The Music Thread

darksabre

So Rush released a 40th anniversary edition of 2112, and included in the package are covers by Dave Grohl (2112 overture), Alice In Chains (Tears) , Steven Wilson (Twilight Zone)...and this guy who I never heard of before Jacob Moon (Something For Nothing).  Some googling revealed that he also did a cover of Subdivisions a few years back that went semi-viral. It's an interesting take...

Awesome songs that were classics in my mind and when I hear them after a long time it's like an epiphany for me.

Led Zeppelin's.... Bring it on Home

Rolling Stones..... You can't always get what you want

Bob Dylan's .......  Desolation Row

Beatles...............  The trilogy--Golden Slumbers, Carry that Weight, The End

U2's .................... All Because of you

Patti Smith's ........ Gloria

Clash's ...............  Should I Stay or Should I Go

Kenny Wayne Shepherd's........ I'm a King Bee

Joe Cocker's ........ Cry me a River

Stevie Ray Vaughan's.... Crossfire

Buddy Guy's......... Mustang Sally

Depeche Mode's... Personal Jesus

There are more of course but those are the first that came to me

Edited by jsb

• 2 weeks later...

Not ashamed to admit that I've been taking in Christopher Cross lately. Such good song writing and the voice. ###### angelic. I could listen to him sing my grocery list.

Haha, I was listening to my Yacht Rock playlist at work this afternoon. One of those days I guess.

Speaking of Christopher Cross, Rick Astley has a new album out too and it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVCme_D7pV4

I have no clue how to link to videos so I hope I did that right. Either way, Ryan Adams is a national treasure. It may be a disservice to introduce him as covering a Taylor Swift song (he did the entire album), but this is still a decent place to start. He has dozens of great albums and changes styles frequently from folksy americana to straight up 80s glam rock. Hope some of you enjoy.

You guys know that I am a huge Queen guy.  They are my #1A to The Clash.

For me Queen was only with Freddie.  I did like that the three remaining members did that one single as Queen as a tribute to Freddie in 1995 and then John Deacon officially retired.  To my knowledge, he never played with Brian and Roger again.

My Queen never included that Paul Rogers dude and certainly does not include some American Idol dude, which I just found out about yesterday.  To me it's not good enough to be billed as Queen + (fill in the blank).

Brian turns 70 this year and Roger turns 68 this year.  I think it's time you guys retired and enjoyed your legacy as Queen with Freddie and John.

/rant

Yesterday I woke up with this stuck in my head.

Amongst my friends, I am a well known DMB hater. Many of them are Dave heads. I haven't heard that song in at least a decade and I woke up with it buzzing in my head. So I went to YouTube and I went straight through the whole Busted Stuff album. It's pretty solid.

Slowly becoming a big fan of Disturbed. 

Yesterday in my aerial silks class, we had a fun playlist moment. 

My instructor is, from neck down, a prototype super muscular he-man wearing skin tight spandex that hides nothing, and from neck up, a stereotypical bespectacled programmer d&d playing nerd. He's a study in contrasts. 

So he's showing us a roll, this beautiful, graceful move, on a bright pink silk, when his playlist starts playing Disturbed. In a class that usually plays chill out music. So there we all are, being as graceful, relaxed, and feminine as possible while the stereo blares "GOooooWAHAHAHAH"

just kinda worked.

Edited by Josie914

I'm such a Melon head that I feel I must share the story of Wooh as told by Shannon's mother. Apparently Shannon stole Wooh from the pet store in the mall. He said it was because the store owner wasn't taking good care of the dog. As time went on Wooh fell ill and needed surgery. Well Wooh didn't survive and Shannon was "so GD mad that he could not see..." and threw a brick through the vet's front window. Then he wrote the song. The studio version is the best IMO.

I've pined over the lyric "I wonder if you're feeling anything at all, in you're new world....."

I'm such a Melon head that I feel I must share the story of Wooh as told by Shannon's mother. Apparently Shannon stole Wooh from the pet store in the mall. He said it was because the store owner wasn't taking good care of the dog. As time went on Wooh fell ill and needed surgery. Well Wooh didn't survive and Shannon was "so GD mad that he could not see..." and threw a brick through the vet's front window. Then he wrote the song. The studio version is the best IMO.

I've pined over the lyric "I wonder if you're feeling anything at all, in you're new world....."

My friend at my last job turned me onto 'Change' when I was in a really low spot with everything a few months ago. He's a huge fan. Honestly, I'd never listened beyond the hit everyone knows. I'm glad he sent it to me. It was just what I needed, and I've really come to be a fan myself. 

Here's Shannon and Wooh Dog himself haha 

PxuCR0z.jpg