Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

EDITED:

re: chz's shout-out of peca re-upping with the bj's for 1/1.3. (linkel log.)

i had to go and double-check this tidbit from the report: "The 5-11, 190-pound Toronto native appeared in 65 games last season for the Blue Jackets and was the club's third leading scorer with nine goals and 25 assists."

i think i appreciate that hitch plays it tight to the vest, but the fact that 34 points was good for third on the team is just pitiful. i'm fairly certain that 34 points wouldn't have cracked our top 10 last year.

I saw that, too, and thought that was pretty pathetic.

He would have been exactly 10th for points on the Sabres, two points above Spacek. For reference, our third highest scorer (points) was Vanek with 64. His 9 goals would have tied him for 11th with Spacek.

That said, if Darcy doesn't see fit to add a true top-two-line center (you know, the kind that would cost $4M+), then I would take Peca at $1.3M to keep my options open. Sure, he's lost a step, but he could cover a top line when Connolly is injured (I'd put Hecht-Peca-Pominville out against anyone's top line and challenge them to score) and is very good on faceoffs. The rest of the time you could have Mair-Peca-Kaleta as your energy line.

I saw that, too, and thought that was pretty pathetic.

He would have been exactly 10th for points on the Sabres, two points above Spacek. For reference, our third highest scorer (points) was Vanek with 64. His 9 goals would have tied him for 11th with Spacek.

That said, if Darcy doesn't see fit to add a true top-two-line center (you know, the kind that would cost $4M+), then I would take Peca at $1.3M to keep my options open. Sure, he's lost a step, but he could cover a top line when Connolly is injured (I'd put Hecht-Peca-Pominville out against anyone's top line and challenge them to score) and is very good on faceoffs. The rest of the time you could have Mair-Peca-Kaleta as your energy line.

So here's something interesting. With the Caps re-signing Federov, I think Nylander may be available via the trade market. Would you guys be interested in Nylander centering the Hecht/Pominville line? I think I would be.

The other one that interests me is Steve Reinprecht now that Jokinen is in Phoenix. It seems like they have a ton of talent in Phoenix with Hanzal, Mueller, etc. that maybe Reinprecht becomes expendable in the trade market. I would not mind Reinprecht here with his speed and creativity. I think he'd excel in Buffalo.

Also, with all of the changes in Tampa, it looks like Gratton has become available. I would not mind signing him for dirt cheap to play on the fourth line with Gaustad centering Hecht and Pominville. That line was pretty solid together when they played together last year.

I think one more option might be Todd Marchant as Anaheim is looking to cut cap space as they are over the cap right now. I would not mind him playing on the fourth line either as a centerman and moving Goose up. I think there are a lot of guys to be had that are affordable who will improve Buffalo's depth down the middle, but I question whether Darcy will do it.

Right now, I think Darcy will try and get one more defenseman and that will be it for the rest of the offseason beside re-signing Paille, MacArthur, and extending Miller and Pominville. Just my take.

So here's something interesting. With the Caps re-signing Federov, I think Nylander may be available via the trade market. Would you guys be interested in Nylander centering the Hecht/Pominville line? I think I would be.

I wouldn't mind him, but it's not going to happen with the money he makes ($4.8 cap hit, $5.5 in real money next two seasons)

The other one that interests me is Steve Reinprecht now that Jokinen is in Phoenix. It seems like they have a ton of talent in Phoenix with Hanzal, Mueller, etc. that maybe Reinprecht becomes expendable in the trade market. I would not mind Reinprecht here with his speed and creativity. I think he'd excel in Buffalo.

not a bad idea

Also, with all of the changes in Tampa, it looks like Gratton has become available. I would not mind signing him for dirt cheap to play on the fourth line with Gaustad centering Hecht and Pominville. That line was pretty solid together when they played together last year.

No. No no no no no no no no no. Please, No. ;)

Ladies and gents, I present to you the official IMO Best Available:

Top 15 Forwards (leaving out Selanne, Forsberg, Sakic, who will likely all resign with their team or retire):

C - Mats SUNDIN

LW - Brendan SHANAHAN

RW - Jason WILLIAMS

LW - Ladislav NAGY

C - Bryan SMOLINSKI

LW - Sergei BRYLIN

RW - David VYBORNY

LW - Jan HLAVAC

C - Stephane YELLE

LW - Chad KILGER

C - Yanic PERREAULT

RW - Jozef STUMPEL

RW - Martin LAPOINTE

C - Chris GRATTON

LW - Geoff SANDERSON

Top 10 Defensemen:

D - Bret HEDICAN

D - Karlis SKRASTINS

D - Sean HILL

D - Patrice BRISEBOIS

D - Jaroslav MODRY

D - Aaron MILLER

D - Steve MCCARTHY

D - Teppo NUMMINEN

D - Steve MONTADOR

D - Keith CARNEY

Top 5 Goalies:

G - Dan CLOUTIER

G - David AEBISCHER

G - Johan HOLMQVIST

G - Jean-Sebastien AUBIN

G - Scott CLEMMENSON

That's a pretty sad list. There's some value at forward still, but the defense and especially the goaltenders are pretty picked over, as expected in mid-July. There are still lots of players out there who were playing in the AHL last season. I expect a mass exodus to the new Russian League for a lot of these players.

You take a look at a guy like Ray Emery, his choices were to either sign on with an AHL team and try to work his way back to the NHL, or take his game overseas. I think this is the same decision that the majority of players are going to face going forward in this offseason.

Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Pavol Demitra to contract, $4 mill per year, for 2 years.

This dudes got numbers just barely better than Paille last year? okay, his years before are better, but 4 million??

Let's not forget the fact that Demitra put up more assists than Paille did points last year. Demitra has averaged over 76 points per 82 game season over his career. Let's not go comparing Dan Paille to him (33 points per 82 game season).

Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Pavol Demitra to contract, $4 mill per year, for 2 years.

This dudes got numbers just barely better than Paille last year? okay, his years before are better, but 4 million??

It's well on the high side, but until now Pyatt and Bernier were in their top 6.

I saw that predicted somewhere... Even the value...

C - Stephane YELLE

I wouldn't mind Yelle. I mean, i can't say i've seen him standout in recent years but from what i remember of him for Calgary and Colorado was he was always a mean mother f'er. Always hit hard, always looked for trouble. Maybe he lost some of his edge, because i'm looking at his stats now and the dude got 20 PIM last year in like 70 games.... how mean can the guy be with 20 penalty minutes. lol

Maybe Darcy adds grit via trade.

That seems quite reasonable.. Either that or we have over estimated his skill set..

yeah everyone has been kind of calling him a sleeper free agent who could be a bargain ... but he got less than 12 minutes of ice time per game on a Florida team that was not exactly loaded ... he must have some sort of holes in his game to have to settle for that deal.

yeah everyone has been kind of calling him a sleeper free agent who could be a bargain ... but he got less than 12 minutes of ice time per game on a Florida team that was not exactly loaded ... he must have some sort of holes in his game to have to settle for that deal.

The only thing I remember from Montador is that HUGE game-winning goal against the Sharks in the 03-04 playoffs which seemed to really serve as a catalyst for Calgary's memorable cup run that season.

Sens have cash flow problems and are close to the cap number. That said, I was wondering if Vermette or Meszaros would be a good addition to the Sabres? I know its a long shot, but it would be great to see the Sabres give one of them a offer sheet and screw Ottawa. Sabres definitely have the $room$ and either one of these guys would add lots of grit. I would flip if Darcy had the balls to do it.

Here is the link in todays Slam/Canoe:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottaw...128951-sun.html

Sens have cash flow problems and are close to the cap number. That said, I was wondering if Vermette or Meszaros would be a good addition to the Sabres? I know its a long shot, but it would be great to see the Sabres give one of them a offer sheet and screw Ottawa. Sabres definitely have the $room$ and either one of these guys would add lots of grit. I would flip if Darcy had the balls to do it.

That would be great just because it takes a lot of sand to do that, especially to a division rival. Then again, they're a rival so you wouldn't have to worry about hurting anyone's feelings.

One thing I could see the Sabres doing (maybe not now, but in the future) is getting involved in a 3-team deal. You hardly see any of those in the NHL. But I think the Sabres could do it for some reason. Would be nice to see Ottawa trade Meszaros to a Western Conference team thinking he's gone out west, only to have that team turn around and trade him to us.

Vermette has filed for arbitration. I'm pretty sure that makes him betrothed to Ottawa.

Vermette has filed for arbitration. I'm pretty sure that makes him betrothed to Ottawa.

Assuming Ottawa will pay him what he is awarded from Arbitration. 48 hours after the hearing they can walk away and then he can declare himself a UFA.

And with Kevin Lee's article about Ottawa trying to sign Willaims, I think that arbitration will be too pricey for Ottawa for fork out.

Assuming Ottawa will pay him what he is awarded from Arbitration. 48 hours after the hearing they can walk away and then he can declare himself a UFA.

And with Kevin Lee's article about Ottawa trying to sign Willaims, I think that arbitration will be too pricey for Ottawa for fork out.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't see them letting him walk. He's a pesky-type player that always seems to be working/playing hard. His career suffers by whose shadows he plays in.

Saw a Kevin Lee article today that had Vermette asking to be traded. The same article had the Sens trying to shop Chris Neil as well.

Not that they'd trade him to us anyway, but let me be the first to say no to Neil. I want a tough, gritty, physical, veteran forward to round out our forward ranks, but that d-bag has caused too many headaches for the Sabres and their fans over the last few years.

I want a player somewhat like him, but not him.

Archived