Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

1) There are one hundred links with regard to them offering Campbell a three year deal worth just under $6 million per year.

1.) Then it won't take you long to find one and post it, and it has to be one shows that Darcy and/or LQ confirming they offered that. The burden is on the poster who makes the claim, not the people who read it.

Besides, the rest of my post addressed the fact that they may have indeed offered that. So you have no response to the second part of that item:

Even if they did, why was it a bad idea to offer the 29-year-old Soupy two additional years but now they are OK with those extra years for a guy who is three years older and coming off an injury-plagued season?

I wonder how that impacts Ryan's negotiations. Miller has a little more experience and a better GAA, while Fleury has more SO and slightly better playoff numbers:

Regular Season

Miller - 205 GP; 112-68-1-19; 2.69 GAA, .908 SV, 7 SO

Fleury - 173 GP; 76-67-2-17; 2.95 GAA; .905 SV, 11 SO

Playoffs

Miller - 34 GP; 20-14; 2.40, .915, 1 SO

Fleury - 25 GP; 20-15, 2.30, .922, 3 SO

should be

Fleury - 25 GP; 15-10, 2.30, .922, 3 SO

no big deal, just a typo, but could be confusing ...

they are very similar but ... let's face it, Miller hold all the cards ... not only are the Sabres desperate for any good news, but he would be unrestricted ... Fleury was restricted ... He's getting at least $6 million ...

should be

Fleury - 25 GP; 15-10, 2.30, .922, 3 SO

no big deal, just a typo, but could be confusing ...

they are very similar but ... let's face it, Miller hold all the cards ... not only are the Sabres desperate for any good news, but he would be unrestricted ... Fleury was restricted ... He's getting at least $6 million ...

:oops:

Good catch, and I fixed it in my post. Looked at the wrong line...that's why I love copy editors, they usually keep me from making mistakes like that.

And you're right, the situations aren't the same, but the numbers are, so maybe that will help us keep the cost down a little. As much as I like Miller I don't want to see him get some $7M+, long-term deal at this point in his career.

:oops:

Good catch, and I fixed it in my post. Looked at the wrong line...that's why I love copy editors, they usually keep me from making mistakes like that.

And you're right, the situations aren't the same, but the numbers are, so maybe that will help us keep the cost down a little. As much as I like Miller I don't want to see him get some $7M+, long-term deal at this point in his career.

Well yeah, I agree $7 million would be too much ... he will probably approach Lundquist numbers but I don't think he will go beyond that ... in that regard, if this was just a down year for him it may have actually helped the Sabres, keeping his price down ... of course the flip side is, if this is the real Ryan Miller they are kinda screwed. But I think he bounces back ... hopefully AFTER he is locked up.

1.) Then it won't take you long to find one and post it, and it has to be one shows that Darcy and/or LQ confirming they offered that. The burden is on the poster who makes the claim, not the people who read it.

Besides, the rest of my post addressed the fact that they may have indeed offered that. So you have no response to the second part of that item:

Even if they did, why was it a bad idea to offer the 29-year-old Soupy two additional years but now they are OK with those extra years for a guy who is three years older and coming off an injury-plagued season?

Don't you remember Darcy admitting the three year offer was not enough? I'm not trying to be difficult but I don't see why I should have to research link for a subject we all talked about right after the trade.

Besides, I don't think they will trade for him just making the point that they were prepared to pay a one dimensional, puck moving defensemen close to $6 million per year before they were "surprised by the market."

Well yeah, I agree $7 million would be too much ... he will probably approach Lundquist numbers but I don't think he will go beyond that ... in that regard, if this was just a down year for him it may have actually helped the Sabres, keeping his price down ... of course the flip side is, if this is the real Ryan Miller they are kinda screwed. But I think he bounces back ... hopefully AFTER he is locked up.

Agreed...I feel like his bounce-back year is likely, but is also dependent on the other moves the team makes. If Lalime plays well enough that they trust him to start more than seven games (like T-bo did last year) and the defense reverts back to its 06-07 form (or better yet, the 05-06 "no giveaways and blocking a lot of shots" version) then I have no doubt Ryan will have a much better year. They took a step in the right direction by not bringing back Kalinin, now let's see what else they do to improve in their own end.

Don't you remember Darcy admitting the three year offer was not enough? I'm not trying to be difficult but I don't see why I should have to research link for a subject we all talked about right after the trade.

Besides, I don't think they will trade for him just making the point that they were prepared to pay a one dimensional, puck moving defensemen close to $6 million per year before they were "surprised by the market."

I don't recall ever seeing ANYTHING that confirmed we offered six million. I see a lot of articles that say things like "an offer reportedly worth" or "rumored to be a three-year deal worth XX." If you're going to pass anything off as fact, then I don't think it's asking too much that you back that up with a link.

The second part of your post still doesn't address the question... my question was not whether they were prepared to pay $6M/year to a puck-moving defenseman. My point was that if the FO didn't want to give Soupy, who is three years younger than Boyle, a 5-6 year deal then why would be suddenly be considering trading for Boyle, who is 32 and has five years left on his deal at $6M per? It doesn't make sense.

I don't recall ever seeing ANYTHING that confirmed we offered six million. I see a lot of articles that say things like "an offer reportedly worth" or "rumored to be a three-year deal worth XX." If you're going to pass anything off as fact, then I don't think it's asking too much that you back that up with a link.

The second part of your post still doesn't address the question... my question was not whether they were prepared to pay $6M/year to a puck-moving defenseman. My point was that if the FO didn't want to give Soupy, who is three years younger than Boyle, a 5-6 year deal then why would be suddenly be considering trading for Boyle, who is 32 and has five years left on his deal at $6M per? It doesn't make sense.

The only way that makes sense to me is if they (front Office) believe they made a mistake and feel they need that kind of defenseman on the team and he is locked up for 6 yrs..I dont think its a good idea..

The only way that makes sense to me is if they (front Office) believe they made a mistake and feel they need that kind of defenseman on the team and he is locked up for 6 yrs..I dont think its a good idea..

Another possibility, and this is PURE speculation, is that they considered taking on Boyle's deal because they could unload a contract or two (Max, Kotalik, Spacek, whatever) and/or get another player they like (Halpern?) in the deal ...

In other words, I agree, if you are going to pay Boyle why not pay Campbell ... so the only reason has to be because they would get something else in the deal, either a player or relief from some of their own dead weight or both. When you think about it, it would make sense for Tampa to take on some guys in the last year of their deals in exchange for Boyle ... it gives them money to spend next offseason ... in the NBA they do deals like this for expiring contracts all the time. Basically, to Tampa, they may not be as good as Boyle this season but the value of Max/Connolly/Kotalik/Spacek is in the fact they they come off the cap next season and they can go get the guy they REALLY want.

Another possibility, and this is PURE speculation, is that they considered taking on Boyle's deal because they could unload a contract or two (Max, Kotalik, Spacek, whatever) and/or get another player they like (Halpern?) in the deal ...

In other words, I agree, if you are going to pay Boyle why not pay Campbell ... so the only reason has to be because they would get something else in the deal, either a player or relief from some of their own dead weight or both. When you think about it, it would make sense for Tampa to take on some guys in the last year of their deals in exchange for Boyle ... it gives them money to spend next offseason ... in the NBA they do deals like this for expiring contracts all the time. Basically, to Tampa, they may not be as good as Boyle this season but the value of Max/Connolly/Kotalik/Spacek is in the fact they they come off the cap next season and they can go get the guy they REALLY want.

Why unload Spacek?

I don't disagree that it could be a sign that they realize they screwed up with Campbell. But if this is their choice then I think it's a mistake...he's 32, he's had a couple surgeries on his left wrist and played just 36 games last year. I just don't see how that's a good move to make.

I agree...

I'd love to see Halpern in Buffalo, so if it means we have to take on Boyle to do so then we better make sure we clear some cap space.

I don't disagree that it could be a sign that they realize they screwed up with Campbell. But if this is their choice then I think it's a mistake...he's 32, he's had a couple surgeries on his left wrist and played just 36 games last year. I just don't see how that's a good move to make.

I gotta believe there are better options than Boyle out there..I remember that old geezer from MSG saying that if the Sabres were to trade cAmpbell that Boyle could be a cheap alternative..6 mill isnt cheap enough for him..

I'd love to see Halpern in Buffalo, so if it means we have to take on Boyle to do so then we better make sure we clear some cap space.

Me too, the whole idea is probably a pipe dream built around the fact Halpern is a good fit ... but I think the logic is sound, because like you said there needs to be a good reason to take on Boyle other than Boyle himself ... and hey, Boyle would probably be productive for a couple years also ... there woudl have to be more to the deal though ... Max is obvious, but what else would it take to get both those guys? maybe someone we don't want to part with ... and by we I mean me .... since it is my fantasy world.

a) Darcy, I believe, even talked about the three year deal at the press conference. Also, I think I said the offer was for almost $6 million ( I think it was $5.75) As for a link, everytime I provide a link, its never good enough. I'm not going to spend an hour listening to GR's audio vault to prove a point. Campbell talked about the three year deal, his agent, Darcy.... If you can show me how to google press conferences or audio, I will provide the link.

b) Does it make any less sense then waiting to accept Drury's $5.3 million then trying to offer him over $7 million or turning Campbell down when he wanted $5 million only to offer him $5.75 million?

Pipes, you went from expecting a deal at the draft, to the free agent period and now to next year?

I still expect some significant changes this year.

I hope Larry Quinn's voice works. I don't like the implication that I entered facts not in evidence.

http://wgr.everyzing.com/viewMedia.jsp?res...mp;seek=132.509

Archived