*rumor* 08 - 09 3rd Jerseys

slapshot1619

Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres will bring back their original road jersey ? the blue design with the round "cross-sword" logo on the front, and the three gold stripes on the arms and the bottom of the jersey. It?s the uniform the Sabres? first GM/coach, George (Punch) Imlach, requested; a design similar to that which Imlach's Maple Leafs had from the 1967 playoffs through 1969-70. And, it?s the jersey Buffalo wore during road games from the beginning of the franchise in 1970-71 to the end of the 1995-96 season. Beginning in 1996-97, the Sabres switched to a black, red and white uniform, and completely redesigned their logo. Another redesign occurred prior to the 2006-07 campaign, with the team returning to its blue and gold color scheme.

Berger is a blogger on hockeybuzz and he supposedly acquired photos of all 18 3rd jerseys to be unveiled this season. He will not post the actual pics, hence the *rumor* in the title.

I, like a lot of you on this site, won't believe it till I see it. But, I like what I'm reading if its true. I also remember reading somewhere that it is in the current color scheme as well, with a small change to the original crest to include silver. I guess we'll have to wait till September to get the whole truth... unless of course it gets leaked like the slug did...

Link to Icethetics

Berger is a blogger on hockeybuzz and he supposedly acquired photos of all 18 3rd jerseys to be unveiled this season. He will not post the actual pics, hence the *rumor* in the title.

I, like a lot of you on this site, won't believe it till I see it. But, I like what I'm reading if its true. I also remember reading somewhere that it is in the current color scheme as well, with a small change to the original crest to include silver. I guess we'll have to wait till September to get the whole truth... unless of course it gets leaked like the slug did...

Link to Icethetics

If true, that's an admission that the slugo was a mistake or that they've heard the whining from the fans. Either way, it would be nice to see.

I thought it was common knowledge at this point, and fans like myself have come to tolerate it.

IDK, from a merchandising perspective, it was a smash hit. It's probably true that it didn't matter what the redesign was, the resurgence of the team in '05-07 did more to sell jerseys than what was on the jerseys. For long time fans, it was a big departure. But for the casual fan and new generations, it is what they know and accept. My sons don't have any emotional reaction to the original "throwback" jerseys. They recognize only the current design as the "true" Sabres logos.

someone from another board I a am a memeber of, sportslogos.net, a few other guys on here are on that board too... anyway, someone there got the official logo sheets from the NHL, he has confirmed connections so he is a good source... and he says that the "3rd" logo is the original with the updated colors, a small silver outline around everything, the buffalo has a red eye, and the sabre handles look to be tweaked very slightly

someone from another board I a am a memeber of, sportslogos.net, a few other guys on here are on that board too... anyway, someone there got the official logo sheets from the NHL, he has confirmed connections so he is a good source... and he says that the "3rd" logo is the original with the updated colors, a small silver outline around everything, the buffalo has a red eye, and the sabre handles look to be tweaked very slightly

That site is usually pretty reliable when it comes to this stuff ... If it is true, I have mixed feelings ... only because if they were going to "tweak" or "update" the original logo for it to be THE jersey, not the alternate, I would be all for it ... but since it is just the 3rd jersey, I wish they would not mess with it other than changing to navy blue ... on the other hand, if you look at photos from the 70s and early 80s, the damn logo changed a little every other year ... I mean, some years it looked like they had 6th graders cutting out the buffalo on the crest ... so changing it slightly is almost a tradition.

The bright side I can see here though is that if it looks good it will fly off the shelves and maybe eventually it WILL become THE jersey and the slug will be the alternate. Maybe.

If true, that's an admission that the slugo was a mistake or that they've heard the whining from the fans. Either way, it would be nice to see.

How would bringing in that jersey (similar to the 3rd jersey used before last season) as a 3rd jersey be an admission of a mistake?

They are talking about using it as the third jersey, not as the reguar jersey, its just the usual marketing ploy the NHL calls 3rd/alternate uniforms to get more merchandise money. They know people will buy the "slug" regular jersey, and now they add in another jersey that people will also want to bringing in more merchandise cash.

How would bringing in that jersey (similar to the 3rd jersey used before last season) as a 3rd jersey be an admission of a mistake?

Yeah, an admission would be bringing these in as the primary home jerseys and the Winter Classic jerseys as the primary away jerseys. That, unfortunately, is why we probably won't see it happen. Would they really admit to making a mistake? I keep hoping that the prospect of selling a whole new set of home and away jerseys, leading to a new influx of revenues, will be enough to trigger such a change.

Am I missing something? Isn't this old news?

Larry Quinn and the Sabres had said well prior to last season that they would return to the vintage blues in 2008-09 with updated colors to match the current slug jerseys.

Larry Quinn and the Sabres had said well prior to last season that they would return to the vintage blues in 2008-09 with updated colors to match the current slug jerseys.

I think most people tend to take LQ comments with a huge grain of salt, especially when you consider all of the misinformation he spewed around the time the slug logo leaked. I hope it's true since I'll finally be able to purchase some modern Sabres gear for myself, but I'll believe it when I see it.

He also said there'd be sabres on the front of the sweater two years ago. It is news that he's apparently told the truth, I guess.

Yeah, an admission would be bringing these in as the primary home jerseys and the Winter Classic jerseys as the primary away jerseys. That, unfortunately, is why we probably won't see it happen. Would they really admit to making a mistake? I keep hoping that the prospect of selling a whole new set of home and away jerseys, leading to a new influx of revenues, will be enough to trigger such a change.

They will never go back to the retro jerseys. Right now retro is in so they are capitalising on the extra revenue of the 3rd/retro jersey. All they will ever do is redesign the regular jersey every few years when they need the revenue boost and throw out a re-vamped third jersey

I think most people tend to take LQ comments with a huge grain of salt, especially when you consider all of the misinformation he spewed around the time the slug logo leaked. I hope it's true since I'll finally be able to purchase some modern Sabres gear for myself, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Misinformation? Isn't that the entire point of having an official unveiling? If he was going to give away every single detail of the jerseys ahead of time, the actual unveiling becomes pointless. They had to keep a cloud of uncertainty hovering around to boost interest in what was going on.

Misinformation? Isn't that the entire point of having an official unveiling? If he was going to give away every single detail of the jerseys ahead of time, the actual unveiling becomes pointless. They had to keep a cloud of uncertainty hovering around to boost interest in what was going on.

I do understand the marketing reasons for keeping a cloud of uncertainty. Looking back he would have been better served just giving no comment until the actual unveiling, but there was such a huge backlash against the leaked slug logo that he was forced to comment and in my estimation make some pretty disingenuous comments. I was talking more about where he said there were swords in the logo when it turned out there really weren't. Ultimately he could cover himself with that comment since they ended up bringing back the shoulder patch logo from the goathead unis. Also he said something about the slug not being the 'entire package' and that everyone would love it when they saw the whole uniform. In the end, that whole process was a major clusterf&%k.

I do understand the marketing reasons for keeping a cloud of uncertainty. Looking back he would have been better served just giving no comment until the actual unveiling, but there was such a huge backlash against the leaked slug logo that he was forced to comment and in my estimation make some pretty disingenuous comments. I was talking more about where he said there were swords in the logo when it turned out there really weren't. Ultimately he could cover himself with that comment since they ended up bringing back the shoulder patch logo from the goathead unis. Also he said something about the slug not being the 'entire package' and that everyone would love it when they saw the whole uniform. In the end, that whole process was a major clusterf&%k.

All-in-all true. And even with all of that, the Slug Logo was the top selling jersey in the NHL during 2006-2007. Incredible, isn't it?

I have no doubt that the new third jersey, if in fact has the old logo will again be the top selling jersey in the NHL. Say what you want about the bad personnel decisions, the terrible slug logo, the waterfront and anything else negative about Quinn as I tend to agree with them, but the Sabres have been a Sales/Merchandise machine since he's come back and from where they are now in terms of ticket sales and merchandise sales, they are a long way away from those dark times of bankruptcy. I'm sure a lot has to do with the product on the ice, but Sabres fans have proven to be extremely passionate.

Yeah, the wordmark really brought the whole thing together, didn't it? <_<

OK, in an effort to make this thread a little more fun ... I mentioned before how it looked like a 6th grader cut out the logo sometimes back in the day ... it's funny how teams really didn't worry about their logo very much ... check this out ... I found a bunch of pictures of game worn jerseys ... here is where I found them ... http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.asp...eywords=buffalo ... unfortunately they did not have every year, but they had enough to show that, while the most recent 3rd jersey and all the replicas sold recently have the original logo, the Sabres have actually RARELY worn that logo in their history ...

post-177-1217273041_thumbjpg

Just from the game-worn stuff sold on that site, by 1974 they had already messed with it and it kept changing ... it got really goofy from 1979-82, although at least it was somewhat consistent for those years ... it went back closer to the original in 1983, but the slashes above and below the buffalo kept moving all around and on some of them the buffalo itself is going up or down more than others ...

Can't show it to you here, but another weird thing I recently discovered ... I always assumed that the stripes on the bottom of the home whites were gold-blue-gold ... in fact, a couple years ago I dismissed the Mitchell & Ness jerseys because they were blue-gold-blue on the bottom ... but I boght the DVD of a Sabres-Rangers playoff game in 1978, and the Sabres jerseys are indeed blue-gold-blue that year on the bottom ... only time I have ever seen it that way, even in pictures, but apparently they did exist ... it was probably a screw up also, but they wore them.

Not sure what that means to anyone else but it killed my lunch hour pretty quick ...

Archived