Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I have been sick as a dog with a cold and a cough that has kept me from sleeping for two nights running. I am so sick(no pun intended) of laying around the house that I came into work for a few hours today.

PS Cough is lingering, cold is pretty much gone.

I feel your pain. We visited my parents in Niagara Falls for most of Christmas week, and of course my father was sick with a head cold/upper respiratory infection. He was nice enough to pass that on to me - and of course I feel fine until I get home. The last 2-3 days I have felt like crap.

My complaint a few weeks ago was "insurance companies." It still is. I thought I would elaborate a bit.

My mom -- 81 -- has non healing wounds on her foot (poor circulation, diabetes and we just found out her one wound is infected, even the underlying bone). Hyperbaric oxygen treatments are proven to help these wounds heal. You get in a chamber and breathe a high concentration of oxygen for a couple of hours, but you have to do it two hours every day for six weeks.

The closest center to us is only a half hour away, but... wait for it... it's out of her network. The closest in network place is over two hours away. Not a long trip really, but when you have to do it every day, it's a terrible burden, especially if you can't tolerate even short trips due to leg problems. And even though gas is down, it still adds up.

Out of network, her insurance will pay 80%, which sounds OK, but when you consider how expensive they are, and how many treatments she needs, it's just impossible for her.

We've heard insurance companies will, in situations like ours, cover out of network providers at 100%. So far we can't even get the insurance company to acknowledge that this is possible. It should make sense from their point of view. For what would be a very small payout (to them), they can avoid all kinds of expensive events in the future -- hospitalizations, surgeries, very likely an amputation, in home health care, physical therapy, maybe prosthetics and on and on.

The company does everything in its power to put enough roadblocks in the way so that you give up. I've talked to 15 different reps. When I ask for the rep I spoke to last time, they say they can't connect me. I have to start all over. I get phone numbers to call that are completely bogus. They routinely put me on hold for 10 minutes. I swear it's to get me to hang up. 15 different reps, I bet I've had 10 different stories about how things are supposed to work. Appeal? There's nothing to appeal because nothing has been denied.

The doctor's office gets the same treatment. I asked the girl how older folks manage all this when no one is working on their behalf. She said, bluntly, "they don't."

Oh well, just a rant to make me feel better. I thought possibly someone here maybe works in health care or had a success story in dealing with insurance companies and might have some advice.

I really hope no one else on here is dealing with family medical problems. I know a lot of you are. My thoughts are with you -- and, God, I hope no one's child is seriously ill. As frustrating as the Sabres have been, at least they're a good diversion.

PA, I don't want to speak for him and don't know if he can help, but you could try PM'ing my brother (MarkAF43) with any questions you might have about the insurance. He does work for a major health insurance co. and might know some ins and outs or tricks that may help.

Hopefully he doesn't get too ticked I suggested you contact him... ;)

People who still pay for small everyday purchases with checks are MORONS. They are followed closely by people who use their debit/credit card for everything. A cup of coffee from tim hortons...credit card, a loaf of bread at wilson farms...credit card, a bottle of shampoo from rite-aid...credit card, etc....

People who still pay for small everyday purchases with checks are MORONS. They are followed closely by people who use their debit/credit card for everything. A cup of coffee from tim hortons...credit card, a loaf of bread at wilson farms...credit card, a bottle of shampoo from rite-aid...credit card, etc....

I actually use my debit card more often than cash. It's quicker than cash most of the time, unless there is a problem swiping it or something.

I have a few today.

First. It realy bothers me that ESPN gave the Bite Me game so much time when they usually never even cover hockey. Just another example for the baseball elitists over there to show everyone what a Boorish sport hockey is.

Next. Why can't companies just say "Super Bowl" in their commercials. I know that there are copyright issues, but who cares. It's all free advertising for the NFL anyway so why do they care. It just sounds stupid to me when they have to say "Big game" in their ads when we all know they mean "Super Bowl".

And finally. The Canadians are 2nd in the NHL for power play opportunities. Gee, is the league trying to help them out in their 100th year?...hmmm

Ice is annoying. I live on the side of a hill, so no matter which direction I go, I have to walk up or down a slope. Well last night I decided to head to the bar about 3 blocks down the street with a friend without realizing that the sidewalks had completely iced over. That was the longest 3 block walk ever. I had to catch her a few times. I'm not sure if I should be complaining about the walk itself or the fact that she couldn't have slipped a few more times. So there's my first complaint of the day, not knowing exactly what to complain about.

I actually use my debit card more often than cash. It's quicker than cash most of the time, unless there is a problem swiping it or something.

Same here. I hate having to run to an ATM every three days. I rarely carry more than $20 in cash.

Ice is annoying. I live on the side of a hill, so no matter which direction I go, I have to walk up or down a slope. Well last night I decided to head to the bar about 3 blocks down the street with a friend without realizing that the sidewalks had completely iced over. That was the longest 3 block walk ever. I had to catch her a few times. I'm not sure if I should be complaining about the walk itself or the fact that she couldn't have slipped a few more times. So there's my first complaint of the day, not knowing exactly what to complain about.

My apartment complex is in the middle of two big hills, and our parking lot is on a slight incline. We had some ice over the last two days, and yesterday I got a call from the apartment office asking me to "move my truck into a spot so they can plow." I had no idea what they were talking about, until I went down to check my truck and found the area where I had parked was one big sheet of ice (at the top of the slight incline) which let my truck slide backwards out of its spot and into the middle of the aisle.

Same here. I hate having to run to an ATM every three days. I rarely carry more than $20 in cash.

I've got it down to a science where I hit the ATM once a week and get enough cash for that week (which usually isn't much, anyway). The only thing I don't like about using a debit card is noting every transaction in my check register, but it's quite convenient to not have to remember my checkbook when shopping.

My complaint....college bowl games. I love the season and watching a lot of these games, but I was done with them after New Year's Day. I hate how the NC$$ stretches them out so much - either finish them on New Year's Day or by Jan 3rd.

While I am very grateful to still have a job, I will voice a complaint here that layoffs have left us with half the people to do the same amount of work ... and in some cases they laid off the wrong damn people.

Also, no offense SwampD, but while I am complaining, Super Bowl is two words ....

I hate having to fix posts.

My apartment complex is in the middle of two big hills, and our parking lot is on a slight incline. We had some ice over the last two days, and yesterday I got a call from the apartment office asking me to "move my truck into a spot so they can plow." I had no idea what they were talking about, until I went down to check my truck and found the area where I had parked was one big sheet of ice (at the top of the slight incline) which let my truck slide backwards out of its spot and into the middle of the aisle.

I had the treadmill effect going a couple times while walking back up the hill yesterday. That part is fun as long as you don't do something stupid. But really, I pretty much hate ice unless there's a thin piece of steel under my feet.

Couple C's for me today;

1.) People who put their topic in complaint Thursdays thread rather than start another off topic thread.... :rolleyes:

2.) I can't believe I waited 25 years to finally see AC/DC live. Went to the show last night here in Daberg and that was one awesome kick a$$ show. It was great, those guy's are older than me and still kick out some serious jams. Best show I've seen in sometime. If you haven't already seen them, do it before the band is in the retirement home.

It snowed for like a half hour this morning and everyone #%^$#! their pants. I saw three cars in ditches within 3 miles of RIT. Does this have to happen EVERY DAMN TIME IT SNOWS.

Reminds me of that commercial for teenage drivers. "With new SLOW DOWN, you don't have to [look like a damn idiot]!"

Slow walkers....when I'm at the office and I get up from my desk to use the restroom or pick something up from the printer or (most maddening) when I'm walking to a meeting, there's almost always someone in front of me who just walks painfully slow. It's not like I'm sprinting or going at one of those run-walk speeds, I'm just walking at a normal pace and I can't get around this person.

Get the H out of the way!!!

Now that we're on to traffic...The Four Way Stop. It's just not that difficult. The first to stop - the first to go. If two people stop at the same time, the one on the right goes first. It's that easy.

Every day, on the way to and from work, I hit this intersection that is quite busy and there is always some dope gummin' up the works.

Yes, I'm complaining about the nine extra seconds it takes me to get home from work.