Completely Random Question That Came to Mind Today

Goodfella25

I figured I'd post this since there's not much going on between games here, plus I don't remember it being discussed before. So what do you think? Should we retire Hasek's #39 once he is done? I am really torn on this one. Best goalie in Sabres history, arguably in NHL history. But at the same time, with the comments he made about our organization/city when he left Buffalo, a part of me puts him behind the eight ball. I mean, can you picture Hasek giving a speech to our fans on his jersey retirement night? You know, the typical "I love this organization...you are the best fans...without you this wouldn't be possible"...etc. I can't envision that, and yet it almost seems automatic that one day we should see #39 hanging in the rafters. Comments?

Yes,

Despite his social misgivings, in my opinion he is the greatest player to ever where a Sabres uniform. Yeas, better than Perrault and better than LaFontaine. It may sound harsh, but the other retirees aren't even in Hasek's ballpark.

I may be wrong, but he only won 5 Vezinas and two Harts while in Buffalo (also runner up for the Hart twice). I think he added a sixth Vezina in Detroit. Plus a handful of Pearson awards.

Yeah, he has a screw loose and his feud with Nolan was ugly and there is something to be said about a jersey retirees' commitment to the community....but you can't argue with that kind of play.

For the record, I'm also an advocate of retiring Mike Ramsey's #5.

Yes,

Despite his social misgivings, in my opinion he is the greatest player to ever where a Sabres uniform. Yeas, better than Perrault and better than LaFontaine. It may sound harsh, but the other retirees aren't even in Hasek's ballpark.

I may be wrong, but he only won 5 Vezinas and two Harts while in Buffalo (also runner up for the Hart twice). I think he added a sixth Vezina in Detroit. Plus a handful of Pearson awards.

Yeah, he has a screw loose and his feud with Nolan was ugly and there is something to be said about a jersey retirees' commitment to the community....but you can't argue with that kind of play.

For the record, I'm also an advocate of retiring Mike Ramsey's #5.

I agree, 39 should be there... but what "jersey style" does his number go up with???...

also agree especially about Rammer!!

retire #5

It should have already been done!

I vote "no" on retiring Hasek's jersey. A team retirng a number means more than what was done on the ice, and in that regard #39 doesn't pass the test. Is he arguably the best nhl goalie ever - yes. Did he set that standard in a Buffalo uniform - yes. Would I retire his jersey - no. Heck, I don't even wear the #39 in my closet.

The organization has made a mockery of retiring numbers. There are only two that belong up there currently #11 and #2. Furthermore, the only one that should go up in the future(as of today) is #39.

Have a Sabres Hall of Fame, Wall of Honor or whatever you want to call it to acknowledge the other very good players in Sabre history, but stop retiring numbers.

The organization has made a mockery of retiring numbers. There are only two that belong up there currently #11 and #2. Furthermore, the only one that should go up in the future(as of today) is #39.

Have a Sabres Hall of Fame, Wall of Honor or whatever you want to call it to acknowledge the other very good players in Sabre history, but stop retiring numbers.

I'd add LaFontaine to that list. Sure, his time was limited, but his contributions on and off the ice more than balance that. He's an icon for the game, the greatest american born player of all time and you honor guys like that.

I'd add LaFontaine to that list. Sure, his time was limited, but his contributions on and off the ice more than balance that. He's an icon for the game, the greatest american born player of all time and you honor guys like that.

I agree with your addition to Labatt's list on this one.

Glad I am not the only one who thinks that.

A definate....YES! He was a superstar and argueably right up there with Roi and Brodeur. He was for many years the sole reason that those Tuesday night games in October/November were enjoyable to watch. I think back to how many guests I brought down to the Marine Midland who just wanted to see Hasek play regardless of what team they cheered for. Too much was made of his comments once he went to Detroit (at a Detroit media event no less). Given the state of the Sabres at the time and the direction they were heading in I don't blame him for wanting to move on. Thurman went to Miami, Bruce went to Washington, yet we still hold them in high regard for their accomplishments despite their sometimes inappropriate words to the press.

Lighten up and have "fun"

I don't disagree with the idea of retiring the Dominator's number, but the way he left town was completely different from how LaFontaine, Thurman and Bruuuuuce left town. Dom was as responsible for the "state of the Sabres" at that time as Nolan, Muckler, and the Rigases were, and I don't think anyone overreacted to the way he left.

All that being said, it was a true privilege watching him play, and he is one of those guys I'll be telling my kids and grandkids about...

Well... what did he actually say or do that was wrong or inappropriate. The Rigas's (thought I'd never have to utter that name again..ugh) were shysters and I think Dom knew that after their broken promises and I think he saw the writing on the wall after the 99 finals. He did not leave like the others but remember how much Bruuuce used to complain every year about money ,etc that drove fans crazy. But every Sunday I was out there yelling Bruuuuuuuuuuuce. Still have the jersey!!

Did you miss the whole soap opera? Aside from the whole "did he quit on his teammates" controversy, the assaulting a well-known sports reporter issue, and publicly feuding with Nolan & Barnaby...

To recap, going into the 2001-02 season: Dom floats a retirement balloon (probably hoping the Sabres will not pick up his option); asks to be traded; and then essentially holds the team hostage, threatening to retire if the Sabres do pick up his $9M option and don't move him to a Stanley Cup contender. When Buffalo agrees to move him, he allegedly torpedoes one deal (to St. Louis for either Pavol Demitra or Cory Stillman and Fred Brathwaite) and then again threatens to nix the whole thing if the Sabres ask for too much in return from the Red Wings. So we get stuck with a quickly disgruntled Vyacheslav Kozlov and a 2002 1st round pick (Kozlov ends up netting us Hecht, while the 1st rounder turns out to be Dan Paille, if I am following the trade succession correctly.) Then he gets to Detroit and makes comments about retiring a Red Wing, etc.

I can't hate him, because of how he played here, and his Hasek's Heroes program is a great thing, but if there was an NHL version of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" Dom would not be one of guest contributors.

BTW, SabresFans.com has a pretty good recap of the seasons' events:

2000-01

2001-02

without a doubt, he was one of the best Sbares player to ever wear the uniform. He carried the team on his back for years and is probably the greatest goaltender to ever play in the NHL

Not putting his number in the rafters cause he wanted to be traded out of Buffalo after he had problems is stupid.

He deserves to have a night where his number goes up as much as the rest of the players already up there

without a doubt, he was one of the best Sbares player to ever wear the uniform. He carried the team on his back for years and is probably the greatest goaltender to ever play in the NHL

Not putting his number in the rafters cause he wanted to be traded out of Buffalo after he had problems is stupid.

He deserves to have a night where his number goes up as much as the rest of the players already up there

Agree 100%. Like I said, he deserves as much blame as anyone for how all that went down, but IMO, it doesn't detract from what he did on the ice and how he carried that team.

FWIW, he continues to cast a very large shadow across the creases at HSBC Arena, which is probably part of the reason why so many people are so hard on our current (and recent past) goalies - simply because we got spoiled by watching one of the greatest of all time.

No.

He's a circus freak, and yes I'm bitter.

That said though, I agree with the poster who think too many numbers have been retired. I'd also add #16 to the list that deserves being up there.

Even if LaFontaine had problems staying healthy, he was truly a class-act both on and off the ice, which IMO deserves credit.

Hasek? Greatest goalie ever to play the game, and greatest ego in the history of the organisation. I'll always remember him play, but I'm still doing my best to forget who's in all that equipment when I watch old hightlights. Get lost Dom.

Yes, 100% yes I think 39 should be retired and it will happen.

Get over his departure. The Rigas' weren't going to keep him around anyway. He could've handled it better, but Dom is nuts. The guy was the best goalie to ever wear a Sabres uniform. When its Dominik Hasek night, i'll be there giving him a standing ovation like I did so many times in the late 90's when I had season tickets.

The Sabres have gone WAY overboard with retiring numbers, to the point of making the honor nearly meaningless. If Danny Gare, why not Don Luce, Craig Ramsay, Mike Ramsey, Larry Playfair, heck -- Miro Satan. Where does it end?

Horton and Perreault. The rest are team HOF players.

Hasek is tricky. In an ideal world, he'd be almost a slam dunk to have his number retired, but with the tremendous animosity against the guy, which probably won't subside much even with the passage of time, wouldn't such a ceremony be a disaster for all involved? Would Dom even agree to do it?

The Sabres have gone WAY overboard with retiring numbers, to the point of making the honor nearly meaningless. If Danny Gare, why not Don Luce, Craig Ramsay, Mike Ramsey, Larry Playfair, heck -- Miro Satan. Where does it end?

Horton and Perreault. The rest are team HOF players.

Hasek is tricky. In an ideal world, he'd be almost a slam dunk to have his number retired, but with the tremendous animosity against the guy, which probably won't subside much even with the passage of time, wouldn't such a ceremony be a disaster for all involved? Would Dom even agree to do it?

My sentiments exactly - except for your mention of Playfair. Were you serious or was that part of your hyperbole? The "Team HOF" should also include Bill Hajt.

Archived