Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Less than I thought he would sign for. I wonder how high the Sabres were willing to go?

5 years for...ah to hell with it.

I have been saying prayers for Bouwmeester. Oh, please God!
Looks like our only option might be old man Jason Smith...

I'm really hoping that Darcy is going to get aggressive and go after Bouwmeester. If not I'm OK with Jason Smith (or both - one can dream!)

hmmm....I see that the Sabres have gone to a four day workweek. Could yesterday have been their day off?

With gas prices being what they are, and Tommy G not willing to reimburse mileage, Darcy tried working from home yesterday. Rumor has it he missed two FA calls when the paper boy from Better Off Dead showed up at his door, looking for the $2 Tommy G owes him and tried to pay in sugar and ketchup packets...

I'm really hoping that Darcy is going to get aggressive and go after Bouwmeester. If not I'm OK with Jason Smith (or both - one can dream!)

With gas prices being what they are, and Tommy G not willing to reimburse mileage, Darcy tried working from home yesterday. Rumor has it he missed two FA calls when the paper boy from Better Off Dead showed up at his door, looking for the $2 Tommy G owes him and tried to pay in sugar and ketchup packets...

Well compared to the US dollar I'd say Darcy gave him a 5 dollar tip.

I'm sick of everyone in my phonebook calling me to complain.. Like I can do anything about it. But I swear 3/4 of Sabres fans are on the "SIGN ANYBODY" bandwagon and it's hard to listen to. Since when has that philosophy ever worked?

Haha :D

Hey, come on people, you better start posting if we're ever going to come close to the 26-page Free Agency Day 1 thread.

Come on man, give us a break! Yesterday we had the signing of a backup goalie to chatter about. Today? Well? We didn't quite pull of the coup we did on day one.

As Danny's girlfriend in Caddyshack said, TG, "tanks for nuttin".

Seriously, disappointing is a better way to put it than angry. They can still pull off the move they need and get the mojo back. I never expect the Sabres to win a bidding war. Just not gonna happen. So a good trade looks like what I have to hope for.

Sabres trade: working on improving the roster tonight in exchange for getting a head start on the 4th of July weekend. Woohoo get out the fireworks!

All joking aside, there are a lot of days left in this offseason. I think the thing that's frustrating is watching other teams make changes to try to get better than they were last year. They're getting their rosters in shape for 08-09. It appears we haven't started doing that yet.

9:30 pm, Wednesday July 2, 2008

Kristian Huselius

(Re-signing)

Avg. yearly value:$4.75

Length of contract: 3 years

2007 stats:

81 GP, 25 G,

41 A, 40 PIM

Edit: that got to be 4.75 over three years?

PS EDit: nope that's 4.75 PER YEAR

I guess it's close enough to report this from TSN: 20 so far today:

Wednesday, July 2

TIME (ET) TRANSACTION

9:26PM Columbus Blue Jackets sign UFA winger Kristian Huselius (4-year, $4.75 million).

6:27PM New York Islanders sign UFA forward Doug Weight (1-year, $1.75 million).

6:05PM Philadelphia Flyers re-sign defenceman Randy Jones (2-years, undisclosed) and forward Riley Cote (3-years, undisclosed).

5:16PM Dallas Stars sign RFA forward B.J. Crombeen (1-year, undisclosed).

5:01PM Colorado Avalanche re-sign RFA forward Wojtek Wolski (2-years, undisclosed).

4:58PM Pittsburgh Penguins sign UFA defenceman Brooks Orpik to a six-year, $22.5 million contract.

4:41PM Minnesota Wild re-sign RFA defenceman Kurtis Foster (1-year, $1.025 million).

3:38PM Atlanta Thrashers sign UFA defenceman Ron Hainsey to a five-year, $22.5 million contract.

3:03PM Ottawa Senators sign UFA Forward Jarkko Ruutu to a three-year, $3.9 million contract.

2:33PM Ottawa Senators sign UFA Forward Shean Donovan to a two-year contract worth $1.25 million.

1:52PM Boston Bruins sign RFA Forward Petteri Nokelainen. (2-years, $1.7 million)

1:22PM Dallas Stars sign UFA Forward Sean Avery to a four-year, $15.5 million contract.

1:00PM Calgary Flames sign UFA defenceman Jim Vandermeer (undisclosed) and UFA forward Curtis Glencross (undisclosed).

12:45PM Vancouver Canucks sign UFA goaltender Curtis Sanford. (1-year, $650,000)

12:35PM Detroit Red Wings sign UFA forward Marian Hossa to a one-year contract worth $7.4 million.

12:01PM Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Ryan Johnson (2-years, $2.3 million)

11:13AM Carolina Hurricanes sign RFA defenceman Joni Pitkanen to a three-year contract worth $12 million.

11:13AM Carolina Hurricanes sign UFA defenceman Josef Melichar to a one-year contract worth $1 million.

10:20AM Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign RFA defenceman Janne Niskala, to a one-year deal worth $600,000.

9:18AM Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign RFA forward Ryan Craig to a two-year contract worth $1.575-million.

Is Bouwmeester a physical defensemen? I thought the point was to make the Sabres defense tougher and more physical. Bouwmeester doesn't represent either of the characteristics. He has 1 major in 389 games.

Is Bouwmeester a physical defensemen? I thought the point was to make the Sabres defense tougher and more physical. Bouwmeester doesn't represent either of the characteristics. He has 1 major in 389 games.

I'm of the mindset that our defense needs more than just one tough, physical guy. They do need that, to be sure, but I wouldn't mind getting a true top-2 defenseman, especially if it hastens the departure of Lydman or Tallinder and possibly Max. (Probably more "fan wish list" thinking than reality, but it's summer, football is two months off, the Tribe sucks and Sabres training camp doesn't start until what, September? I need something to dream about...)

Besides - can he be any softer than Tallydman or Sekera?

if eck is reporting it there is about as much chance as that happening as kalinin blocking a shot in a playoff game.

Follow this train of thought, if you will:

DeLuca67:Andrew Peters

Me:Eklund

It is of my opinion that Weber will have bypassed Commodore in terms of effectiveness by mid-season.

Your opinion has been duly noted, and I cannot wait for this to happen. :thumbsup:

Hm, I guess I'll wait until they put the archive up on the Sabres website.

Darcy said that they're all right at center? Sounds like someone put the wacky tobaccy in his hookah pipe.

Looks like he was digging for gold in Acapulco, not in the FA market.

Tell me how you defend against this:

LW - Henrik Zetterberg C - Pavel Datsyuk RW - Marian Hossa

D - Nicklas Lidstrom D - Brian Rafalski

That's as good of a starting 5 as anyone has iced in the last 10 years, if not more.

What on earth?!?!?!

I think that Darcy is trying to be conservative with TG's money and that he's saying all the "right words (ok everyone, go ahead and :sick: )," but there's a key fundamental difference here: Darcy's talking while Ken Holland's doing. Just look at the results. Enough said.

I can *almost* guarantee that something will come up (injury) and one of these 5 will be scratched for any given game.

Wait...this is Detroit we're talking about. Might as well keep the cup there.

Hopefully, Kwame Kilpatrick will be out of a job by next year's SC run (if not sooner).

I think that Chicago would have to move Khabibulin, or Havlat or a D-man.

They need 2 or 3 forwards and have to dump money.

Afinegonov for Havlat??? :D

At first, when I read that, for once, I thought I was going to have to question your sanity. Then I read it again and realized that you weren't serious about it one bit. After all, why would we want to trade one snake-bitten player for another?

As for the Bulin Wall, he's gotta be past his prime. A stint in the RSL would probably help him out.

Jarkko Ruutu is a Senator. Now we have to deal with him AND Neil 8 times a year.

Oh, great. Just when we were so glad that Darcy Tucker got shipped off to Colorado... :wallbash:

No mercy whatsoever.

I haven't heard him mentioned here and I don't believe he's been signed yet, so why not sign (bring back) Keith Carney for a year or two at a modest cap hit to mentor our kids (Weber, Sekera, Paetsch and, when called up, the Portland boys) and maybe bring a little grit on the blueline. At 38, he probably doesn't have enough in the tank to play on the top pair (even better if he does), so he would be more of an alternative to Teppo/Pratt. Just a thought.

I haven't heard him mentioned here and I don't believe he's been signed yet, so why not sign (bring back) Keith Carney for a year or two at a modest cap hit to mentor our kids (Weber, Sekera, Paetsch and, when called up, the Portland boys) and maybe bring a little grit on the blueline. At 38, he probably doesn't have enough in the tank to play on the top pair (even better if he does), so he would be more of an alternative to Teppo/Pratt. Just a thought.

My hope now is Jason Smith. Stay at home d-men with a huge heart. Hits hard. Give him a 2yr, $6 million.

I'd be happy with that. :thumbsup:

My hope now is Jason Smith. Stay at home d-men with a huge heart. Hits hard. Give him a 2yr, $6 million.

I'd be happy with that too although I don't think that Smith fits the Sabres bill because he actually hits opposition players... :ph34r:

Archived