*rumor* 08 - 09 3rd Jerseys

slapshot1619

It was the 80's - they were coked up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFSJyMRIyOI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFSJyMRIyOI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Berger is a blogger on hockeybuzz and he supposedly acquired photos of all 18 3rd jerseys to be unveiled this season. He will not post the actual pics, hence the *rumor* in the title.

I, like a lot of you on this site, won't believe it till I see it. But, I like what I'm reading if its true. I also remember reading somewhere that it is in the current color scheme as well, with a small change to the original crest to include silver. I guess we'll have to wait till September to get the whole truth... unless of course it gets leaked like the slug did...

Link to Icethetics

Of course there will be some silver in them. :blink: :blink: God forbid they leave a classic jersey alone. Quinny always has to get his personal touch on everything and we know how that worked out with the slug. <_<

Of course there will be some silver in them. :blink: :blink: God forbid they leave a classic jersey alone. Quinny always has to get his personal touch on everything and we know how that worked out with the slug. <_<

At least he's not suiting up and jumping into an alumni/Sabres Legends game...no, wait... :unsure:

Just the color change means its not a classic jersey. What's a little silver lining (as long as its just in the logo)?

Just the color change means its not a classic jersey. What's a little silver lining (as long as its just in the logo)?

But as BTP points out, not only has the logo changed pretty dramatically over the years, so have the blue and gold.

There is no classic Sabres jersey!

I am heartbroken. I feel like I just found out there's no Tooth Fairy.

But as BTP points out, not only has the logo changed pretty dramatically over the years, so have the blue and gold.

There is no classic Sabres jersey!

I am heartbroken. I feel like I just found out there's no Tooth Fairy.

hey hey hey that is NOT what I was trying to say ;) Yeah, it changed, but other than the "drunk" buffalo from 79-82, I don't think any of it was intentional ... Most of those "changes" were a function of the time ... it wasn't just the Sabres ... watch the vintage games on NHL network ... the Flyers won stanley cups in sweaters that look like they were bought at goodwill ... one guy's logo is on his chest, the next guy's is down by his belly ... the numbers don't really fit inside the stripes on the sleeves ... the typeface on the back does not match the arm numbers ... plus they were always messing with new materials, that's why they were different colors ... if you look at that link I posted and click on the game worn jersey links, some are mesh way back in the late 70s ... then they switched back to the knit and had those through the 90s ... probably because they were more durable and they could use them over and over ...

point is, the Sabres had A logo, and it was THE logo ... they couldn't replicate it right on the actual jersey for some reason, but everywher else - programs, hockey cards, signage, etc - it was THE logo ... and I wish it still was. If they can get it right and use it on a "classic" jersey like they did in 06-07, they should.

There is a tooth fairy ... she just can't always make it to everyone's house, so someone has to help her out. Doesn't mean she (or the concept of her) does not exist. If they stay true to the concept of THE logo, a small tweak is OK I guess ..

OK, in an effort to make this thread a little more fun ... I mentioned before how it looked like a 6th grader cut out the logo sometimes back in the day ... it's funny how teams really didn't worry about their logo very much ... check this out ... I found a bunch of pictures of game worn jerseys ... here is where I found them ... http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.asp...eywords=buffalo ... unfortunately they did not have every year, but they had enough to show that, while the most recent 3rd jersey and all the replicas sold recently have the original logo, the Sabres have actually RARELY worn that logo in their history ...

post-177-1217273041_thumbjpg

Just from the game-worn stuff sold on that site, by 1974 they had already messed with it and it kept changing ... it got really goofy from 1979-82, although at least it was somewhat consistent for those years ... it went back closer to the original in 1983, but the slashes above and below the buffalo kept moving all around and on some of them the buffalo itself is going up or down more than others ...

Can't show it to you here, but another weird thing I recently discovered ... I always assumed that the stripes on the bottom of the home whites were gold-blue-gold ... in fact, a couple years ago I dismissed the Mitchell & Ness jerseys because they were blue-gold-blue on the bottom ... but I boght the DVD of a Sabres-Rangers playoff game in 1978, and the Sabres jerseys are indeed blue-gold-blue that year on the bottom ... only time I have ever seen it that way, even in pictures, but apparently they did exist ... it was probably a screw up also, but they wore them.

Not sure what that means to anyone else but it killed my lunch hour pretty quick ...

You are right on about '79-82. I never noticed it before even though that would have been the same time I got my first sabres jersey ever. It looks like it is smiling and the back legs are in atrophy. They are all floppy. I'm glad they made the switch to a more serious looking Buffalo after that.

I like the old logo, but one thing that always bothered me about it were those little slash marks above and below it. Are they supposed to be signifying foward movement by the Buffalo or are they supposed to be sabre slashes Zorro style? Either way, they don't bring much to the overall logo. I guess if I was going to change anything to the original style, that would be it. Take those out and just have the nifty Buffalo profile between the crossed swords.

The slashes are definitely there to depict motion.

BTP, have you looked at other team's jerseys too? I'd be willing to bet that more than just the Sabres had those issues over that time period. It probably has a lot more to do with production quality than it does with the teams paying attention to what is happening.

Archived