[OT] Michael Jackson has died

darksabre

My girlfriend has a theory that stars die in groups of three. Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and, now, Michael Jackson. Stars around the world should feel safe for a little while.

My wife says the same thing to me.

My girlfriend has a theory that stars die in groups of three. Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and, now, Michael Jackson. Stars around the world should feel safe for a little while.

Yeah, I heard that quite a lot this morning after Farrah died.. and then lo and behold, there goes MJ <_<

I am saddened by FARRAH's passing. A true icon. The most beautiful woman in the world at one time.

Sad she's gone and has to "share" this day with MJ.

I'm going out to the garage to see "the poster" and I'll raise my glass to her.

I am saddened by FARRAH's passing. A true icon. The most beautiful woman in the world at one time.

Sad she's gone and has to "share" this day with MJ.

I'm going out to the garage to see "the poster" and I'll raise my glass to her.

With all those quotation marks, didn't you mean your "glass"?

Well looks like I have to go against the grain with the tone in this thread so far. :rolleyes:

Let me say that yes it is a sad day and some people do care. I will admit the dude got real weird in older age but nothing(pediphile) was ever really proven amongst all of the allegations. I do think what we had here was a tortured soul hanging onto his childhood. Anyone whose getting a little long in tooth can understand the desire to hang onto their youth. What gets overlooked is all the generous things he did for many other kids over the years at his never never land that never accused him of anything and it gets passed over in all that other hear say.

There is a reason he is considered the king of pop and he also did a hell of allot for the music industry and set many trends through the early part of his career and into the late 80's. Who doesn't know someone who tried to moonwalk ? He was a perfomer that entertained and I for one am sad I never did get to see one of his shows in the eighties... They were chick magnets .....

Michael no one understood you but may you finally have some peace..

Well looks like I have to go against the grain with the tone in this thread so far. :rolleyes:

Let me say that yes it is a sad day and some people do care. I will admit the dude got real weird in older age but nothing(pediphile) was ever really proven amongst all of the allegations. I do think what we had here was a tortured soul hanging onto his childhood. Anyone whose getting a little long in tooth can understand the desire to hang onto their youth. What gets overlooked is all the generous things he did for many other kids over the years at his never never land that never accused him of anything and it gets passed over in all that other hear say.

There is a reason he is considered the king of pop and he also did a hell of allot for the music industry and set many trends through the early part of his career and into the late 80's. Who doesn't know someone who tried to moonwalk ? He was a perfomer that entertained and I for one am sad I never did get to see one of his shows in the eighties... They were chick magnets .....

Michael no one understood you but may you finally have some peace..

good post.

And I agree. He was trying to HAVE a childhood, one that his over-controlling, abusive father never let him have in the first place.

I expect that after the toxicology report we'll find he died like Elvis, drugged up and down by people around him that wanted him to keep going and make them money. Sad.

i have the same suspicion.

while the guy obviously wound up miles off the reservation -- hell, he wound up in a different universe -- i can't deny being amazed at what he did when he was still holding sh*t together. the pollyanna in me prefers not to think about his insistent defense of his "innocent" and "pure" practice of having sleep-overs with pre-adolescent boys, and instead prefers to think about the night that i stayed up to watch the network premier of the entire thriller "video," or the night i watched motown's 25th anniversary show on nbc.

as to the latter, even though i was at that time a too-young-too-serious prog. rock nutter (you know the profile: genesis, yes, gabriel, rush, tull, elp, along with some beatles, stones, floyd, and zeppelin permissibly in the mix), i watched that willowy guy tear up billie jean and said to myself: damn. i also recall school the next day -- my teachers just could not keep the class focused -- everyone was busy talking about, imitating the moonwalk, etc.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7QovUd7PYw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7QovUd7PYw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and, yeah, flame away - i opened myself up to that.

why is this posted on SS in the first place?

Because we here at SS feel the need to share in a collective loss, but don't actually care enough to go somewhere else and seek out more of a forum than this. It was marked OT, it's Summer, and there is not much else going on. Also, there are only so many different threads about the draft that one can read in a day.

why is this posted on SS in the first place?

i will chime in as well: this is the only online community that i frequent. there are a whole slew of regulars whose opinions, perspectives, etc. i enjoy and respect, and that extends beyond hockey. so, when it's the offseason, i am especially inclined to talk about all sorts of OT matters here because i enjoy reading what the regulars around here have to say.

Archived