Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Thinking about the Tampa lineup, it's clear they are going to need to slim down a bit.

That's 17 forwards, 9 Dmen and 3 goalies

24 Brandon Bochenski 6' 1" 187 Apr 4, 1982 26 Blaine, MN, USA

34 Ryan Craig ** 6' 2" 212 Jan 6, 1982 26 Abbotsford, BC, CAN

28 Adam Hall 6' 3" 206 Aug 14, 1980 27 Kalamazoo, MI, USA

11 Jeff Halpern 6' 0" 203 May 3, 1976 32 Potomac, MD, USA

10 Jussi Jokinen 5' 11" 190 Apr 1, 1983 25 Kalajoki, FIN

4 Vincent Lecavalier "A" 6' 4" 219 Apr 21, 1980 28 Ile Bizard, QC, CAN

12 Ryan Malone 6' 4" 224 Dec 1, 1979 28 Pittsburgh, PA, USA

7 Michel Ouellet 6' 1" 193 Mar 5, 1982 26 Rimouski, QC, CAN

20 Vaclav Prospal 6' 2" 198 Feb 17, 1975 33 Ceske Budejovice, CZE

8 Mark Recchi 5' 10" 195 Feb 1, 1968 40 Kamloops, BC, CAN

10 Gary Roberts 6' 2" 215 May 23, 1966 42 North York, ON, CAN

10 Wyatt Smith 5' 11" 205 Feb 13, 1977 31 Thief River Falls, MN, USA

26 Martin St. Louis "A" 5' 9" 177 Jun 18, 1975 33 Laval, QC, CAN

74 Nick Tarnasky 6' 2" 224 Nov 25, 1984 23 Rocky Mountain House, AB, CAN

17 Radim Vrbata 6' 1" 190 Jun 13, 1981 27 Mlada Boleslav, CZE

16 Jason Ward 6' 2" 208 Jan 16, 1979 29 Chapleau, ON, CAN

Chris Gratton....

Defensemen

# Player Height Weight DOB Age Birthplace

18 Matthew Carle 6' 0" 205 Sep 25, 1984 23 Anchorage, AK, USA

24 Andrew Hutchinson 6' 2" 206 Mar 24, 1980 28 Evanston, IL, USA

71 Filip Kuba 6' 5" 225 Dec 29, 1976 31 Ostrava, CZE

39 Mike Lundin 6' 2" 188 Sep 24, 1984 23 Burnsville, MN, USA

55 Shane O'Brien 6' 3" 224 Aug 9, 1983 24 Port Hope, ON, CAN

2 Alexandre Picard 6' 2" 220 Jul 5, 1985 23 Gatineau, CAN

54 Paul Ranger 6' 3" 208 Sep 12, 1984 23 Whitby, ON, CAN

32 Matt Smaby 6' 5" 222 Oct 14, 1984 23 Minneapolis, MN, USA

Ty Wishart 6' 4" 205 May 19, 1988 20 Belleville, ON, CAN

Goalies

# Player Height Weight DOB Age Birthplace

37 Olaf Kolzig 6' 3" 224 Apr 6, 1970 38 Johannesburg, ZAF

31 Karri Ramo 6' 2" 201 Jul 1, 1986 22 Asikkala, FIN

41 Mike Smith 6' 3" 211 Mar 22, 1982 26 Kingston, ON, CAN

I'll gladly take Halpern off their hands, but he'll have to find a new number. (I also wouldn't mind taking Ramo to give us some more organizational depth in goal, but I don't see them moving him until Smith establishes himself as the no.1...)

I'm really fascinated by what Tampa is doing. Now the Lecavalier contract from TSN:

"Vincent Lecavalier's new deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning will carry him close to his 40th birthday.

The 28-year-old franchise centre signed an 11-year, $85-million contract extension with the Lightning that will kick in for the 2009-2010 season and run through the 2019-2020 campaign.

Lecavalier will earn $10-million per season in salary and bonuses for the first six seasons of the deal, before dropping to $8.5-million in 2016-2017, $4-million in 2017-2018, $1.5-million in 2018-2019 and $1-million and 2019-2020.

The declining value in the final years makes it much more palatable to the Lightning if Lecavalier should choose to retire at some point in one of those later years of the deal, but it also serves to lower the average cost of the contract for salary cap purposes.

That means Lecavalier could, for example, play the first seven years of the deal and earn an average of nearly $9.7-million per season, though the cap hit for the contract will be approximately $7.72-million. The other side of the coin, however, is that the cap hit would still be $7.72-million when the season salary drops in the final years of the new deal."

The price of poker is going up.....

How the heck are they going to be able to field a roster when they are throwing so much money around.... This starts next year...

I'm really fascinated by what Tampa is doing. Now the Lecavalier contract from TSN:

"Vincent Lecavalier's new deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning will carry him close to his 40th birthday.

The 28-year-old franchise centre signed an 11-year, $85-million contract extension with the Lightning that will kick in for the 2009-2010 season and run through the 2019-2020 campaign.

Lecavalier will earn $10-million per season in salary and bonuses for the first six seasons of the deal, before dropping to $8.5-million in 2016-2017, $4-million in 2017-2018, $1.5-million in 2018-2019 and $1-million and 2019-2020.

The declining value in the final years makes it much more palatable to the Lightning if Lecavalier should choose to retire at some point in one of those later years of the deal, but it also serves to lower the average cost of the contract for salary cap purposes.

That means Lecavalier could, for example, play the first seven years of the deal and earn an average of nearly $9.7-million per season, though the cap hit for the contract will be approximately $7.72-million. The other side of the coin, however, is that the cap hit would still be $7.72-million when the season salary drops in the final years of the new deal."

The price of poker is going up.....

How the heck are they going to be able to field a roster when they are throwing so much money around.... This starts next year...

Tampa is still $6 million below the cap and Vinny's deal is only 400 K above his previous deal. Tampa is doing what I believe is the way of the future, paying big money for your top 6 and filliong the rest of the roster with veteran free agents.

Their success this year will be largely contingent on whether Mike Smith is the real deal. If he is and they can lock him up to a Dan Ellis type deal, they can be a force for the foreseable future.

Tampa is still $6 million below the cap and Vinny's deal is only 400 K above his previous deal. Tampa is doing what I believe is the way of the future, paying big (salary-wise, but thanks to contract games, not too big cap-wise) money for your top 6 and filling the rest of the roster with veteran free agents.

There, now that's the wave of the future. How cheap would it be to buy out Vinny's contract in the last few years? Something has to change. I still think that they need a clause that says "no single year salary in a contract may be less than 50% of the highest single year salary."

I still haven't seen the term of Campbell's deal, but I am willing to bet he make $9M for at least a few years of his contract.

There, now that's the wave of the future. How cheap would it be to buy out Vinny's contract in the last few years? Something has to change. I still think that they need a clause that says "no single year salary in a contract may be less than 50% of the highest single year salary."

I still haven't seen the term of Campbell's deal, but I am willing to bet he make $9M for at least a few years of his contract.

Wait till we see somebody get a 30 yr. contract from a cap locked team.

7.5-7.5-7.5-7.5-7.5-7.5-6.5-3.5-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1......

Cap hit 2.5 mil.

Personally, I think the best solution is to make it so that every year of a contract has to be for the same amount. It will never happen though.

Wait till we see somebody get a 30 yr. contract from a cap locked team.

7.5-7.5-7.5-7.5-7.5-7.5-6.5-3.5-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1......

Cap hit 2.5 mil.

I know you were kidding (mostly), but fortunately I don't think that would work. I'm not sure what the buyout rules are on contracts, but isn't something along the lines of: you have to pay 50% of the remaining years' total salaries over the next two years? In that case, buying out after the eight year would require paying 50% of the remaining $22M over two years. Not terrible ($5.5M per season), but still higher than most teams would want. However, your point is still correct and we might see 10-12 year deals with even more low years at the end.

I know you were kidding (mostly), but fortunately I don't think that would work. I'm not sure what the buyout rules are on contracts, but isn't something along the lines of: you have to pay 50% of the remaining years' total salaries over the next two years? In that case, buying out after the eight year would require paying 50% of the remaining $22M over two years. Not terrible ($5.5M per season), but still higher than most teams would want. However, your point is still correct and we might see 10-12 year deals with even more low years at the end.

Yes. Tongue firmly in cheek. :)

But we are seeing these contracts with longer and longer tails to keep the cap hit down.

Yes. Tongue firmly in cheek. :)

But we are seeing these contracts with longer and longer tails to keep the cap hit down.

I think the league should consider a strike / lockout when next contract is up to ensure the viablity of the sport in large and small markets into the future...... :rolleyes: Naw wait that was a dream I had.... :doh:

Contract Buyouts:

* For players under the age of 26, a buyout costs the team one-third of remaining contract value.

* For players 26 or older, a buyout costs two-thirds of remaining contract value.

* On a buyout, the team takes a cap hit for a percentage of the buyout value (according to a very complex formula) spread over twice the length of the remaining contract years.

Link

Contract Buyouts:

* For players under the age of 26, a buyout costs the team one-third of remaining contract value.

* For players 26 or older, a buyout costs two-thirds of remaining contract value.

* On a buyout, the team takes a cap hit for a percentage of the buyout value (according to a very complex formula) spread over twice the length of the remaining contract years.

Link

Not exactly.

As mentioned above, the payout to the player is spread over 2x the remaining contract years. For the years that the original contract covered, the cap hit to the team is the player's original cap hit (averaged salary over the contract years) minus the actual savings in that year that the team has by buying the player out. (So, for a player averaging $4MM, who was due $3MM in the last year of the contract and is bought out; the team pays the player $1MM over each of the next 2 years. The team "saves" $2MM in that last contract year (they only pay $1MM that year, not $3MM) and the cap hit is $2MM ($4MM - $2MM in savings).)

The cap hit in the extension years is equal to the payment to the player. (In the above example, it would be $1MM, which is how much the team owes the player in that next year.)

EDIT: In X's example above, assuming the contract was bought out in the 1st year that the $1MM salary went into effect (9th year of 30 year contract), then for the next 44 years the team would be paying the player $333k and the cap hit would be ~$1.833MM for the next 22 years and $333k for the following 22 years.

EDIT: In X's example above, assuming the contract was bought out in the 1st year that the $1MM salary went into effect (9th year of 30 year contract), then for the next 44 years the team would be paying the player $333k and the cap hit would be ~$1.833MM for the next 22 years and $333k for the following 22 years.

Lol. By the final year of the buyout, the cap would probably pushing $1B, so $333k would literally be like a bag of pucks.

Lol. By the final year of the buyout, the cap would probably pushing $1B, so $333k would literally be like a bag of pucks.

Maybe we should start savings pucks now... They are going to go way up in value.. :chris:

Anyone for a three way?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottaw...171651-sun.html

According to insiders, Ottawa would trade netminder Martin Gerber and defenceman Andrej Meszaros to Los Angeles, the Kings would move 20-year-old centre Anze Kopitar to Chicago and the Blackhawks would propel goalie Nikolai Khabibulin and either of young blueliners Brent Seabrook or Cam Barker to the Senators.

And by the way, Janik got signed by the Blackhawks.

Anyone for a three way?

According to insiders, Ottawa would trade netminder Martin Gerber and defenceman Andrej Meszaros to Los Angeles, the Kings would move 20-year-old centre Anze Kopitar to Chicago and the Blackhawks would propel goalie Nikolai Khabibulin and either of young blueliners Brent Seabrook or Cam Barker to the Senators.

Their goaltending situation sure does get interesting this year after Gerber's deal expires (or Khabibulin if they actually picked him up). Brian Elliot and Alex Auld? Hmmm, I wonder when people will start throwing around the posibility of Ryan Miller staying in the Northeast division.

Anyone for a three way?

LA gets hosed and there is a big difference between Seabrook and Barker from what I hear.

Chicago doesn't need Khabi any more and if all they have to give up is him and Barker to get Kopitar, they would be all over it.

LA gets hosed and there is a big difference between Seabrook and Barker from what I hear.

Chicago doesn't need Khabi any more and if all they have to give up is him and Barker to get Kopitar, they would be all over it.

Dump a ton of payroll and land another future star? Yeah, they'd be all over that. I don't see any way that Ottawa gets Seabrook out of this deal. I really don't like Ottawa's return in this rumor, but I guess that means I'd be a big fan of the deal.

...not that I put too much weight into it.

Campbell's getting 7.1 each and every year.

Archived