Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Wrap up as of 11:57 pm: 48 moves. On to day two

Tuesday, July 1

TIME (ET) TRANSACTION

9:58PM Boston sign forward Michael Ryder to a 3-year deal worth $12 million

9:50PM New York Rangers re-signed goaltender Steve Valiquette (undisclosed)

8:06PM New York Islanders sign defenceman Mark Streit to a five-year contract worth $20.5 million

7:59PM Minnesota sign forward Craig Weller to a two-year contract worth $600,000 a season

7:44PM Tampa Bay Lightning sign forward David Koci to a one-year, two-way deal worth $525,000 in the NHL, $100,000 in the minors

7:37PM New York Rangers sign UFA defenceman Wade Redden to a six-year contract worth $39 million

7:18PM New Jersey Devils sign UFA forward Bobby Holik to a one-year contract worth $2.5 million

6:42PM Toronto Maple Leafs sign UFA forward Niklas Hagman to a four-year contract worth $12 million

6:42PM New York Rangers re-sign UFA defenceman Michal Rozsival to a four-year deal worth $20 million

6:34PM Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Darcy Hordichuk to a two-year deal

6:33PM Philadelphia Flyers sign UFA forward Nate Raduns to a one-year deal

6:32PM Philadelphia Flyers sign UFA forward Glen Metropolit to a two-year deal

6:24PM New Jersey signs UFA forward Brian Rolston to a four year deal worth $20.25-million

6:15PM New York Rangers sign UFA forward Patrick Rissmiller to an undisclosed deal

6:06PM Philadelphia signs UFA defenceman Ossi Vaananen to a one year deal worth $1-million

6:01PM Columbus signs UFA defenceman Mike Commodore to a 5 year deal worth $18.75-million

5:40PM Chicago signs UFA defenceman Brian Campbell to an 8 year deal worth $56.8-million

5:04PM Buffalo signs UFA goaltender Patrick Lalime to a 2 year deal worth $2-million

4:27PM Ottawa signs UFA goaltender Alex Auld to a 2 year deal worth $2-million

4:14PM Tampa Bay signs UFA goaltender Olaf Kolzig to a 1 year deal worth $1.5-million (plus bonuses).

4:02PM Colorado signs UFA forward Darcy Tucker to a 2 year deal worth $4.5-million

3:49PM St. Louis matches Vancouver's offer sheet to RFA forward David Backes at 3 years, $7.5-million.

3:43PM Chicago signs UFA goaltender Cristobal Huet to a 4-year, $16.875 million.

3:41PM Florida signs UFA forward Cory Stillman to a 3 year deal worth $10.6-million

3:40PM NY Rangers sign UFA forward Aaron Voros (undisclosed)

3:40PM Pittsburgh signs UFA forward Eric Godard to a 3 year deal $2.25 million

3:38PM Tampa Bay signs UFA forward Adam Hall to a 3 year deal worth $1.8-million

3:24PM Toronto signs UFA goaltender Curtis Joseph to a 1 year deal worth $700,000

3:24PM Toronto signs UFA defenceman Jeff Finger to a 4 year deal worth $3.5-million a season

3:09PM Phoenix signs UFA forward Todd Fedoruk to a 3 year deal worth $3.175 million

3:07PM Detroit signs UFA goaltender Ty Conklin to a 1 year deal worth $750,000

3:07PM Montreal re-signs RFA forward Andrei Kostitsyn to a 3 year deal worth $3.25-million a season

3:03PM Colorado signs UFA goaltender Andrew Raycroft to a 1 year deal worth $800,000

2:53PM Washington signs UFA goaltender Jose Theodore to a 2 year deal worth $9 million

2:50PM Phoenix signs UFA defenceman Kurt Sauer to a 4 year deal worth an average of $1.75-million a year

2:02PM Pittsburgh Penguins re-sign UFA defenceman Mark Eaton to a 2 year deal worth $4 million

1:58PM Minnesota Wild sign UFA forward Andrew Brunette to 3 year deal worth $7-million.

1:33PM Vancouver signs RFA forward Kyle Wellwood to a 1 year deal worth $997,500.

12:55PM Boston signs UFA forward Blake Wheeler to an entry-level contract.

12:52PM Tampa Bay sign UFA forward Radim Vrbata to a $9-million, three-year contract.

12:04PM Anaheim re-sign forward Corey Perry to a five-year deal worth $26.625-million which will average $5.325-million a year.

11:58AM Pittsburgh Penguins sign forward Pascal Dupuis to a three-year deal which will average $1.4-million per season.

11:58AM Detroit Red Wings and veteran defenseman Brad Stuart have agreed to terms on a 4 year contract that averages 3.75 per year.

11:35AM New Jersey re-signs forwards Jay Pandolfo (3 years, $7.5 million) David Clarkson (2 years, $1.675 million) and Barry Tallackson (undisclosed). Declines option on forward Sergei Brylin.

10:55AM Minnesota sign goaltender Barry Brust to a two-year, two-way deal worth $1.1 millions total in the NHL and in the minors.

10:45AM Carolina sign defenceman Anton Babchuk to a one-year deal worth $1 million.

10:21AM New Jersey agrees to terms with defenceman Bryce Salvador to a four-year deal worth $11.6 million (average of $2.9 million per season).

8:45AM Washington re-signs defenceman Mike Green to a four-year deal worth $21 million (average of $5.25 million per season).

For the record, I'm hoping for Orpik and some good trades.

Will Hossa or Sundin sign today?

12:09 am, Wednesday July 2, 2008

David Backes re-signed by St Louis

Avg. yearly value: $2.5 million

Length of contract: 3 years

2007 stats:

72 GP, 13 G,

18 A, 99 PIM

Quite the raise, he was at $800k. Starting his third year.

Around Bernier, Paille money?

Here's something to chew on this morning...

This is being reported by thefourthperiod.com. For those of you not familiar with the site, in terms of credibility, think somewhere between Eklund and TSN.ca...

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html

12:56am ET - Defenseman Jason Smith could sign later today (Wednesday). I'm hearing Atlanta, Tampa, Buffalo and Pittsburgh have inquired about him.

Smith is getting old but I would still love him in Buffalo. He was one of my favorites to watch out in Edmonton and was awesome even when the Oilers couldn't seem to get over their playoff jinx vs. Dallas. He'd be captain material.

This is being reported by thefourthperiod.com. For those of you not familiar with the site, in terms of credibility, think somewhere between Eklund and TSN.ca...

Smith is getting old but I would still love him in Buffalo.

I've heard of him. Git er done.

Seriously, my desk will rise off the floor if they sign him.

Speaking about the trade route maybe something can be done with the 'nucks. If the over the top Sundin offer doesn't pan out they may need to make some changes. get on the horn with Tallon maybe we can get one of the young D-men they have, Duncan Keith or perhaps Brent Seabrook. It's only 7-2 so Darcy and company can and hopefully will do something

I've heard of him. Git er done.

Seriously, my desk will rise off the floor if they sign him.

I would be very happy with his signing..Lets be realistic here though, Darcy is not gonna make a move through freeagency unless he can maximize his dollar and that just doesnt happen in the freeagency world...I believe he really just would rather skip the whole process altogether and build through the draft and maybe the odd trade..I can understand it but when there are players out there that can procur the development of this team a little faster than the way it looks to me to be going I get very frustrated..

You guys need to chill out. July 1st wasn't the deadline for making the team better, it was the starting point. What this team really needs, by all accounts, is a number two center, a rough and tumble defensemen and maybe some additional veteran leadership.

Who that signed yesterday fits that bill?

There are no centers available in free agency. The defensemen will come along with maybe a number d-man. Relax.

I also have a question for those that think Bernier and Paille are worth $2.5 or more per year. Where do they fit in your hierarchy of Sabre forwards? You going to pay them that much to play on your third line? Who are you going to bump from your first two lines? How much you going to pay Stafford next year?

There is no way the Sabres lock up more then 6 or 7 forwards long term and I still think they are in pursuit of a number one right winger to play with Vanek and Roy. You can't keep everybody.

You guys need to chill out. July 1st wasn't the deadline for making the team better, it was the starting point. What this team really needs, by all accounts, is a number two center, a rough and tumble defensemen and maybe some additional veteran leadership.

There are no centers available in free agency. The defensemen will come along with maybe a number d-man. Relax.

I also have a question for those that think Bernier and Paille are worth $2.5 or more per year. Where do they fit in your hierarchy of Sabre forwards? You going to pay them that much to play on your third line? Who are you going to bump from your first two lines? How much you going to pay Stafford next year?

There is no way the Sabres lock up more then 6 or 7 forwards long term and I still think they are in pursuit of a number one right winger to play with Vanek and Roy. You can't keep everybody.

As I said a few posts back it is only July 2nd........ maybe those that you speak of are being thought of a part of a trade to acquire what our team needs

According to Darcy his goals were a backup goaltender, add a defensman and move some forwards which he thought would be done through trades later on in the summer..Then he also said he doesnt want to sign his 3rd and 4th line wingers longterm due to the fact he has some young guys coming up and he doesnt want to lock them out of a chance for a spot on the roster..Talk about shortsightedness..Lets say Gerbe and Kennedy shoot up the depth charts and you have all these young forwards signed longterm, is that all bad? Cant you make a trade and improve your team in other areas of need? The more I hear come out of Darcy's mouth the more I am wondering what the hell they are doing..

Tuesday, July 1

:thumbsup: Thanks for the great posts yesterday spndnchz! I was all caught up by just following your posts. I am working 12 hour shifts now and dont have time sift through TSN or whatever. Great Job!

.....can you do laundry? :unsure:

Tuesday, July 1

TIME (ET) TRANSACTION

9:58PM Boston sign forward Michael Ryder to a 3-year deal worth $12 million

9:50PM New York Rangers re-signed goaltender Steve Valiquette (undisclosed)

8:06PM New York Islanders sign defenceman Mark Streit to a five-year contract worth $20.5 million

7:59PM Minnesota sign forward Craig Weller to a two-year contract worth $600,000 a season

7:44PM Tampa Bay Lightning sign forward David Koci to a one-year, two-way deal worth $525,000 in the NHL, $100,000 in the minors

7:37PM New York Rangers sign UFA defenceman Wade Redden to a six-year contract worth $39 million

7:18PM New Jersey Devils sign UFA forward Bobby Holik to a one-year contract worth $2.5 million

6:42PM Toronto Maple Leafs sign UFA forward Niklas Hagman to a four-year contract worth $12 million

6:42PM New York Rangers re-sign UFA defenceman Michal Rozsival to a four-year deal worth $20 million

6:34PM Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Darcy Hordichuk to a two-year deal

6:33PM Philadelphia Flyers sign UFA forward Nate Raduns to a one-year deal

6:32PM Philadelphia Flyers sign UFA forward Glen Metropolit to a two-year deal

6:24PM New Jersey signs UFA forward Brian Rolston to a four year deal worth $20.25-million

6:15PM New York Rangers sign UFA forward Patrick Rissmiller to an undisclosed deal

6:06PM Philadelphia signs UFA defenceman Ossi Vaananen to a one year deal worth $1-million

6:01PM Columbus signs UFA defenceman Mike Commodore to a 5 year deal worth $18.75-million

5:40PM Chicago signs UFA defenceman Brian Campbell to an 8 year deal worth $56.8-million

5:04PM Buffalo signs UFA goaltender Patrick Lalime to a 2 year deal worth $2-million

4:27PM Ottawa signs UFA goaltender Alex Auld to a 2 year deal worth $2-million

4:14PM Tampa Bay signs UFA goaltender Olaf Kolzig to a 1 year deal worth $1.5-million (plus bonuses).

4:02PM Colorado signs UFA forward Darcy Tucker to a 2 year deal worth $4.5-million

3:49PM St. Louis matches Vancouver's offer sheet to RFA forward David Backes at 3 years, $7.5-million.

3:43PM Chicago signs UFA goaltender Cristobal Huet to a 4-year, $16.875 million.

3:41PM Florida signs UFA forward Cory Stillman to a 3 year deal worth $10.6-million

3:40PM NY Rangers sign UFA forward Aaron Voros (undisclosed)

3:40PM Pittsburgh signs UFA forward Eric Godard to a 3 year deal $2.25 million

3:38PM Tampa Bay signs UFA forward Adam Hall to a 3 year deal worth $1.8-million

3:24PM Toronto signs UFA goaltender Curtis Joseph to a 1 year deal worth $700,000

3:24PM Toronto signs UFA defenceman Jeff Finger to a 4 year deal worth $3.5-million a season

3:09PM Phoenix signs UFA forward Todd Fedoruk to a 3 year deal worth $3.175 million

3:07PM Detroit signs UFA goaltender Ty Conklin to a 1 year deal worth $750,000

3:07PM Montreal re-signs RFA forward Andrei Kostitsyn to a 3 year deal worth $3.25-million a season

3:03PM Colorado signs UFA goaltender Andrew Raycroft to a 1 year deal worth $800,000

2:53PM Washington signs UFA goaltender Jose Theodore to a 2 year deal worth $9 million

2:50PM Phoenix signs UFA defenceman Kurt Sauer to a 4 year deal worth an average of $1.75-million a year

2:02PM Pittsburgh Penguins re-sign UFA defenceman Mark Eaton to a 2 year deal worth $4 million

1:58PM Minnesota Wild sign UFA forward Andrew Brunette to 3 year deal worth $7-million.

1:33PM Vancouver signs RFA forward Kyle Wellwood to a 1 year deal worth $997,500.

12:55PM Boston signs UFA forward Blake Wheeler to an entry-level contract.

12:52PM Tampa Bay sign UFA forward Radim Vrbata to a $9-million, three-year contract.

12:04PM Anaheim re-sign forward Corey Perry to a five-year deal worth $26.625-million which will average $5.325-million a year.

11:58AM Pittsburgh Penguins sign forward Pascal Dupuis to a three-year deal which will average $1.4-million per season.

11:58AM Detroit Red Wings and veteran defenseman Brad Stuart have agreed to terms on a 4 year contract that averages 3.75 per year.

11:35AM New Jersey re-signs forwards Jay Pandolfo (3 years, $7.5 million) David Clarkson (2 years, $1.675 million) and Barry Tallackson (undisclosed). Declines option on forward Sergei Brylin.

10:55AM Minnesota sign goaltender Barry Brust to a two-year, two-way deal worth $1.1 millions total in the NHL and in the minors.

10:45AM Carolina sign defenceman Anton Babchuk to a one-year deal worth $1 million.

10:21AM New Jersey agrees to terms with defenceman Bryce Salvador to a four-year deal worth $11.6 million (average of $2.9 million per season).

8:45AM Washington re-signs defenceman Mike Green to a four-year deal worth $21 million (average of $5.25 million per season).

For the record, I'm hoping for Orpik and some good trades.

Will Hossa or Sundin sign today?

I like these for their respective teams; Montreal is taking a hit, Kostistyn was signed I know.

July 1st wasn't the deadline for making the team better, it was the starting point. What this team really needs, by all accounts, is a number two center, a rough and tumble defensemen and maybe some additional veteran leadership.

spot on.

I also have a question for those that think Bernier and Paille are worth $2.5 or more per year. Where do they fit in your hierarchy of Sabre forwards? You going to pay them that much to play on your third line? Who are you going to bump from your first two lines? How much you going to pay Stafford next year? There is no way the Sabres lock up more then 6 or 7 forwards long term ... You can't keep everybody.

this is emerging as an intriguing off-season storyline. i heard a re-broadcast yesterday of darcy talking about the need to maintain some level of flexibility within the organization, so that the 3rd/4th lines aren't entirely set in stone (that said, they did lock up their third-line center). and while i used to think of stafford as a prospect that we shouldn't consider moving, i'm now of the mind that there's a very real possibility that they'll deal any (but not all) of the forwards who aren't presently signed to a long-term deal. hey, provided they get good value and fill a need in return, i'm ready for any of our non-long-term kids to move.

p.s. what the hell happened to you, t-web -- days gone by, i shook my head in disbelief at just about everything you posted. nowadays, i tend to agree with just about everything you type. (maybe i'm the one who's changed? :blink: )

Commodore.

Here's something to chew on this morning...

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html

12:56am ET - Defenseman Jason Smith could sign later today (Wednesday). I'm hearing Atlanta, Tampa, Buffalo and Pittsburgh have inquired about him.

Smith is getting old but I would still love him in Buffalo. He was one of my favorites to watch out in Edmonton and was awesome even when the Oilers couldn't seem to get over their playoff jinx vs. Dallas. He'd be captain material.

I would love to think it is possible, but, with Atlanta's offer to Campbell being matched, it seems they have some serious cash they are willing to throw at a defenseman. I think DR pulls out of the competition negotiations get over $3.5 million/year.

I am still praying to Sweet Jesus that a Bouwmeester trade goes through later this summer.

That is the one guy I knew someone would point out. I would agree but I think they can get a cheaper version, especially if they are in addition searching for that solid number one.

Solid number one means Solid number one money; especially as a free agent, never gonna happen. Our poors mans Commodore is Weber.

I'm okay with that, I really like Weber. I want him and Sekera locked up long term today, while they are still cheap.

Whoa nellie! Before you get too excited and bring out the wheelbarrow full of $$$, Weber and Sekera have a combined 55 games of NHL experience. Let's see what they can do as full-time NHL'ers first.

I believe two years from now they'll be our top pairing. I'd rather lock them up now, say 7 years / 21 Mil, than loose them after they blossem because we can't/won't afford them. Sure it's a gamble, but i'd take it.

I believe two years from now they'll be our top pairing. I'd rather lock them up now, say 7 years / 21 Mil, than loose them after they blossem because we can't/won't afford them. Sure it's a gamble, but i'd take it.

There is no reason to do anything with these guys yet. I don't even think Weber starts the season in Buffalo.

Archived