Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

I am not sure if he is stale or not, But I love Naslund as a #1 center/captain :wub: I think its a good price, but for the wrong team. Rags as usual, signing a team full of captains; all they need is Sundin now. If I was the fantasy GM; Naslund and Bouwmeester would on the Sabres today, just to let you know. :lol:

Just a point of clarification. I don't think Naslund has ever played any center, has he?

I didn't know where to post this, but i just heard of a rumor on various Ottawa fan forums that has Bouwmeester heading to Ottawa.... for Vermette, Neil, prospect and a 09 first round pick.

How we can not out do this bid is beyond me, if true. Stafford, Sekera, MacArthur and first round pick.

Vermette has more value than Stafford and is signed beyond this season. No one you are offering brings an edge like Neil .... the prospect might be more highly regarded than MacArthur ... oh, and no way DR gives up that much young talent for one guy ... almost forgot that ... not that he shouldn't, but he won't ...

Vermette has more value than Stafford and is signed beyond this season. No one you are offering brings an edge like Neil .... the prospect might be more highly regarded than MacArthur ... oh, and no way DR gives up that much young talent for one guy ... almost forgot that ... not that he shouldn't, but he won't ...

Vermette is a RFA.

I didn't know where to post this, but i just heard of a rumor on various Ottawa fan forums that has Bouwmeester heading to Ottawa.... for Vermette, Neil, prospect and a 09 first round pick.

How we can not out do this bid is beyond me, if true. Stafford, Sekera, MacArthur and first round pick.

I believe its a Hockeybuzz Eklund rumor, it was posted on here today too

TSN reports:

Todd Bertuzzi is coming back to Canada.

The Calgary Flames have announced they have signed the power forward to a one-year contract.

"Todd is a proven scorer with the ability to play both wings," said Flames GM Darryl Sutter in a statement. "He expressed to us that he wanted to play in Canada and that desire along with signing him to a one year deal was important to our philosophy. He wanted to play on a good team and it fit our money. Additionally, our captain, Jarome Iginla, was a strong supporter of Todd and wanted him on our team."

Dammit, I wanted him. :chris:

Vermette is a RFA.

Even more relevant, he filed for arbitration making him Kevin-Lowe-proof..

Haven't seen it anywhere else, so I'll throw it in here.. From the Ottawa Sun:

"The 14 other NHLers to file for arbitration yesterday were Florida's Jay Bouwmeester, Boston's Dennis Wideman, Carolina's Chad LaRose, Colorado's Marek Svatos, the Islanders' Sean Bergenheim, the Rangers' Dan Fritsche, St. Louis' Jay McClement, San Jose's Marcel Goc, Detroit's Valtteri Filppula, Nashville's Ville Koistinen, Washington's Brooks Laich and Shaone Morrisonn and Minnesota's Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Stephane Veilleux."

6:34PM Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Darcy Hordichuk to a two-year deal

I know this is late, and call me crazy for saying this, but I wish that we'd gotten Hordichuk. I don't think we've had a player like him since Curtis Brown. Sort of reminds me of Stu Grimson in some ways.

On top of that, he's a much better fighter than Andrew Peters (and I'm pretty sure that DeLuca67 can agree with me on this one).

per TSN:

The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed centre Michael Peca to a one-year, $1.315 million contract.

Ray Emery has decided to take his show on the road. The former Ottawa Senator netminder has agreed to a one-year deal with Atlant Mytishchi of the new Russian Continental Hockey League. The deal is reportedly worth in excess of $2 million plus bonuses

Witt signed a two year extension worth 6 mil. Not bad for a slow blueliner in his mid 30's who was supposed to be shown the door in the era of the speedy new NHL. :doh:

You have to admire Witt. He goes out there and donates his body because it is the only way he knows how to play.

Sad to see that body go to waste on that floundering organization.

EDITED:

re: chz's shout-out of peca re-upping with the bj's for 1/1.3. (linkel log.)

i had to go and double-check this tidbit from the report: "The 5-11, 190-pound Toronto native appeared in 65 games last season for the Blue Jackets and was the club's third leading scorer with nine goals and 25 assists."

i think i appreciate that hitch plays it tight to the vest, but the fact that 34 points was good for third on the team is just pitiful. i'm fairly certain that 34 points wouldn't have cracked our top 10 last year.

EDITED:

re: chz's shout-out of peca re-upping with the bj's for 1/1.3. (linkel log.)

i had to go and double-check this tidbit from the report: "The 5-11, 190-pound Toronto native appeared in 65 games last season for the Blue Jackets and was the club's third leading scorer with nine goals and 25 assists."

i think i appreciate that hitch plays it tight to the vest, but the fact that 34 points was good for third on the team is just pitiful. i'm fairly certain that 34 points wouldn't have cracked our top 10 last year.

I'm surprised that they didn't sign Yelle.

His 12 points last year might put him 5th or 6th. :lol:

Actually I'm surprised Yelle is still on the market, he's cheap.

would he fill any need here? he does play center - but i reckon we have that slot filled by goose (mair?).

I kind of like him as an option for the Sabres because of his experience and his size ... he's not GREAT on draws but still to have another big checking center to put on the ice late in games with Goose for defensive zone draws is attractive ... put it this way, I'd rather have Yelle in the lineup as the 4th line center with Mair on his wing than Mair centering a line with Peters in the lineup.

EDIT: Looking at his stats, he averaged between 14-16 minutes of ice time his whole career until last season where it dropped to just under 12 ... maybe hsi game has declined more than I think, I admit I did not watch him every night this past season, obviously. maybe he was not a Keenan guy, but maybe it's more than that since no one seems to be biting ...

Archived