PLAYOFF DISCUSSION THREAD

Eleven

Are you freaking kidding? I didn't see it, but wow, how many breaks can they get?

Even the Versus guys picked it up, of all people.

Detroit got their breaks in this game though, they just haven't cashed in, especially on that score of penalties in the 2nd.

Ugh, I didn't want them to tie this series up.

Are you freaking kidding? I didn't see it, but wow, how many breaks can they get?

Detroit got their breaks in this game though, they just haven't cashed in, especially on that score of penalties in the 2nd.

Believe me, I hate both teams and I find I'm angry when either team scores, but that fourth goal by the Pens was just awesome. To me it looked like the Fleury outplayed Osgood and the Pens completely outplayed the Wings. The Refs had nothing to do with it.

Another pretty good game, and now we have a good series.

Pittsburgh goes down 2-1, and then their big guns take over. This was Crosby's best game of the series. Same for Fleury. Staal's drive for the tying goal was a great, great play. And Malkin continues to play extremely well.

Detroit still looks like a great team, but maybe a little weary. Not having Datsyuk is starting to catch up.

The odds still favor Detroit, but Pittsburgh can win if they keep hitting and Fleury keeps playing well.

By the way: why do some posters dislike the Penguins? I really like them -- probably more than any other EC team except the Sabres.

Shocking that the guy who was coaching these guys right after the lockout but didn't get enough rope to see the job done picks up on breaks the Pens get and won't stop harping on them. (Anyone want to wager on whether we hear in Game 6 about the too-many-men on ice that "cost" Detroit Game 3?)

Apparently getting fired trumps spending the 1st 6-1/2 years of your career considering the Wings one of your top (if not your biggest) rivals and then going back and having your "day job" being a broadcaster for a team that considers Detroit one of its top (if not biggest) rivals.

I've always had a lot of respect for Eddie O. This series is very disappointing from that standpoint. I'm hoping it is just his attempt to overcompensate for trying not to seem a homer for the Pens, but it's coming across as sour grapes about not getting an opportunity to actually EARN having his name on the Chalice.

By the way: why do some posters dislike the Penguins? I really like them -- probably more than any other EC team except the Sabres.

I won't speak for everyone, but I'm just tired of them. If the talk isn't about Crosby, it's about Malkin. If not about Malkin, it's about how Mario Lemieux saved the franchise. If it's not about Lemieux, it's about something else with them. It's been old for a long time.

I won't speak for everyone, but I'm just tired of them. If the talk isn't about Crosby, it's about Malkin. If not about Malkin, it's about how Mario Lemieux saved the franchise. If it's not about Lemieux, it's about something else with them. It's been old for a long time.

So it's a matter of hype getting on your nerves? Fair enough, I guess, but from my perspective I like the way they play the game. Crosby and Malkin are coming into their own as a modern-day Gretzky-Messier combo. They also have a pretty good amount of grit in Staal, Guerin, Orpik, Letang, etc. Detroit is a better team, but Pittsburgh is playing with a tremendous amount of heart (although the thunder and lightning from the elite players certainly helps) and they might pull it off.

As for Lemieux saving the team -- I think if Perreault had led the Sabres to 2 cups, retired, and then rescued the team from bankruptcy and leaving the city, he'd be mayor for life too.

I dislike them because they are from Pittsburgh. That's reason enough for me.

But isn't Pittsburgh as a city pretty similar to Buffalo? Are you PO'd because they've won championships and we haven't?

I echo this. Also, I dated a Pens fan for over three years, and she annoyed the hell out of me with respect to hockey. And, in fact, with respect to everything else.

Shocking that the guy who was coaching these guys right after the lockout but didn't get enough rope to see the job done picks up on breaks the Pens get and won't stop harping on them. (Anyone want to wager on whether we hear in Game 6 about the too-many-men on ice that "cost" Detroit Game 3?)

Apparently getting fired trumps spending the 1st 6-1/2 years of your career considering the Wings one of your top (if not your biggest) rivals and then going back and having your "day job" being a broadcaster for a team that considers Detroit one of its top (if not biggest) rivals.

I've always had a lot of respect for Eddie O. This series is very disappointing from that standpoint. I'm hoping it is just his attempt to overcompensate for trying not to seem a homer for the Pens, but it's coming across as sour grapes about not getting an opportunity to actually EARN having his name on the Chalice.

I think you are giving EO too much credit. He's just an idiot.

I've come to believe the national broadcasts always tend to favor either the huge media markets (remember ABC's tilted Super Bowl 25 broadcast) or the team that is perceived to be the impending champion. I guarantee you that if the Pens win Game 5, the tenor of the broadcast will change dramatically back in Pittsburgh.

Then I think human nature plays into it. The play by play guys on a national level always tend to want to hitch their wagon to the winner. I can still hear Gary Thorne's maniacal bellowing for every Stars goal in 1999 and a much more toned down presentation for the two times the Sabres scored in that series.

I echo this. Also, I dated a Pens fan for over three years, and she annoyed the hell out of me with respect to hockey. And, in fact, with respect to everything else.

That's my major issue with Pittsburgh, their fans are f*cking annoying. Out of anyone I know who is an avid hockey fan, Pens fans are the worst. They are in your face about everything and think they are the greatest thing since goalie masks. We should all be blessed by their presence and their expert knowledge of all things hockey, but don't ask em who Tom Barrasso is or they'll get all up in your face askin' "Who cares? Crosby f*cked ya mom, biatch!"

That's my major issue with Pittsburgh, their fans are f*cking annoying. Out of anyone I know who is an avid hockey fan, Pens fans are the worst. They are in your face about everything and think they are the greatest thing since goalie masks. We should all be blessed by their presence and their expert knowledge of all things hockey, but don't ask em who Tom Barrasso is or they'll get all up in your face askin' "Who cares? Crosby f*cked ya mom, biatch!"

All fans, everywhere, are annoying.

Pittsburgh fans are especially annoying because, as they are speaking, you realize they have enjoyed championships in so many sports. while we go begging for just one.

All fans, everywhere, are annoying.

Pittsburgh fans are especially annoying because, as they are speaking, you realize they have enjoyed championships in so many sports. while we go begging for just one.

Believe me I live it every f'n day of my life living here. <_<

You are absolutely right. Seriously, they are worse than NYC fans. They are worse than Boston or Dallas fans. Whoever doesn't worship black and gold (all three of their sports) has something wrong with them, in their eyes.

You are absolutely right. Seriously, they are worse than NYC fans. They are worse than Boston or Dallas fans. Whoever doesn't worship black and gold (all three of their sports) has something wrong with them, in their eyes.

I spent 20 minutes with a buddy of mine this afternoon listening to him b*tch about some "uneducated" comments some friends of mine made on my facebook about the Pens and Crosby, and just trying to passively disagree with him, because if there is one thing we both love it is hockey, but I can't stand him when he goes on and on about the Pens. It's just his demeanor more than anything. That and his Pittsburgh accent. It's the total package.

Maybe the Canes fans weren't kidding.

Really looking forward to tonight, and I'm a guy who doesn't usually watch the finals until someone can win the Cup. Pretty dramatic and intriguing stuff. One dynasty appears to have just its fingernails embedded in the side of the cliff, and the next one's on the verge of kicking the #%^$#!er in the head. Mixed metaphors?

Really looking forward to tonight, and I'm a guy who doesn't usually watch the finals until someone can win the Cup. Pretty dramatic and intriguing stuff. One dynasty appears to have just its fingernails embedded in the side of the cliff, and the next one's on the verge of kicking the #%^$#!er in the head. Mixed metaphors?

I saw the score after the 2nd period and didn't even watch, just saw the highlights this morning. I'll hold off judgement on pittsburgh till after game 6, but they got the snot beat out of them last night.

I saw the score after the 2nd period and didn't even watch, just saw the highlights this morning. I'll hold off judgement on pittsburgh till after game 6, but they got the snot beat out of them last night.

True dat. "Grit" sure lost out to smarts last night. It was an embarrassment for Pittsburgh.

Archived