Aud demolition

LabattBlue

Great pics. Thanks for posting them. Amazing the city of Buffalo is actually going thru with it (since it takes them forever to do anything!). Now only if they can take down those rust bucket grain elevators - the eyesore of the waterfront.

Sure do miss the Aud though. Alot of memories for me during the 80's.

Great pics, :thumbsup: makes me a little sentimental looking at it, :rolleyes: kinda hear an old Frank Sinatra song playing in the back ground while I look at that proud old visage,,,

"Thanks for the memory,

Of things I can't forget

Of journey's on a ......... "

Now if they could only do the same thing to the skyway we'd be onto something.

How about Maple Leaf Gardens? Scott Laughlin said on HTM a few months ago that they're having a serious problem with an infestation of rats. Not the kind of thing I'd want if Loblaws wanted to turn it into a super-grocery store.

It was such a great place to watch a game...the sound was great, the seats were so steep it felt as if you could fall onto the ice from the Oranges. I saw some interesting shows there too...U2, The Police, Lionel Ritchie (lmao at that memory of that one, I fell asleep it was so borning, thank god the tix were free), the Globetrotters. In March of 1980 I saw a game against the Harford Whalers (Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe were playing for them)...I sat behind the Sabres bench with my parents...and got TWO pucks in the same game!

It was an arena that needed to be replaced...but the memories are priceless...there was the Moscow Dynamo game in 1980 too...watching Gilbert Perreault (no matter how great Hasek was...Gilbert will always be my favorite Sabre). It's for these and many other reasons that it's nice to see the third jersey reflect some of the past.

Now all that we can hope for is a sinkin' Cup and to never have to relive the memories of Paul Cyr and the rest of the wasted '80s....when we couldn't beat soul in the playoffs - when we made the playoffs.

• 4 months later...

They are starting to tear the Aud down and if the weather lets up, I'm going to head down there in the next few days and take a few pictures. If you are facing the front of the Aud, they are currently taking down the section to the right of the main entrance. There is also a huge pile of garbage included broken upholstered lower golds on the side of the Aud facing the Marine Drive apartments.

2/3/09 pics. The last two are from the side of the Aud facing the Marine Drive apartments. The cool part about these two is that you can see the original side entrances that were covered up with the roof was raised. Also in the last two pics(below the entrance doors) is a pile of garbage including orange seat backs. Part of me wanted to just walk in and grab one. I was hoping someone would come out that I could ask, but there was no one to be found.

post-55-1233708493_thumbjpg

post-55-1233708503_thumbjpg

post-55-1233708516_thumbjpg

post-55-1233708526_thumbjpg

post-55-1233708538_thumbjpg

post-55-1233708549_thumbjpg

post-55-1233708560_thumbjpg

post-55-1233708570_thumbjpg

I guess their not going to keep the part that says Buffalo Memorial Auditorium? Yup sad to see.

Looks like there's a ton of scrap steel there and if it's anything like around here, that's worth alot. They should have a security guard that keeps an eye out for metal scavengers.

I guess their not going to keep the part that says Buffalo Memorial Auditorium? Yup sad to see.

Looks like there's a ton of scrap steel there and if it's anything like around here, that's worth alot. They should have a security guard that keeps an eye out for metal scavengers.

If you look at my pics from last year, they saved the NYS emblem which was above the "Buffalo Memorial Auditorium" wording. I also believe the demo contractors who bid on the job factored in the cost of scrap steel as part of their bid. When the scrap steel market bottomed out several months ago, the demolition contractor who was awarded the low bid initially, walked away from the job.

Aud demo, taking down the front Feb 10, 2009. Nothing spectacular, just a big mess.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Aud demo, taking down the front Feb 10, 2009. Nothing spectacular, just a big mess.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I took some more pics today and will post them today or tomorrow. You can actually see the baffles hanging from the ceiling inside of the Aud.

Archived