Aud demolition

LabattBlue

LQ and his ECHDC buddies have to be shitting their pants. As soon as the demo is complete people are going to want to know the latest about Bass Pro. I am in favor of them building here and think it would be a success and a nice cornerstone down there, but in this economy unless the state is funding a HUGE majority of the project, I don't see it happening. Keep in mind that Bass Pro has never signed on the dotted line.

Do people actually expect anything to ever happen with Bass Pro? I was under the impression that this was a hopeless cause.

Do people actually expect anything to ever happen with Bass Pro? I was under the impression that this was a hopeless cause.

The latest inner harbor plan("Canalside") still revolves around Bass Pro. This version of the plan was released at some point in the last quarter of 2009.

http://eriecanalharbor.com/pdf/CanalSide/FAQ.pdf

and...

http://eriecanalharbor.com/12-14-08CanalSide.asp

The following link has a good overview of "Canal Side." It almost sounds like it's going to happen! Article says talks with Bass Pro are "going well" and construction will start this fall, with an opening two years from now.

The Canal intrigues me. A dumb question. What they revealed in the first part of the project is the western terminus of it, right? Where does it go from downtown Buffalo? Is the rest also "underground"?

The following link has a good overview of "Canal Side." It almost sounds like it's going to happen! Article says talks with Bass Pro are "going well" and construction will start this fall, with an opening two years from now.

The Canal intrigues me. A dumb question. What they revealed in the first part of the project is the western terminus of it, right? Where does it go from downtown Buffalo? Is the rest also "underground"?

What link? :rolleyes:

There are old time buffalo street maps that show how they considered this to be the canal terminus. I know they are online somewhere. The rest of the canal route it took is gone and buried probably forever. I think it followed ran parallel with the BUffalo River and then connected to the present day erie canl up in tonawanda.

Can't hide the ugliness of the skyway. Wonder how many of those buildings will actually be built. Probably Bass Pro Shops and then...I'm almost imagining a bunch of empty lots then.

one article:

The entire section of the Erie Canal between Tonawanda and Buffalo was abandoned, though not without local resistance. Enough local pressure was brought to get a bill introduced in the New York State Legislature in 1917 to build a new lock at Tonawanda in order to preserve the canal between Buffalo and Tonawanda. It failed to get support, the canal bed was abandoned and most of it filled in over the years.

* Some of the land was taken for industrial use.

* Some, like Erie County's Isle View and Tonawanda's Niawanda Parks, provide recreational use.

* Much of the canal route between Buffalo and Tonawanda was redeveloped as the Niagara Thruway in the 1950s.

* During the 1980s and '90s, the City of Buffalo, the City of Tonawanda and Erie County converted most of the canal bed along the Niagara River into recreational areas, including the "Riverwalk," which provides hikers, joggers, bikers, skaters and skiers with the opportunity to enjoy the route where mules once pulled canal boats

Much of the section north of the Grand Island bridges was used as a dump by the City of Buffalo and from 1919 to 1925, the Huff Feeding Corporation kept thousands of pigs here to dispose of Buffalo's garbage, The sickening stench from the "Piggery," as it was called, sorely agitated residents of the area, who eventually forced Buffalo to build an incinerator,

Three quarters of a century have passed since the last of the canal boats passed along the Niagara stretch of the old Erie Canal. The sight of a mule driver at the end of a 250-foot towline pulling a boatload of grain or lumber while the steersman guided the boat with his "blade" or rudder are but a dimming memory to our oldest residents Though the canal continues to be used east of Tonawanda, it seldom sees commercial traffic any more. The Erie Canal has become primarily a recreational waterway in recent years. New lock gates have been installed at Lockport and the responsibility for maintenance and upgrading of the canal have been transferred to the New York State Thruway Authority.

Some links

http://www.history.rochester.edu/canal/bib...906/Chap13.html

http://www.buffaloah.com/h/erieC/percy/percy.html

http://www.archivaria.com/GdDhistory/Buffalo1849.jpg

Those models are a little ambitious, aren't they?.....there have never been that many cars on the Skyway.

:w00t: :w00t:

Can't hide the ugliness of the skyway. Wonder how many of those buildings will actually be built. Probably Bass Pro Shops and then...I'm almost imagining a bunch of empty lots then.

What I dread happening is they build all those million dollar buildings and then find it too dangerous to take down the skyway for fear of them getting damaged.

But, how safe would you feel going down there and walking past all the "caution falling debris" signs.

More pics of the west wall:

post-733-1243012676_thumbjpg

post-733-1243012684_thumbjpg

post-733-1243012692_thumbjpg

post-733-1243012701_thumbjpg

post-733-1243012709_thumbjpg

post-733-1243012717_thumbjpg

As for the models, I don't get it...are they painting the skyway orange? I mean they used some of the worst muted colors in those models. Why didn't they use more applicable colors? Does grass really look like that shade of green? Or are they planning on painting some concrete that shade?

I'm surprised they leave all that machinery so close to the wall as they're bringing it down.

I'm surprised they kept the Skyway open while the wall was brought down.

It's a good thing the driver of that white car wasn't drinking coffee while he was up there, or MickeyD's would have another lawsuit on its hands.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27221686@N08/...57619220404517/

Great pics jimiV!

This picture is a perfect example of why the skyway needs to go, as if most in that set weren't already. Just picture an uncluttered Buffalo skyline, where you can clearly see City Hall from the Commercial slip, along with all the other buildings between it and the HSBC building. There's just no reason why it shouldn't go.

Archived