Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

I hope Larry Quinn's voice works. I don't like the implication that I entered facts not in evidence.

http://wgr.everyzing.com/viewMedia.jsp?res...mp;seek=132.509

Thanks for the link. Being out of town I rarely listen to WGR so I was unaware of this interview, and frankly I don't like listening to any Sabres' interviews on WGR.

Pipes, you went from expecting a deal at the draft, to the free agent period and now to next year?

I still expect some significant changes this year.

No ... sorry, gotta be more clear ... when I said that next season "they can go get the guy they REALLY want" I meant TAMPA ... that THEY might be willing to take on some of that salary because it would expire after this season and then they could go get someone ... the new owners seem to be playing from the Dan Snyder playbook ... so they might be willing to pay Max and/or whoever in order to have that cap space next season to go shopping with whereas if they kept Boyle they have that money tied up for a few years.

I hope Larry Quinn's voice works. I don't like the implication that I entered facts not in evidence.

http://wgr.everyzing.com/viewMedia.jsp?res...mp;seek=132.509

Don't worry....you will continue to get people from 2,000 miles away claiming you are lying because the point doesn't match their expectations. I went through that song and dance before you were on the board (that I know of). Because good old Dwight is a fair weather fan, there is NO WAY he would listen to, process, and discect the multitude of audio comments the stooges have come out with over the years.

I am with you. Disagree with me all day and even say I rub you the wrong way. But claim I am lying or not honorable and that usually tells me a little bit about the person making the claim. I guess that is why those types often support the management. The truth doesn't matter, it's how you mold the story that matters.

PS...the NHL is like many other aspects of the economy right now. If you made the mistake and overpayed for crap the past few years, you can't even give that stuff away now.

Personally I don't like the implication that I had an agenda or that I was calling someone a liar because I asked for a link for verification. I only did so because I never heard any confirmation from anyone in the Sabres' FO that they were going to give Campbell $6M/year. (I also don't like the insinuation that I am one of the "types" who "support the management," especially since I have been fairly adamant about the FO's failings the last couple days.)

Anytime I post something that I think is newsworthy or is the basis of my argument I post a link. If I post something that I believe is common knowledge and someone calls me on it, I respond with a link.

I think it's just common courtesy, because there are a lot of Internet "Sabres buddies" (not as many on this board, but on at least one other Sabres board where I occasionally lurk) who claim to hang out with the guys and are privy to the inner workings of the front office, so adding a link is just confirmation that a real, non-bullschitt source (and no, Eklund doesn't count) verified those claims.

Me three...I was actually waiting for Shoop to give me a tennis update.

Did you here Schoop when he was interviewing Gaustad yesterday? Gaustad said that he went to Wimbledon while over in Europe last week? I am pretty sure Schoop soiled his pants as he was listening to him. :lol:

Personally I don't like the implication that I had an agenda or that I was calling someone a liar because I asked for a link for verification. I only did so because I never heard any confirmation from anyone in the Sabres' FO that they were going to give Campbell $6M/year. (I also don't like the insinuation that I am one of the "types" who "support the management," especially since I have been fairly adamant about the FO's failings the last couple days.)

Anytime I post something that I think is newsworthy or is the basis of my argument I post a link. If I post something that I believe is common knowledge and someone calls me on it, I respond with a link.

I think it's just common courtesy, because there are a lot of Internet "Sabres buddies" (not as many on this board, but on at least one other Sabres board where I occasionally lurk) who claim to hang out with the guys and are privy to the inner workings of the front office, so adding a link is just confirmation that a real, non-bullschitt source (and no, Eklund doesn't count) verified those claims.

I hear you, and I am not trying to single you out. You are pretty fair and rational. I understand the Sabre-buddy part too. It is possible to have an inside track, and the more inside of a track you have, usually the more cynical you become.

This year is much more calm than last year at this time. I think there is a big enough body of work from the franchise for people to decide if they want in or out. I used to get upset because the writing was on the wall where this team was headed. There weren't obvious FACTS, but enough circumstantial pieces to put it all together. It all leads to a sale of the team in my opinion. In a way that would give me hope of a true deep pockets owner, but in reality the guy that offers the most money will want to move them eventually. If anyone trusts Quinn and a 2 sentence commitment to keeping the team in Buffalo, then I have a rich uncle in Zimbabwue that has left me $20 million and I need your help to get access to it!

I hear you, and I am not trying to single you out. You are pretty fair and rational. I understand the Sabre-buddy part too. It is possible to have an inside track, and the more inside of a track you have, usually the more cynical you become.

This year is much more calm than last year at this time. I think there is a big enough body of work from the franchise for people to decide if they want in or out. I used to get upset because the writing was on the wall where this team was headed. There weren't obvious FACTS, but enough circumstantial pieces to put it all together. It all leads to a sale of the team in my opinion. In a way that would give me hope of a true deep pockets owner, but in reality the guy that offers the most money will want to move them eventually. If anyone trusts Quinn and a 2 sentence commitment to keeping the team in Buffalo, then I have a rich uncle in Zimbabwue that has left me $20 million and I need your help to get access to it!

Fair enough. It just caught me a little off guard, because although we've had some good back-and-forth I've never taken any of our discussions too seriously - I've never gotten "fired up" over one of our debates. (I confess that has happened with a couple others here, but things usually calm down pretty quickly.)

No worries, though. But if your rich uncle in Zimbabwe comes through, I'll PM you my address and bank account info so you can share the wealth. :beer:

It is of my opinion that Weber will have bypassed Commodore in terms of effectiveness by mid-season.

I might have to save this one in my signature for giggles. Can we sweeten the pot in terms of effectiveness? team wins, hits, +/-, points? name the criteria. i am not questioning the opinion, I think it will be fun to follow. Mid-season meaning all-star break or trade deadline?

So, we think we could sign Weber for 5yr 19 Mil? ASAP?

I might have to save this one in my signature for giggles. Can we sweeten the pot in terms of effectiveness? team wins, hits, +/-, points? name the criteria. i am not questioning the opinion, I think it will be fun to follow. Mid-season meaning all-star break or trade deadline?

So, we think we could sign Weber for 5yr 19 Mil? ASAP?

Your cynicism aside, I'll stand by my opinion. Commodore is just not all that great. Where did he sign, Columbus? We'll never even hear his name again.

Your cynicism aside, I'll stand by my opinion. Commodore is just not all that great. Where did he sign, Columbus? We'll never even hear his name again.

In fairness, though - that doesn't mean much. He'll be playing in Captain Kangaroo's trap system, so you might not hear his name anyway.

They over-paid, but not bad for a 1-year deal, considering he's now their top scoring threat. lol

I am not sure if he is stale or not, But I love Naslund as a #1 center/captain :wub: I think its a good price, but for the wrong team. Rags as usual, signing a team full of captains; all they need is Sundin now. If I was the fantasy GM; Naslund and Bouwmeester would on the Sabres today, just to let you know. :lol:

TSN reports:

Todd Bertuzzi is coming back to Canada.

The Calgary Flames have announced they have signed the power forward to a one-year contract.

"Todd is a proven scorer with the ability to play both wings," said Flames GM Darryl Sutter in a statement. "He expressed to us that he wanted to play in Canada and that desire along with signing him to a one year deal was important to our philosophy. He wanted to play on a good team and it fit our money. Additionally, our captain, Jarome Iginla, was a strong supporter of Todd and wanted him on our team."

TSN reports:

The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed centre R.J. Umberger to a four-year contract the club announced today. Terms were not disclosed.

Columbus acquired the forward and fourth-round draft pick from the Philadelphia Flyers last month for a first round draft pick and a third-round draft pick.

"Acquiring R.J. last month was an important first step in our efforts to improve the hockey club this summer and we are pleased that he will be a part of our organization for the next four years," said GM Scott Howson. "He is a competitive, hard-working player who will add versatility to our top six forwards."

Todd Bertuzzi is coming back to Canada.

The Calgary Flames have announced they have signed the power forward to a one-year contract.

So a tough, grizzled playoff team went out and brought in more toughness? They need to get with the Sabres system of uber softness. That is the way of the new millenium.

So a tough, grizzled playoff team went out and brought in more toughness? They need to get with the Sabres system of uber softness. That is the way of the new millenium.

A tough, grizzled playoff team that has gone out in the first round the last 3 years ... not sure that's where you want to hang your hat, Ink .... not sayin', just sayin' ...

A tough, grizzled playoff team that has gone out in the first round the last 3 years ... not sure that's where you want to hang your hat, Ink .... not sayin', just sayin' ...

That team would have steamrolled through the East.

That team would have steamrolled through the East.

Maybe, but ... I mean ... they finished 1 point behind Colorado and just 3 points ahead of Nashville ... would those teams have steamrolled the East or even challenged Pittsburgh and Montreal? I'm not saying you are wrong about Calgary, we can't prove it, and I am NOT disagreeing with the "Buffalo needs more toughness" angle ... just sayin' ... I don't see that team "steamrolling" the best in the East last season. I do like a lot of their players though.

I don't see that team "steamrolling" the best in the East last season. I do like a lot of their players though.

Sure. I am just a sucker for guys like this:

12 R Jarome Iginla

3 D Dion Phaneuf

28 D Robyn Regehr

4 D James Vandermeer

6 D Cory Sarich

44 D Rhett Warrener

17 R Eric Godard

TSN reports:

The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed centre R.J. Umberger to a four-year contract the club announced today. Terms were not disclosed.

Columbus acquired the forward and fourth-round draft pick from the Philadelphia Flyers last month for a first round draft pick and a third-round draft pick.

"Acquiring R.J. last month was an important first step in our efforts to improve the hockey club this summer and we are pleased that he will be a part of our organization for the next four years," said GM Scott Howson. "He is a competitive, hard-working player who will add versatility to our top six forwards."

4 years, $3.75/per

Archived