Aud demolition

LabattBlue

• 2 weeks later...
Except for the elevated highway going right by the Aud, I don't know why they don't try to implode the building. It would make it that much easier to get the job done and over with.

Because this is Buffalo and we like to drag things out as long as possible.

I bet they get it half down and wind up stalling for a year renegotiating the demo contract.

And completely cuts off the waterfront? It needs to go ASAP.

That is the story of BFLO... The whole waterfront is cut off from the river to the lake.... What really needs to happen is the whole Niagara section of the Thruway needs to be moved east. That will never happen... But it has been proposed even when they were constructing that beast many years ago. So many mistakes planningwise, where do you begin? :wallbash:

A little trivia:

BFLO was the first city in the country to have ALL paved roads.

That is the story of BFLO... The whole waterfront is cut off from the river to the lake.... What really needs to happen is the whole Niagara section of the Thruway needs to be moved east. That will never happen... But it has been proposed even when they were constructing that beast many years ago. So many mistakes planningwise, where do you begin? :wallbash:

A little trivia:

BFLO was the first city in the country to have ALL paved roads.

Which happened in 1901. Which coincidentally was the last time Buffalo bother to pave the roads also. ;)

Because it's ugly as sin?

I know it seems to be the general concensus that everyone hates it, but I really don't mind it and I think it actually looks kinda cool. Plus, it's an awesome view of the lake and the naval park when you're up there driving (well, in the outbound lane anyway).

I also don't understand why it's "in the way" of waterfront development...just build underneath and around it. In fact, I would think the fact that it's elevated to the degree that is would actually create more space to be developed. I'd rather see them take the hundreds of millions of dollars it would cost to tear it down and instead use that money to actually build something. We should build a new Peace Bridge before we even think about tearing down the skyway. Just my .02

I know it seems to be the general concensus that everyone hates it, but I really don't mind it and I think it actually looks kinda cool. Plus, it's an awesome view of the lake and the naval park when you're up there driving (well, in the outbound lane anyway).

I also don't understand why it's "in the way" of waterfront development...just build underneath and around it. In fact, I would think the fact that it's elevated to the degree that is would actually create more space to be developed. I'd rather see them take the hundreds of millions of dollars it would cost to tear it down and instead use that money to actually build something. We should build a new Peace Bridge before we even think about tearing down the skyway. Just my .02

That has actually been discussed in recent months. I know I read about it in The Trucker a while back, but they don't have that article archived online.

At the very least, the Peace Bridge does need a retrofit. Granted, I was on the Peace Bridge in my truck about two years ago, and it took a while to get through customs after picking up a load in the Falls. Having said that, the Peace Bridge is actually in much better shape than the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit/Windsor. The road surface on that bridge is just absolutely horrible! :thumbdown:

EDIT: I stand corrected. Here's a quote from Michigan DOT spokesman Bill Schreck: "We have six lanes of traffic at Detroit/Windsor and two are tunnels which can't handle truck traffic," Shreck said. "We're competing with Buffalo and Niagara Falls which have 14 lanes, and they are talking about expanding."

It would take millions to tear it down, but the problem is the cost of keeping it far outweighs the cost of tearing it down. They would save a lot more $ in the long run.

It would take millions to tear it down, but the problem is the cost of keeping it far outweighs the cost of tearing it down. They would save a lot more $ in the long run.

Really? Do you have any linkage to back that up? I don't really doubt you, but I'd be interested in reading more about that if it's indeed true.

Don't forget, it's not just the cost of tearing it down...you'd have to also add the cost of replacing it, correct? It's hard to believe that all of that would be cheaper than maintaining an existing road.

Archived