Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Our company has a charity drive and they make it clear you don't have to donate.  One year I was in charge of the the drive for my department (I think it was about a hundred people).  I went to each group's group meeting and made my pitch.  The only thing I asked everyone was that they make a decision; if you don't want to donate, that's fine, but don't say, "I'll think about it" and not take action.  So I asked people to email me when they'd made their inputs (or decided not to), and for the 4 or 5 people that didn't email me, I went around to them and asked them and eventually each person said they'd decided.  I never asked what their decision was.  Our group went from I think 40% to 92% participation, which won me some modest award as most improved area.  I didn't care if they participated or not, my only point is apathy was not an option.

THIS.  I am a charitable individual who donates both cash and goods throughout the year.  I often give folks who wait at intersections $ if I happen to have cash and they do look to be in need.  But I really hate it when someone tries to guilt me into donating someplace.  The guy you're describing may well be a cheap POS, or he may be someone like Boyes or myself who resents being coerced into it just so someone else can say they met their quota.

Especially if - and i'm playing devil's advocate here - the goal is just to get Wing's company up to 100% donation level. Should those folks that donated $1 to get the company off their back really be counted as part of the 100% goal? The ones that are only donating a dollar aren't really doing much to contribute a meaningful amount to help said charity, and are probably only doing it to avoid being shamed as a non-participant. 

/soapbox. Sorry but "forced charity" is one of my big hot button topics. Let everyone decide what cause is important to them and donate (or don't) accordingly. 

Our company has a charity drive and they make it clear you don't have to donate.  One year I was in charge of the the drive for my department (I think it was about a hundred people).  I went to each group's group meeting and made my pitch.  The only thing I asked everyone was that they make a decision; if you don't want to donate, that's fine, but don't say, "I'll think about it" and not take action.  So I asked people to email me when they'd made their inputs (or decided not to), and for the 4 or 5 people that didn't email me, I went around to them and asked them and eventually each person said they'd decided.  I never asked what their decision was.  Our group went from I think 40% to 92% participation, which won me some modest award as most improved area.  I didn't care if they participated or not, my only point is apathy was not an option.

This is a much better way to go about it.  I'm sure there are people who want and/or mean to donate and simply forget, and your method probably helps with that.

Especially if - and i'm playing devil's advocate here - the goal is just to get Wing's company up to 100% donation level. Should those folks that donated $1 to get the company off their back really be counted as part of the 100% goal? The ones that are only donating a dollar aren't really doing much to contribute a meaningful amount to help said charity, and are probably only doing it to avoid being shamed as a non-participant. 

/soapbox. Sorry but "forced charity" is one of my big hot button topics. Let everyone decide what cause is important to them and donate (or don't) accordingly. 

YES!

Right - the company has been preaching 100% participation for as long as I've been there. I think the "coercion" comes in where every other department achieves 100%, so we get pushed to do the same.

I'm not trying to say we're doing "forced donations" (though I admit it's pretty close to that), but if 849 of the 850 people in the company donate, why not bug the guy to throw in a buck?

I'm trying to figure out what to do about health insurance. Do I use COBRA? Do I have to apply? Can I stay on what I've got through work but just pay more as I won't be an employee after tomorrow? Should I go on Obamacare (which today's teh deadline for 2017?) Is that the same as COBRA? I have no clue.

We have no HR. I asked and basically got a shoulder shrug. I don't know what I'm doing. Panicking. 

I'm trying to figure out what to do about health insurance. Do I use COBRA? Do I have to apply? Can I stay on what I've got through work but just pay more as I won't be an employee after tomorrow? Should I go on Obamacare (which today's teh deadline for 2017?) Is that the same as COBRA? I have no clue.

We have no HR. I asked and basically got a shoulder shrug. I don't know what I'm doing. Panicking. 

COBRA is what you file to stay on your work health insurance. You should be filling that out ASAP to stay on, or else get insurance through the NY health insurance exchange. I thought you were already taking care of this. 

COBRA FAQ: https://www.dol.gov/sites/default/files/ebsa/about-ebsa/our-activities/resource-center/faqs/cobra-continuation-health-coverage-consumer.pdf

You typically have 60 days to apply for COBRA and you should have information from your current plan provider about how to apply for COBRA. You should have received a packet when your health insurance plan was renewed for the year last January that explains all this. 

Other option that might be more/less expensive is the exchange (obamacare)

NY Health Insurance Exchange: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

Edited by d4rksabre

COBRA is what you file to stay on your work health insurance. You should be filling that out ASAP to stay on, or else get insurance through the NY health insurance exchange. I thought you were already taking care of this. 

COBRA FAQ: https://www.dol.gov/sites/default/files/ebsa/about-ebsa/our-activities/resource-center/faqs/cobra-continuation-health-coverage-consumer.pdf

You typically have 60 days to apply for COBRA and you should have information from your current plan provider about how to apply for COBRA. You should have received a packet when your health insurance plan was renewed for the year last January that explains all this. 

Other option that might be more/less expensive is the exchange (obamacare)

NY Health Insurance Exchange: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

Dude I had no freakin' clue. No one explains this . I thought I couldn't do it until I had my LLC figured out or whatever. I was under the impression I'd get some sort of barebones explanation somewhere as to if and when my current stuff ends. 

I have no idea what I'm doing. I'v ebeen trying to figure it all out all afternoon and dear god it's all terribly designed and confusing. And Im' going on my third day of like 3 hours of sleep and I'm not comprehending anthing.

Dude I had no freakin' clue. No one explains this ######. I thought I couldn't do it until I had my LLC figured out or whatever. I was under the impression I'd get some sort of barebones explanation somewhere as to if and when my current stuff ends. 

I have no ###### idea what I'm doing. I'v ebeen trying to figure it all out all afternoon and dear god it's all terribly designed and confusing. And Im' going on my third day of like 3 hours of sleep and I'm not comprehending anthing.

I was under the impression this was part of the stuff you spoke with your parents about when you were home over Thanksgiving. If you want I can have you talk to my dad, he should be able to better explain everything to you. 

I feel like you two have cell phones and could have had literally the same conversation there as opposed to SabreSpace lol :P

Love it. Didn't they actually have a little spat recently? It's so vicarious. Standing outside windows in your trench coat is so 2012.

Forgot the complaint I was gonna put here:  I liked the politics thread (most of the time), and I have no intention of going over to TBD.  Oh well.  It had a good run!

You might want to check out Rakii's new draft thread, for no apparent reason. Just sayin'. ;)

My two year old's bed time has creeped later and later and it gotten to the point where he's awake until 1130. This gives me no down time, very limited sleep and and just an overall miserable quality of life.

I'm sure I'm partially to blame but I think my wife is the main culprit. I think he naps longer than she is telling me giving him the energy to stay up late.

I've read toddlers are supposed to nap 1-2 hours and be awake by 3 pm. From best I can tell, he's sleeping 1-4 or longer. I've had the discussions with my wife but she is selfish, and not in like a normal way but in like I don't care about how much anything I do ruins other people's lives, whatever I need is more important and everyone around me will suffer indefinitely.

I'm running out of patience and ideas...

Waiting until Cody falls asleep to do the driveway, as my wife, who has been sleeping for an hour and already took a nap today.

Edited by inkman

I had a nerve block for my ankle surgery. It was awesome. They did an incredible job, hit a giant nerve in the outside of my knee, and numbed the out of it. I could hardly feel my shin, toes, and most importantly, ankle for a full 34 hours.

It wore off. Holy hell, it wore off.

So, I got my settlement money from VW right? I'm plodding around in this giant 20 year old station wagon, and while I like it, it's very obviously not a great candidate for a daily driver. I want to relegate it to "weekend fun car" ASAP, not only for lower insurance purposes, but so I don't kill it before I get my money's worth out of it.  :ph34r: 

The big dilemma for me, is that I really can't decide what I want to get as a daily driver. I'm on the fence with WK Jeep Grand Cherokees, 4th Gen Toyota 4Runners/Tacomas, and full size crew cab pickups. I really don't need a big truck, but I have a hard time not looking at them. And although I think the Toyotas are somewhat boring, they're infinitely more dependable than the Jeeps (although the Jeeps are cheaper). I'm also not in love with any of the options. 

I found a not tan/silver/beige 4Runner locally that I like because it's not quite as boring. But it's a little more money than I want to spend. I'm debating just biting the bullet and calling the dealer on it today. I hate that I feel like I'm picking a car based mostly on color, but...

I had a nerve block for my ankle surgery. It was awesome. They did an incredible job, hit a giant nerve in the outside of my knee, and numbed the ###### out of it. I could hardly feel my shin, toes, and most importantly, ankle for a full 34 hours.

It wore off. Holy hell, it wore off.

Oh man, I'm sorry. I hope they gave you some additional meds to pull through the worst of it. And I hope the rest of the surgery went well!