussion but blanket insults of the team and management. "Video scouting" is one of those topics that attracts these people who don't really care about reality, but love to see their insults on their screen.

Really, how many opportunities does anyone get to use that word in a sentence.. :lol:.

Anyway you have always been a generous host with this site and I appreciate it, I just thought I sensed a tone in your posts contrary to your "Chillax it's just a game" theme.... But what do i know, I've never been one able to keep to my opinions to myself... ;)

Really, how many opportunities does anyone get to use that word in a sentence.. :lol: .

Anyway you have always been a generous host with this site and I appreciate it, I just thought I sensed a tone in your posts contrary to your "Chillax it's just a game" theme.... But what do i know, I've never been one able to keep to my opinions to myself... ;)

It's a fine word. I'm surprised the youth of today aren't utilizing to greater effect. "Did you see that foxy lady? She was BOMB-bastic!"

Every comment ever made against video scouting makes it sound as if it is 100% video and no one out there on the road. Now I know you realize that's not true, but others around here (one name comes to mind) absolutely believe that. Now, we have no idea exactly how they use it, but the right combination of video and physical scouting seems like it would be very beneficial. Other teams use video too, so there is obviously a positive to it if used in the right way.

The Sabres have used video for years. What exactly was the change? Fewer scouts and more of a reliance on video?

I am no supporter of the decision to extend Connolly, but for correctness, I have edited your post. In the four seasons prior to the lockout, he played 325 or 328 possible games over four seasons, never playing less than 80 games in any one of them.

duly noted.

Every comment ever made against video scouting makes it sound as if it is 100% video and no one out there on the road. Now I know you realize that's not true, but others around here (one name comes to mind) absolutely believe that. Now, we have no idea exactly how they use it, but the right combination of video and physical scouting seems like it would be very beneficial. Other teams use video too, so there is obviously a positive to it if used in the right way.

see, this is what I do not understand about you, Schrader.

You don't come out and say it, but you dance around the topic, playing devils advocate. You have the same position with Quinn, and also with video scouting.

What is your position, exactly?

The whole sarcastic 'one name comes to mind'-thing also stinks.

I know that I am new here, but you drop a bomb, and then run away. All I am saying is that with your post, one could get the impression that you are in favor of video scouting.

Do either of us know how the Sabres use it? No.

But we do know that they dropped senior scouts IN FAVOR of it.

This is not meant to be sarcastic, but have you ever been to a hockey game? How about watch one on TV?

I'm sure that you have.

Now, I have no idea what system the Sab's use, but if a game is being watched, what does the camera follow? When you watch a game, what are you paying attention to?

Movement of the puck.

And if video scouting was so successful, then why is not its kind used in other leagues? The annual NFL combine is all in person.

I am sincerely asking you, why do think that is?

Not to speak for Shrader, but I think he is on the fence about it, mainly because we haven't seen the effects of it yet. Video scouting keeps falling under criticism by people who don't realize that it hasn't even made an impact on the team yet, as our current players were scouted before the Sabres cut back their scouting staff. I think what he's trying to get across is that it is a tired, incorrect, argument that needs to be put to rest. It's been beaten to death on this board. If the Sabres recruits of the past few years turn out to be flops, then we might be able to make a valid argument against video scouting, but for the time being, it's irrelevant.

While I agree with the sentiment I believe that's our translation. IMHO it's really just his business model (as usual) we are seeing. They appear to pinch every penny out of all aspects of the organization. It clearly is a top down business model that translates itself into not trading players, assuming portions of salaries, etc. unless you can clearly make out in the deal. It also clearly means we will always use the draft to restock the pond because of the economics of lower costs associated with up and coming vs. expensive veteran commodities...

Agreed that's what bugs me about this business model because it doesn't appear to allow for the makeover that we need. IMO we should not be tacking the get rid of dead weight course but the makeover philosphy in approaching other teams to sell the trade of some of the contracts and players that would allow us to get tougher now. I agree with allot of other posters about the need for more toughness and grit on both the forward and defense fronts because that will open time and space for our more skilled albeit softer players...... I do not want to wait 3-4 years to see that happen either.

yeah, that what is really tough...we just went through a rebuilding phase with the team and only got about 2 truly successful years out of it. pre-lockout, these guys were so-so.

One thing that bugs me about the NHL post-lockout...after all of the changes to the rules to make the game more exciting by freeing up the offense, why did the NHL allow itself to be pressured by a few coaches and GM's to turning the game back to the clutch and grab type of game?

Now, I'm more of a purist and like the 2-1 well played game over the All-Star 9-8 fiasco's any day. I like the hard hits, and clutch saves. I think the fights are a rightful part of the game, and add flavor. I gagged at the thought of shoot-out overtimes during the regular season and thought that they would be the death of the game. Quinn's idea to expand the goal still irks me.

But with time I saw that it was exciting. The Sabres, pre-lockout were really built for the wide open attacking style that became popular for that year or two after the lockout.

I think that the bending of the rules to reverse itself and favor the old game has really hit the philosophy and talent that the Sabres have amassed these past few years.

The Sabres management group are a shrewd bunch; sometimes to their detriment. But I believe that the move by the league to go back on its own rule changes in favor of a somewhat slower game has really handcuffed the Sabres.

I think evidence can be seen in the size and type of player the Sabres drafted for this year.

Not to speak for Shrader, but I think he is on the fence about it, mainly because we haven't seen the effects of it yet. Video scouting keeps falling under criticism by people who don't realize that it hasn't even made an impact on the team yet, as our current players were scouted before the Sabres cut back their scouting staff. I think what he's trying to get across is that it is a tired, incorrect, argument that needs to be put to rest. It's been beaten to death on this board. If the Sabres recruits of the past few years turn out to be flops, then we might be able to make a valid argument against video scouting, but for the time being, it's irrelevant.

And you will find that I agree with all of that.

Again, being new here, if it has been covered too much, I am cool with that and will let it go.

My expression is only one of concern. I worry that I want the Sabres to win now (we had been so close), that I don't have the patience for another rebuild. I worry that what if the comments by former Sabres of it being a laugh are true.

I'm coming from the place that I'm frustrated to have been so close, do the Sabres really have the room to gamble on something like this?

And I especially get concerned when it sounds like the primary basis for it is financial...

And you will find that I agree with all of that.

Again, being new here, if it has been covered too much, I am cool with that and will let it go.

My expression is only one of concern. I worry that I want the Sabres to win now (we had been so close), that I don't have the patience for another rebuild. I worry that what if the comments by former Sabres of it being a laugh are true.

I'm coming from the place that I'm frustrated to have been so close, do the Sabres really have the room to gamble on something like this?

And I especially get concerned when it sounds like the primary basis for it is financial...

I believe the motivation for it is not only financial but that they honestly believe that expanding video scouting is not going to be harmful. All teams use video scouting, just not to the extent we do. Of course we still have regular scouts, but if more video gets the job done then why not? The trick is that we have to wait and see if it does really work; we can't evaluate it yet. I'm giving the front office the benefit of the doubt on this one until we can better evaluate it.

As far as former staff criticizing the Sabres operation, for all we know they're right. But we can't be certain. This is why shrader often plays the Devil's advocate, because there are two sides to a lot of these arguments and we have no way to really prove which is correct, but for the sake of discussion it is healthy to provide a contrasting perspective.

We all want the Sabres to win, and we want it now. Naturally we don't want to sit through another rebuilding phase. Unfortunately I think we have no choice. This team likes to build from within, just like many other teams. I don't find that methodology to be flawed. But we have to accept the fact that we might not get the team we really want for another year or two as we start unloading some poor contract decisions and bringing in our younger guys from the expanded Video Scouting era. At that point we will know if what Darcy and Larry are doing has been the right decision.

For the time being, we're stuck with a lot of questions with pending answers. Some contract players that might have been mistakes, a front office not willing (at least not at the moment) to make a big splash in FA or trades, and an unproven expanded video scouting system. It sucks, but what choice do we have but to be patient?

yeah, that what is really tough...we just went through a rebuilding phase with the team and only got about 2 truly successful years out of it. pre-lockout, these guys were so-so.

One thing that bugs me about the NHL post-lockout...after all of the changes to the rules to make the game more exciting by freeing up the offense, why did the NHL allow itself to be pressured by a few coaches and GM's to turning the game back to the clutch and grab type of game?

Now, I'm more of a purist and like the 2-1 well played game over the All-Star 9-8 fiasco's any day. I like the hard hits, and clutch saves. I think the fights are a rightful part of the game, and add flavor. I gagged at the thought of shoot-out overtimes during the regular season and thought that they would be the death of the game. Quinn's idea to expand the goal still irks me.

But with time I saw that it was exciting. The Sabres, pre-lockout were really built for the wide open attacking style that became popular for that year or two after the lockout.

I think that the bending of the rules to reverse itself and favor the old game has really hit the philosophy and talent that the Sabres have amassed these past few years.

The Sabres management group are a shrewd bunch; sometimes to their detriment. But I believe that the move by the league to go back on its own rule changes in favor of a somewhat slower game has really handcuffed the Sabres.

I think evidence can be seen in the size and type of player the Sabres drafted for this year.

Welcome red, as long as that red is not Detroit, Calgary or Canes... :unsure: We're a sorely bunch here but there are allot of good opinions, angles and thoughts shared as long as you do not get too caught up in the creative tension/ disagreement.

Yeah the bolded quote from your post above is the million dollar question to me. The best conspiracy theory I have heard went along the lines that with 30 teams in the league there is not enough Crosby, Malkin, OV, Zetterberg talent to keep the teams on an even playing field so they allow it to keep allot of second and third tier talent relevant and overall league competitive.

:rolleyes: I dunno though still seems that rules were made to be enforced and the tenor and overall style of games defintely gets effected by the way they do or do not call them...Actually I think Deluca hit it in his post in another thread when he said Sabres needed balance between skilled finesse game and the tough/grit game. Thats where your 2nd/3rd tier players contribute and that's what we saw made a difference in this years SC final not the just the big names...

This is not meant to be sarcastic, but have you ever been to a hockey game? How about watch one on TV?

I'm sure that you have.

Now, I have no idea what system the Sab's use, but if a game is being watched, what does the camera follow? When you watch a game, what are you paying attention to?

Movement of the puck.

And if video scouting was so successful, then why is not its kind used in other leagues? The annual NFL combine is all in person.

We're working under the false assumption that the video they use is exactly what you'll see on television. That's not the case. Depending on the organization/league/team, you're going to see a wide variety of shot types. Yes, there's going to be the shot we're used to that follows the play, but there will also be player specific and zone specific videos. I've seen them at the college level, so it's not crazy to think that other teams/leagues would have the same.

I think a decent argument can be made that video might actually give a better idea of a player if that right shot is provided. Scouts are not going to be able to see every single game. What happens if the scout just happens to be there for a bad game for a player the team is following? With video, you've got every game. Pair that up with the in person scouting and there's a much clearer picture painted. Yes, you can't see everything on video, but you also can't see everything in person. Pair the two up and I'd say you're onto something.

Now I'd really love to see some points as to why video scouting is the devil that some make it out to be. The only thing that ever comes up is what you mentioned about not being able to see everything on video. With a staff of scouts out in the field, how is this an issue for Buffalo?

I worry that what if the comments by former Sabres of it being a laugh are true.

This is another one that is brought up all the time and it seems like a case of exaggeration. One comment about one aspect of the organization turns into a totally different comment about a different aspect of the organization. Can you provide some of these comments? Last time all we came up with was Rene Robert.

And one last thing. You'll probably read some attitude in this one and that's fine. My name's sitting right there on the screen in front of you, so how about getting the spelling right.

he's made his opinion clear in past posts. And don't take the word ignorant too negatively. It just means lacking knowledge. We're all ignorant about all sorts of things.

If someone starts spouting off about video scouting and say, Max, well - they're speaking from a lack of knowledge.

No. They are speaking from a different opinion, SDS. As long as everyone else is keeping cool heels, well, you may consider doing that, too. Dudly's post isn't far off. I wondered myself a couple of days ago (when you took on wonderbread, was it, or maybe I have it wrong?) whether something was up. Hope all's ok; you're usually more mellow than this.

what the hell are you talking about?

I know there are those who revel in demonizing Sabres management, but the fact is that the Sabres haven't failed to make the playoffs the last two seasons because Golisano, Quinn, or Regier are looking to 'stick it' to the fans.

And despite all the Quinn-bashing in this thread, he's right about following a build-from-within plan, where the core of the team comes from the draft, with prudent free-agent signings and trades filling in the gaps on the team.

Would it be better to follow the plan that Detroit, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh has followed, or should the Sabres follow the Lightning's plan from last offseason? The way that a few posters are pitching a hissy-fit lately, it seems that they would be happier with the Lightning's plan.

The problem isn't with the plan, it's been with the mistakes that the Sabres have made executing the plan. They gambled that the young players on the team would develop into on-ice leaders. They ignored the need for grit in the lineup. They failed to recognize and address players whose skills began to diminish. None of these issues have anything to do with money or arrogance.

This year's draft seems to indicate that the front office has finally realized some of these mistakes. Hopefully they continue to address the gaps during FA, while also making a key trade or two. But that remains to be seen.

I know there are those who revel in demonizing Sabres management, but the fact is that the Sabres haven't failed to make the playoffs the last two seasons because Golisano, Quinn, or Regier are looking to 'stick it' to the fans.

And despite all the Quinn-bashing in this thread, he's right about following a build-from-within plan, where the core of the team comes from the draft, with prudent free-agent signings and trades filling in the gaps on the team.

Would it be better to follow the plan that Detroit, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh has followed, or should the Sabres follow the Lightning's plan from last offseason? The way that a few posters are pitching a hissy-fit lately, it seems that they would be happier with the Lightning's plan.

The problem isn't with the plan, it's been with the mistakes that the Sabres have made executing the plan. They gambled that the young players on the team would develop into on-ice leaders. They ignored the need for grit in the lineup. They failed to recognize and address players whose skills began to diminish. None of these issues have anything to do with money or arrogance.

This year's draft seems to indicate that the front office has finally realized some of these mistakes. Hopefully they continue to address the gaps during FA, while also making a key trade or two. But that remains to be seen.

No response needed. I just feel like making this post appear a 2nd time.

my thoughts exactly.

And if Quinn is so certain that injuries were the big boogeyman to the Sabres playoff chances last year, why did they draft for size this year and when has Connolly put together an entire season (playoffs included) healthy?

Don't get me wrong- I think that Connolly has top 10 skills. But he has yet to string together a healthy season, let alone a string of them. He's too shaky to depend on.

The Sabres desperately need turnover. Unfortunately, I think Quinn must be the first to depart.

I don't think anyone's questioning those aspects whatsoever.

I think the one guy we need to take Quinn's job is Rene Robert.

EDIT: And if I should ever get lucky enough to come through BFLO when this show airs and I catch LQ being on there, I'm going to call in and ask him point blank, "Larry, when will pro hockey come back to Buffalo?"

No. They are speaking from a different opinion, SDS. As long as everyone else is keeping cool heels, well, you may consider doing that, too. Dudly's post isn't far off. I wondered myself a couple of days ago (when you took on wonderbread, was it, or maybe I have it wrong?) whether something was up. Hope all's ok; you're usually more mellow than this.

Sometimes I wonder if I live in a parallel universe.

Look I already know you are the ultimate hockey guru around here scott but there is no need to come across like an a#$^$#!e because we differ in opinion.

This is what I responded to after trying to seriously discuss the Pronger trade. So, I'm the one out of line here? Really? :rolleyes:

It's funny that you are mentioning "the plan" that teams like Detroit, New Jersey and Pittsburgh use. I see those teams as franchises that use all available outlets to make their teams better. That includes drafting well, trading to fill needs and taking advantage of the free agent market. What is the "Sabre Plan"? The thing I hear most from the Sabres are cliches and rhetoric. I don't hear a "plan". Every team talks about building through the draft or from "within." The problem with that is you need to draft well. The Sabres haven't drafted well. The old saying is a fish rots from the head down. You have TG who knows nothing about hockey and seemingly couldn't care less about the team. You have Larry Quinn who knows slightly more about the game then the owner and a GM who is so deliberate in the way he goes about his job that it is a detriment to the franchise. Even if the Sabres did have a solid plan in place they don't have the people needed to execute the plan.

LQ Story on WGR

Here are a few takes from the WGR interview. See link above for full story.

Buffalo, NY -- Buffalo Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn joined WGR's Brian Koziol and Nick Mendola at the Sabres' Draft Party at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery on Friday, and told them to basically expect business as usual during this upcoming offseason; in other words, no major free agent splash will be coming on July 1st.

"Most of the success of the Sabres comes from the development from within. Where you're going to see the improvement is from further development of people that need to get better." He specifically mentioned Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek as players who still haven't reached their full potential.

"The teams that have those big contracts that went beyond the collective bargaining agreement last time . . . got burned," Quinn said. "I'd love to get on the radio here and say that we're going to make some blockbuster trade, and I don't see that as our avenue for success."

"I would suspect that a lot of people won't be happy with me saying what I just said, but I think that they're going to be real happy if it's successful," Quinn noted. "It doesn't mean we won't add. I believe we will."

-------------------------------------

I'll give him credit for being upfront and truthfull "now". He could of said this during his BS statement that he released following the season. However, its clear that there is no sign that this team is going to improve. We have heard this song and dance before with them saying.." Success comes from within". So basically the guys who couldn't get it done the last several years are the same guys that are supposed to get it done next year. :doh:

Why not just come to my house and kick my dog instead of dropping this garbage on Sabre fans.

You really thought they were going to change??? AS long as the lemmings(season ticketholders) keep eating the crap out of his mouth there will be no change....The only way they win is if they get lucky like they did 4 yrs ago with some nice deals..Unfortunatly now they dont even try those...Hell I wouldnt change a thing either...

You really thought they were going to change??? AS long as the lemmings(season ticketholders) keep eating the crap out of his mouth there will be no change....The only way they win is if they get lucky like they did 4 yrs ago with some nice deals..Unfortunatly now they dont even try those...Hell I wouldnt change a thing either...

Yeah, that's what we need, an arena full of fair weather fans. Why do you always blame the fans for the Sabres' woes? They're not making the draft picks. I'd rather take Mbossy's approach and have 100% sales, then have the entire HSBC ringing with the lovely tones of "Dar-ceeee, Darceee".

As for LQ, I love when he says success comes from within...except when it doesn't. Didn't we trade for Drury, didn't we trade for Briere, didn't we trade for Hasek? And when someone from within does show success, for their effort, they don't get paid and get forced to leave town(Cambell). AND, the one that Darcy did pay came from the Islanders.

For me, this is Darcy and Lindy's last shot. LQ's got to grow a set and make changes.

Jad -- while I completely disagree with you about Hamilton getting a team, this is very well stated.

It's funny that you are mentioning "the plan" that teams like Detroit, New Jersey and Pittsburgh use. I see those teams as franchises that use all available outlets to make their teams better. That includes drafting well, trading to fill needs and taking advantage of the free agent market. What is the "Sabre Plan"? The thing I hear most from the Sabres are cliches and rhetoric. I don't hear a "plan". Every team talks about building through the draft or from "within." The problem with that is you need to draft well. The Sabres haven't drafted well. The old saying is a fish rots from the head down. You have TG who knows nothing about hockey and seemingly couldn't care less about the team. You have Larry Quinn who knows slightly more about the game then the owner and a GM who is so deliberate in the way he goes about his job that it is a detriment to the franchise. Even if the Sabres did have a solid plan in place they don't have the people needed to execute the plan.

Maybe, maybe not. IMHO, when Darcy's been given the chance to build a team, he's done a very good job, and then seen his teams dismantled by crooks and dithering/interference from above. It looks like he's been given that chance again. I think he can get it done. I also think Lindy can do so as well if given a few more pieces.

It's funny that you are mentioning "the plan" that teams like Detroit, New Jersey and Pittsburgh use. I see those teams as franchises that use all available outlets to make their teams better.

Sure, but the core of these teams are built from the draft. They'll add a Kunitz, or a Guerin, or a Hossa, but when it comes down to it, if you take away the players that they drafted and developed, they'd be in trouble.

Those teams aren't builiding like Tampa or even Philadelphia and New York, throwing money at FAs and making short-sighted trades.

That includes drafting well, trading to fill needs and taking advantage of the free agent market. What is the "Sabre Plan"? The thing I hear most from the Sabres are cliches and rhetoric. I don't hear a "plan". Every team talks about building through the draft or from "within." The problem with that is you need to draft well. The Sabres haven't drafted well.

I wouldn't say they haven't drafted well, their hits and misses are probably on-par with the rest of the league. The problem is that they haven't addressed the gaps in the lineup well enough through other outlets like the draft and FA.

The mistake they've made is that they gambled too much on the current roster being able to fill those gaps. It's burned them and they need to change this approach.

The old saying is a fish rots from the head down. You have TG who knows nothing about hockey and seemingly couldn't care less about the team. You have Larry Quinn who knows slightly more about the game then the owner and a GM who is so deliberate in the way he goes about his job that it is a detriment to the franchise. Even if the Sabres did have a solid plan in place they don't have the people needed to execute the plan.

If this was the 2005 offseason, I'd completely agree with you. But then the guys who you claim know nothing about hockey made some minor moves and the Sabres set the franchise record for wins, and was a distasterous string of injuries away from winning the Cup.

That's not to say the current team doesn't need to make some moves. Regier needs to make another Drury trade to bring in leadership. The team needs to cut dead weight like they did with Satan and Zhitnik. Ruff needs to adjust his coaching according to the shifts being made in the way the game is called like he did coming out of the lockout.

So I have a hard time believing that the current management team knows as little as many claim about building a winning team. No doubt they need to adjust their approach, but they've done it before.

Sometimes I wonder if I live in a parallel universe.

This is what I responded to after trying to seriously discuss the Pronger trade. So, I'm the one out of line here? Really? :rolleyes:

yep. I'm over it honestly. Nothing to see here. keep moving. :thumbsup:

As for LQ, I love when he says success comes from within...except when it doesn't. Didn't we trade for Drury, didn't we trade for Briere, didn't we trade for Hasek?

Great point.

We can slice this up any way we want, but the irrefutable fact is that you have do all of the above well. Draft. Develop. Free agency. Trades, offseason, in season and at the deadline. You have to take every opportunity to build your team.

In the six years of the Golisano Era, the Sabres have made two significant free agent signings: Numminen and Spacek. They've acquired five significant players in trades: Briere, Drury, Grier, Lydman and Rivet. Only two of those significant moves have come in the three years since the Sabres appeared to be on the verge of a Cup.

Mighty thin gruel for those who say there's any plan whatsoever in place and being executed to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo.

Great point.

meh... I didn't think so.

When were all those guys traded for? Before or after the salary cap? I don't think it is as simple as people make it out to be anymore. There are serious repercussions to any any trading team today that didn't exist back then.

Archived