LQ says "Success Comes From Within"

BamBam

LQ Story on WGR

Here are a few takes from the WGR interview. See link above for full story.

Buffalo, NY -- Buffalo Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn joined WGR's Brian Koziol and Nick Mendola at the Sabres' Draft Party at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery on Friday, and told them to basically expect business as usual during this upcoming offseason; in other words, no major free agent splash will be coming on July 1st.

"Most of the success of the Sabres comes from the development from within. Where you're going to see the improvement is from further development of people that need to get better." He specifically mentioned Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek as players who still haven't reached their full potential.

"The teams that have those big contracts that went beyond the collective bargaining agreement last time . . . got burned," Quinn said. "I'd love to get on the radio here and say that we're going to make some blockbuster trade, and I don't see that as our avenue for success."

"I would suspect that a lot of people won't be happy with me saying what I just said, but I think that they're going to be real happy if it's successful," Quinn noted. "It doesn't mean we won't add. I believe we will."

-------------------------------------

I'll give him credit for being upfront and truthfull "now". He could of said this during his BS statement that he released following the season. However, its clear that there is no sign that this team is going to improve. We have heard this song and dance before with them saying.." Success comes from within". So basically the guys who couldn't get it done the last several years are the same guys that are supposed to get it done next year. :doh:

Why not just come to my house and kick my dog instead of dropping this garbage on Sabre fans.

LQ Story on WGR

Here are a few takes from the WGR interview. See link above for full story.

Buffalo, NY -- Buffalo Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn joined WGR's Brian Koziol and Nick Mendola at the Sabres' Draft Party at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery on Friday, and told them to basically expect business as usual during this upcoming offseason; in other words, no major free agent splash will be coming on July 1st.

"Most of the success of the Sabres comes from the development from within. Where you're going to see the improvement is from further development of people that need to get better." He specifically mentioned Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek as players who still haven't reached their full potential.

"The teams that have those big contracts that went beyond the collective bargaining agreement last time . . . got burned," Quinn said. "I'd love to get on the radio here and say that we're going to make some blockbuster trade, and I don't see that as our avenue for success."

"I would suspect that a lot of people won't be happy with me saying what I just said, but I think that they're going to be real happy if it's successful," Quinn noted. "It doesn't mean we won't add. I believe we will."

-------------------------------------

I'll give him credit for being upfront and truthfull "now". He could of said this during his BS statement that he released following the season. However, its clear that there is no sign that this team is going to improve. We have heard this song and dance before with them saying.." Success comes from within". So basically the guys who couldn't get it done the last several years are the same guys that are supposed to get it done next year. :doh:

Why not just come to my house and kick my dog instead of dropping this garbage on Sabre fans.

Guys like LQ enjoy lording their power over the peons like us. With season ticket renewals what they are, he has absolutely no reason to hold back on brutally honest statements/kicks to the Labrador.

No blockbuster trade? Why not? Are they taking that move out of the playbook too? What if such a trade did not add to the budget? Vanek for...whoever. I don't understand these guys. What is left in their organEYEzational playbook anyway?

Guys like LQ enjoy lording their power over the peons like us. With season ticket renewals what they are, he has absolutely no reason to hold back on brutally honest statements/kicks to the Labrador.

No blockbuster trade? Why not? Are they taking that move out of the playbook too? What if such a trade did not add to the budget? Vanek for...whoever. I don't understand these guys. What is left in their organEYEzational playbook anyway?

Are you really dumb enough to believe this? :w00t:

My bottom line is this: if success comes from within - and I don't argue there, honestly - invest more in the scouting department. If we're going to give up the $5M player addition, make it up with at least $1M in new scouts. If they're what, $50k each, that's 20 guys.

My bottom line is this: if success comes from within - and I don't argue there, honestly - invest more in the scouting department. If we're going to give up the $5M player addition, make it up with at least $1M in new scouts. If they're what, $50k each, that's 20 guys.

Can't argue there.

Success comes from within. Yea, so does vomit, piss and sh!t.

Not saying it can't happen. Just don't think planning for the future is the best way to support your team by saying "we have great players, you won't see them for 5 or 6 years but we have them"

A trade will happen if you ask me, but whether it's something good or not is the question.

Amen. No more video scouting. Anyone who ever has been to a hockey game knows that you can't follow a player through a whole game on TV the same way you can at the rink.

Amen. No more video scouting. Anyone who ever has been to a hockey game knows that you can't follow a player through a whole game on TV the same way you can at the rink.

So what about the Sabres scouts that are in fact physically at hockey games?

Why do Quinn and Regier speak in public at all? Every time they do it just frustrates and angers fans.

"Success Comes From Within", WTF, did he buy a self help book? Is Larry Quinn trying to 'Stop The Insanity?'

What Larry is really saying is "we as a organization are going to be lazy and do nothing while we hope to catch lighting in a bottle again." That's the translation. I hope some day changes will be made to this front office and people are brought in who now the true meaning of success and know how to turn this into a successful franchise. People who know you don't sit back and wait for opportunities for success they create their own opportunities and take advantage of them.

My Uncle worked for the City of Buffalo for many years....He has a ton of Larry Quinn stories as he dealt with him directly many, many times. Let me just say, Larry Quinn is a class A douche bag who is on a 24 X 7 power trip.

Thank you.

But why does he have to be a class A douche bag with MY FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM!!??!!??

Why do Quinn and Regier speak in public at all? Every time they do it just frustrates and angers fans.

"Success Comes From Within", WTF, did he buy a self help book? Is Larry Quinn trying to 'Stop The Insanity?'

What Larry is really saying is "we as a organization are going to be lazy and do nothing while we hope to catch lighting in a bottle again." That's the translation. I hope some day changes will be made to this front office and people are brought in who now the true meaning of success and know how to turn this into a successful franchise. People who know you don't sit back and wait for opportunities for success they create their own opportunities and take advantage of them.

my thoughts exactly.

And if Quinn is so certain that injuries were the big boogeyman to the Sabres playoff chances last year, why did they draft for size this year and when has Connolly put together an entire season (playoffs included) healthy?

Don't get me wrong- I think that Connolly has top 10 skills. But he has yet to string together a healthy season, let alone a string of them. He's too shaky to depend on.

The Sabres desperately need turnover. Unfortunately, I think Quinn must be the first to depart.

shrader, this is one topic where I sincerely believe that you are wrong, but we will have to agree to disagree.

Let's take your argument to the extreme, why have any scouts then? Why doesn't Darcy just sit back, roll the tape, grab some popcorn, and relax?

They sure would save some pennies.

shrader, this is one topic where I sincerely believe that you are wrong, but we will have to agree to disagree.

Let's take your argument to the extreme, why have any scouts then? Why doesn't Darcy just sit back, roll the tape, grab some popcorn, and relax?

They sure would save some pennies.

I'm fairly certain you misinterpreted what he is saying.

sharder's biggest complaint on this issue is that when people make blanket, ignorant statements about video scouting that aren't true. That doesn't mean he advocates it, it just means he wants to deal in facts and not juvenile arguments over bogeymen.

Don't get me wrong- I think that Connolly has top 10 skills. But he has yet to string together a healthy season since the lockout, let alone a string of them. He's too shaky to depend on.

I am no supporter of the decision to extend Connolly, but for correctness, I have edited your post. In the four seasons prior to the lockout, he played 325 or 328 possible games over four seasons, never playing less than 80 games in any one of them.

I think some of them are probably doing a good job (everything I read about Khmylev is positive), and some of them probably are not, and if the Sabres can hire 20 scouts (as silvermike suggested) who will do a good job and reduce the reliance the video, it would help.

SDS, I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted shrader, too. I don't think he had nearly that level of invective in his post.

SDS, I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted shrader, too. I don't think he had nearly that level of invective in his post.

he's made his opinion clear in past posts. And don't take the word ignorant too negatively. It just means lacking knowledge. We're all ignorant about all sorts of things.

If someone starts spouting off about video scouting and say, Max, well - they're speaking from a lack of knowledge.

I'm fairly certain you misinterpreted what he is saying.

sharder's biggest complaint on this issue is that when people make blanket, ignorant statements about video scouting that aren't true. That doesn't mean he advocates it, it just means he wants to deal in facts and not juvenile arguments over bogeymen.

Hey it's none of my business but I have been reading and posting here for years. You have always been a moderate and pretty tolerant of us lesser knowlegeable fans. Hell thats why I read here because I do not have the time, a hobby or a job that allows me the width and depth of facts and opinions expressed here.

The last couple of days your responses appear to have a bombastic tone. I hope all is well on the SDS homefront.

While I agree with the sentiment I believe that's our translation. IMHO it's really just his business model (as usual) we are seeing. They appear to pinch every penny out of all aspects of the organization. It clearly is a top down business model that translates itself into not trading players, assuming portions of salaries, etc. unless you can clearly make out in the deal. It also clearly means we will always use the draft to restock the pond because of the economics of lower costs associated with up and coming vs. expensive veteran commodities...

my thoughts exactly.

And if Quinn is so certain that injuries were the big boogeyman to the Sabres playoff chances last year, why did they draft for size this year and when has Connolly put together an entire season (playoffs included) healthy?

Don't get me wrong- I think that Connolly has top 10 skills. But he has yet to string together a healthy season, let alone a string of them. He's too shaky to depend on.

The Sabres desperately need turnover. Unfortunately, I think Quinn must be the first to depart.

Agreed that's what bugs me about this business model because it doesn't appear to allow for the makeover that we need. IMO we should not be tacking the get rid of dead weight course but the makeover philosphy in approaching other teams to sell the trade of some of the contracts and players that would allow us to get tougher now. I agree with allot of other posters about the need for more toughness and grit on both the forward and defense fronts because that will open time and space for our more skilled albeit softer players...... I do not want to wait 3-4 years to see that happen either.

Hey it's none of my business but I have been reading and posting here for years. You have always been a moderate and pretty tolerant of us lesser knowlegeable fans. Hell thats why I read here because I do not have the time, a hobby or a job that allows me the width and depth of facts and opinions expressed here.

The last couple of days your responses appear to have a bombastic tone. I hope all is well on the SDS homefront.

Everything is fine and I'm not sure why you would suggest I'm being bombastic... Because someone was being a jackass to me and I called them a jackass for it? :lol: Whatever. I'm certainly not going to take anyone seriously who tries to equate all 1st round draft choices with Marek Zagrapan and then implies I'm an idiot for not thinking the same way. :rolleyes:

It is no secret that I'm not a fan of overly negative people who bring nothing to the discussion but blanket insults of the team and management. "Video scouting" is one of those topics that attracts these people who don't really care about reality, but love to see their insults on their screen.

I think some of them are probably doing a good job (everything I read about Khmylev is positive), and some of them probably are not, and if the Sabres can hire 20 scouts (as silvermike suggested) who will do a good job and reduce the reliance the video, it would help.

Every comment ever made against video scouting makes it sound as if it is 100% video and no one out there on the road. Now I know you realize that's not true, but others around here (one name comes to mind) absolutely believe that. Now, we have no idea exactly how they use it, but the right combination of video and physical scouting seems like it would be very beneficial. Other teams use video too, so there is obviously a positive to it if used in the right way.

Archived