Aud demolition

LabattBlue

Another one that doesn't live in Buffalo trashing the city....

:thumbdown:

Here are some other interesting fact about Buffalo.

Buffalo Historic Highlights

And just for the record, I was born and raised in Dunkirk, NY til I finally went to college so I'm sure I've caught enough guff about where I'm from to tease about buffalo.

Really? Do you have any linkage to back that up? I don't really doubt you, but I'd be interested in reading more about that if it's indeed true.

Don't forget, it's not just the cost of tearing it down...you'd have to also add the cost of replacing it, correct? It's hard to believe that all of that would be cheaper than maintaining an existing road.

https://www.nysdot.gov/portal/page/portal/n...2008/2008-11-20

Thanks for the linkage. Interesting stuff, but unless I missed it somewhere, it doesn't say anything at all about how much it would cost to demolish it and build another highway, so it doesn't really answer my question. It does say that it would cost $26m in today's dollars to maintain and preserve the bridge for another 20 years, or $62m to refurbish it to last another 50 years. Rico7 said "the cost of keeping it far outweighs the cost of tearing it down", but the opposite would appear to be true. There is no possible way that it would cost less than $26m (or even $62m) to tear it down and replace it, so it appears you have made my point for me (unless I'm missing something). Thanks!

In 2006, approximately 45 commercial vessel crossings took place utilizing the two channels, the Buffalo River and the Buffalo Ship Canal, under the Skyway.

There were more than 50 crossings made by the Fire Tug ?Cotter?, and numerous passages were made by high-mast sailboats from marinas on the Buffalo River located immediately north of the Skyway.

I didn't think it was that many. Anyway, if they built a new span, they would have to build it high enough to accomadate the high profile vessels... And IMO, there is no way they are building a draw/lift span.

Same thing with the Peace Bridge span over the Black Rock section... I can see why those current specs have to stay, if they didn't you would totally kill ANY chance of waterborne commerce from every utilizing BFLO's waterfront.

All I wanted to do was post some pics of the Aud demolition. Does everything have to turn into a pissing match. <_<

:oops: :oops:

Sorry for the tangent. I don't think anybody is being disrespectful to you. I will cease and desist any side bar comments (can I post that in the TSW/OTW "Lent Thread"?). :nana:

Any way you can sneak in there and get me some of those old cigarette butts from the ceiling? I want a few for my gameroom.

Those things have to smell soooo bad by now. Like a pair of old sneaks that have been sitting in bong water inside a box for 20 years. :sick:

All I wanted to do was post some pics of the Aud demolition. Does everything have to turn into a pissing match. <_<

O our Blue,

We'r heartily sorry for

having offended Thee,

and we detest all our posts,

because we dread the loss of SabreSpace,

but most of all because

they offend Thee, our Blue,

Who are all good and

deserving of all our best posts.

We firmly resolve,

with the help of Thy moderation,

to do edits,

and to amend our threads.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and oh, nice pics :D

O our Blue,

We'r heartily sorry for

having offended Thee,

and we detest all our posts,

because we dread the loss of SabreSpace,

but most of all because

they offend Thee, our Blue,

Who are all good and

deserving of all our best posts.

We firmly resolve,

with the help of Thy moderation,

to do edits,

and to amend our threads.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and oh, nice pics :D

:lol:

Don't mind me. I'm just having a bad day at work. :)

Because that's what some people think a message board is for rather than the open-minded exchange of opinions?

I'm glad you posted them. I'm not in Buffalo so I can't see this happening.

It is very sad, but it is time to say goodbye to the old barn.

Hey Labatt I really enjoy the pictures, although they kinda make me sad...

I look at them and can hear the echoes of those long ago crowds. I can almost feel the roar.

Some powerful memories, for sure!

I don't get that kind of feeling at all. To me, that building died years ago. To me, it's a pretty entertaining process. Instead of just looking like a crappy abandoned building, it finally has some character again.

I don't get that kind of feeling at all. To me, that building died years ago. To me, it's a pretty entertaining process. Instead of just looking like a crappy abandoned building, it finally has some character again.

hopefully they find that $$ in there that Griffin stashed all those years ago that was to be used for the rockpile.

Plus, it's an awesome view of the lake and the naval park when you're up there driving (well, in the outbound lane anyway).

If you're a passenger!

Please pay attention to the road when driving there.

The expensive paint jobs and repairs are negatves.

I believe Higgins web site has some info regarding the pros/ cons of it's existence.

I think it should come down.

There should be an alternative route coming through the brownfields/ Woodlawn and such into the southtowns/ Rt. 179/ thruway area.

Not to get off on a tangent...but GREAT pics.

Keep em' coming.

Does anyone know how to get linked to that Aud 360 degree cam...or is that dead?

Archived