Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I have more respect for people who are born with Down's Syndrome along with their families than I do for the retards this article exposes. It's no wonder they help to make things more expensive to buy! :angry:

Oh, and while I'm on a roll, here's one thing I have to say to the "Occupy" movement. Since some of you aren't really looking for work but are using it as an excuse for various other nefarious reasons, I'll cut to the chase: if you don't work, you don't eat. Plain and simple.

Good idea on the thread, shrader. I was wondering what we did last year for Complaints on Thanksgiving?

Anyhow, my complaint:

I made the drive up to WNY today. I was PLANNING on going to the game, due to arrive at the arena 5pm, although I did not have a ticket. Well, my uncle ended up selling all his tickets because they were going for good money, and I decided not to try to scalp for the same reason. So, I did not end up going to the game. <_<

BUT, I made it back to Rochester in time for dinner with my family and to watch the game with them. :)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! (if I don't get back on here to post again)

This sinus thing I have going right now is killing me. Left nostril blocked clears then the right one gets stuffed. This morning I had finally had enough. I took a tylenol. Except i inadvertantly took the PM side of the AM/PM pack. I was knocked out for the most of this morning. Its hard to work when you are all doped up. Needless to say no work got done.

Just blew Pepsi all over my iPhone.

Edit: early release!

Just noticed the complaint thread has reached 300 pages(3-1/2 years later).

Thanks to all who like to vent! :nana:

Awesome stats. 300 pages and 6000 replies? Damn we're a buncha sourpusses who like to whine.

I have a love/hate releationship with technology. Productivity compared to a couple decades ago must be astounding. My current job is a blend of Strategy/Finance, and I can't imagine doing it without the data sources at my fingertips and the power of Excel/Access/etc to spit out analysis. Although I would imagine it was a lot easier to BS or go on a gut feel back then.

Now the bad...I'm burning vacation so I don't lose it at the end of the year, but I end up working anyway. I don't remember how I functioned without a smart phone or laptop, but it's not always a good thing that someone has access to you 24/7....and they know it, so you can't really provide a plausible excuse for not handling questions/isues. Plus, I'm sort of in that middle ground where I have responsibility, but I'm not important enough to ignore people. Our leadership team is always preaching that vacation is for down time, but it's just fluff.

I have a love/hate releationship with technology. Productivity compared to a couple decades ago must be astounding. My current job is a blend of Strategy/Finance, and I can't imagine doing it without the data sources at my fingertips and the power of Excel/Access/etc to spit out analysis. Although I would imagine it was a lot easier to BS or go on a gut feel back then.

Now the bad...I'm burning vacation so I don't lose it at the end of the year, but I end up working anyway. I don't remember how I functioned without a smart phone or laptop, but t's not always a good thing that someone has access to you 24/7....and they know it, so you can't really provide a plausible excuse for not handling questions/isues. Plus, I'm sort of in that middle ground where I have responsibility, but I'm not important enough to ignore people. Our leadership team is always preaching that vacation is for down time, but it's just fluff.

Tell 'em you'll be in a hockey rink for the next x hours. They are known to be notoriously bad for cell phone reception.

The fact they probably don't know what one is based on where you claim to be from is a bonus. ;)

Congress. Actually, just about anything government-related. I'm beginning to think that with the internet as it is, we restrict Congress to drafting legislation and then letting the general public vote on it online. I don't think things would be any worse and might even get better.....

New law: Free flat screen TVs to everyone with yearly upgrades. Oh, and we'll be taking away all your rights while we're at it. I bet it would pass a popular vote.

If you do own the house, is there terrain higher up than your house causing water to run down the hill towards your house? If so, install a french drain. It will significantly reduce the amount of water that your drainage system (perimeter drain, sump system, etc) has to deal with.

I think they call those freedom drains now.

So you're saying I have to downgrade to a 52"? :unsure: And 3D tv's are for hipsters. I don't see the point...

No, you can use the 52" in your bathroom.

As for 3D, I spent a little time using a 3D tv for the first time over the weekend. Interesting effect on games, but not really worth it for movies. I'll hold off on it for awhile yet. But you know 3D is the buzzword of the year.

1) F'n tired. My dog, whom I love dearly, is 16 1/2 and on occasion will start going to the bathroom in his sleep (and he sleeps on my bed). That woke me up at 4:30 this morning.

2) I'm taking a job in a different department starting in January, partially because funding his low in my current lab but also because I'm ready for a change. That in itself is sweet, but after the new boss and I went back and forth for a few weeks and came to an agreement on a salary that is appropriate and affordable for him, HR has thoroughly mucked everything up and decided I need to be hired not only at a lower salary, but also into the wrong job title which will likely make it more difficult to get promoted later. They actually had the nerve to tell my new boss he had no authority to offer me a position and to discuss salary with me. Anyone familiar with how academic research labs are funded will understand just how infuriating that mentality is.

1) F'n tired. My dog, whom I love dearly, is 16 1/2 and on occasion will start going to the bathroom in his sleep (and he sleeps on my bed). That woke me up at 4:30 this morning.

2) I'm taking a job in a different department starting in January, partially because funding his low in my current lab but also because I'm ready for a change. That in itself is sweet, but after the new boss and I went back and forth for a few weeks and came to an agreement on a salary that is appropriate and affordable for him, HR has thoroughly mucked everything up and decided I need to be hired not only at a lower salary, but also into the wrong job title which will likely make it more difficult to get promoted later. They actually had the nerve to tell my new boss he had no authority to offer me a position and to discuss salary with me. Anyone familiar with how academic research labs are funded will understand just how infuriating that mentality is.

After my mom finished her Ph.D at Albany Med, she went to work at a lab at Cornell, and they pulled the same sh!t saying that the head of the lab had no right to negotiate with her as well. I thought it was dumb. She ended up going to industry after a few years and out of academic labs. Pay was slightly better for her anyways.

As for me, I was given a project here at work: to propose all the necessary items for the new conference room (projector, screen, power and internet at the table, etc), since the person who had been working on it just stopped. well, it took him 2 weeks and an email from the president of the company to email me all the previous info he had, and to tell me he already ordered a projector (crappy one too). So now I'm working around/fixing his mess, and trying not to snap on him for being a complete d!ck about everything. and to make matters better, the president asked me to move up my timetable, and have the proposal to him by Monday...I haven't even gotten all the quotes back yet :doh:

1. Sorry to hear read it. Our dog'll be 17 very soon and not only does he whizz in his sleep, if we don't get him outside (when awake) every 3 or so hours, he's taken to 'crop dusting' in the basement. So far, a 15' line seems to be his record. :censored:

We're pretty sure that he's part cat as he has been near death at least 4 times including this past weekend when my parents were watching the house so the wife and I could get out for the anniversary and he got hit by a car. It must have been an SUV or large truck, because the vehicle drove over him and he walked away with a scratch near his eye. Had the neighbor not witnessed it, we'd've never known he had any issue but would have been curious about the scratch.

2. Sorry to hear read about that one as well. Good luck with getting that one resolved. One bit of advice is: if the resolution to the pissing match between your soon to be boss and HR/the rest of the department is creating a new title / job for you - be VERY leery. It's a great way to have hidden gremlins working against you. HR/administrative types are a bit pedantic and if their lines are crossed they'll become pernicious in industry; my experience has been that they're far worse in academia.