PLAYOFF DISCUSSION THREAD

Eleven

Guest Sloth
Which brings us to the list of former Sabres who've won the Cup...

Barrasshole

The a#$^$#!e

Andy

There's more. Come on people.

Didn't a former Stanley Cup winner named Hasek play for Sabres? Any of you guys remember him? :beer: It's beer night, alright! Go Pens in the finals.

*I'm not a Pens fan, but I am hoping the Wings don't win another Cup.

Didn't a former Stanley Cup winner named Hasek play for Sabres? Any of you guys remember him?

Here are some more:

Cory Sarich

Richard Smehlik (tough to believe, right?)

Benoit Hogue

Dave Hannan

Jay Wells

Kevin Haller

Norm Lacombe

I'm sure there are more, but coming up with Jay Wells pretty much exhausted me.

Nice win by the Wings tonight....and a very nice comeback win by my Hershey Bears in the first game of the Calder Cup Finals tonight.

I'll digress from the NHL playoff talk to just add something about the AHL playoffs...their schedule is just ridiculous. Instead of the 2-2-1-1-1 series format, they use the 2-3-2 format. Game 1 was tonight in Manitoba, and game 2 is not until Tuesday. Then they have a layoff until Friday night, where they play game 3, Saturday game 4, and Monday Game 5.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I am leaving for the beach next weekend, and probably won't get to any of the Bears' home games, but this seems like a lot of unnecessary waiting to play games.

I'll digress from the NHL playoff talk to just add something about the AHL playoffs...their schedule is just ridiculous. Instead of the 2-2-1-1-1 series format, they use the 2-3-2 format. Game 1 was tonight in Manitoba, and game 2 is not until Tuesday. Then they have a layoff until Friday night, where they play game 3, Saturday game 4, and Monday Game 5.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I am leaving for the beach next weekend, and probably won't get to any of the Bears' home games, but this seems like a lot of unnecessary waiting to play games.

Wow....this is similar to how TNT/NBC used to handle the NBA playoffs. "Let's have Game 1 on Saturday, but we can't cover Game 2 until the following Thursday, so we'll make the teams & fans wait until then so we can get our riches."

Outside of arena committments, I don't see why the AHL needs to do this.

Wow, talk about a puck that you keep: Justin Abdelkader gets his first NHL goal in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final!

Great name. Doesn't sound human.

I thought it was a sloppy game. The puck possession freak Wings had a lot more turnovers than usual. I got the feeling watching the game that even if a bunch of non hockey fans decided to watch on NBC, the game wasn't nearly good enough to sell them on the sport. The goals were ugly.

Anyone else think the "liveliness" of boards ought to be standardized around the league? That's pretty outlandish in Detroit -- almost Arena Football-esque. Is there a Stimpmeter-like device for measuring such things? (Stimpmeters measure the speed of greens in golf.)

Anyway, so far so good in terms of denying the Pittspukers.

Wow....this is similar to how TNT/NBC used to handle the NBA playoffs. "Let's have Game 1 on Saturday, but we can't cover Game 2 until the following Thursday, so we'll make the teams & fans wait until then so we can get our riches."

Outside of arena committments, I don't see why the AHL needs to do this.

Agreed. I can possibly see why the format is done that way to reduce travel costs for teams that don't make nearly as much money as NHL clubs do, but spreading the games out so badly is just dumb. Completely disrupts the flow of the series.

Oh, and the Red Wings' sound guy is pulling out every '80s "sports arena classic" he can find. Lame.

I noticed that too. "Come on feel the noise"?? During the 3rd period of a finals game? Awful.

Otherwise, though, Detroit is awesome in just about every phase of the game. And they didn't even have Datsyuk, an MVP finalist.

I noticed that too. "Come on feel the noise"?? During the 3rd period of a finals game? Awful.

Otherwise, though, Detroit is awesome in just about every phase of the game. And they didn't even have Datsyuk, an MVP finalist.

Yeah but isn't it interesting that the crowd sings along to a lot of these "classics." "Living on a prayer." Kind of refreshing that Detroit actually considers the possibility that adults are in the stands. It's an old school atmosphere for sure. Gotta love Billy Joel!

As an aside, how smart is it to start the game at 8:20? I say at 8 o'clock and 15 seconds, you drop the puck! How is an audience of mildly interested non hockey fans held for 20 minutes of drivel and commercials?

Playing Detroit when the Red Wings have the puck is extremely frustrating - the sound positional play, the team speed, the hustle, and team skill make the Wings tenacious defenders in all three zones of the ice. Teams have difficulty getting set up in the offensive zone and generating shots (let alone quality scoring chances).

As an aside - would any of the Sabres defensemen crack the Red Wings line-up? Stuart-Kronwall-Lidstrom-Rafalski-Ericksson-Lebda are the 6 Wings defensemen dressed yesterday. Lilja, who impressed me in the 2008 final is injured. Thats a pretty strong group 1-6.

The Wings have their give-aways (like on the Pens goal in Game 1); however, in general, their breakouts are high-quality and lead to readily gaining the offensive zone. Excellent speed through the neutral zone from their breakouts.

We'll see if the Pens can rebound and "hold serve" (sorry, French Open Tennis on TV right now) and make this a series.

Guest Sloth

The NHL is ALWAYS in need of a 6 or 7 game series. If Detroit wins game 3, it'll be a very disappointing Stanley Cup Final. The ratings already suck, but they'll take a complete dive if it appears to be a sweep.

You're not helping the NHL out Detroit!

The NHL is ALWAYS in need of a 6 or 7 game series. If Detroit wins game 3, it'll be a very disappointing Stanley Cup Final. The ratings already suck, but they'll take a complete dive if it appears to be a sweep.

You're not helping the NHL out Detroit!

Yeah, a 4-0 series would be terrible. 4-1 wouldn't be much better, but at least Detroit would win it on home ice this year. Could you imagine if they win it in 4 or 6 on the Pens home ice ... again? Talk about a low feeling for fans; watching the same team skate the Cup in their building two years in a row.

Yeah, a 4-0 series would be terrible. 4-1 wouldn't be much better, but at least Detroit would win it on home ice this year. Could you imagine if they win it in 4 or 6 on the Pens home ice ... again? Talk about a low feeling for fans; watching the same team skate the Cup in their building two years in a row.

Yesssssss....

PASabreFans purrs, puts his leg over his head and licks away.

Don't toy with my emoticons like that.

This is disturbing.

Yes, very although I find myself strangely aroused. :ph34r:

And, suddenly, there is more than one of us. And I can't conjugate.

I love everything about these non-sentences.

While watching the Swedish National Team on their way to their 2nd consecutive cup, I couldn't help but wonder. Why is our one Swede so horrible? Hopefully the next one (and hell, I'll throw in Persson too) will work out better.

Archived