Writer Jim Kelley on Ch. 7 last night

X. Benedict

Did anyone watch channel 7 Sportsfinal with Jeff Russo last night?

Hockey Writer Jim Kelley suggested that the Sabres may not have

a television contract for next season.

He suggested that this may be one of the reasons that Buffalo is

not yet active in free agency and that it will be impossible for the

Sabres to turn a profit next year without a TV contract.

Anybody have an angle on this? Coming from Jim Kelley you would

have to think that his sources are pretty good on this.

This isn't specifically about the TV contract, but here are JK's latest thoughts on free agency and the Sabres...

The Buffalo Sabres, widely celebrated for being seers in regards to the "new" NHL, in truth simply got lucky. They opted to do next to nothing at the start of the free-agent season partly because they liked the up-and-coming but also because they thought there would be a slew of quality players on the market, the majority of whom would come cheap. Once they realized what the true prices were, they picked up a couple of bargain-basement defensemen (Teppo Neuminnen and Toni Lydman) and hoped for a best that turned out better than even they expected.

Teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Buffalo, Nashville, Anaheim, Vancouver and others will struggle with keeping the players they want simply because they have their own cap limits and players who have had good seasons will be demanding raises from a finite pool of funds.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.j...630_193739_5016

WOW! That would be a nightmare for the Sabres. I like Jim Kelley a lot and miss him from when he was part of the sharpshoooters on WNSA. :(

One thing I disagree with Kelley on...I don't care if Darcy got lucky or not, Teppo and Lydman were two very good acquisitions. His GM skills are going to be put to the test over the next couple of years and the dust should settle on whether he is lucky or good at what he does.

If a team can't spend to the cap limit, then nothing in the new NHL has changed much.

We'll be taking steps backwards and hoping for another unexpected run in the future. We caught the NHL off guard this year with the the new rule changes, that won't come as easy next season.

Not being able to watch would be really horrible. And, if that does have an impact on their ability to negiotiate or sign anyone, then things are looking not so good as they may miss out on signing someone that could fit or alienating the ones we already have. And, then as it goes on, alienating the fans by appearing not to be doing much of anything at all during the summer and letting all their RFAs file for aribitration.

The original Adelphia broadcast contract was for $6.5MM/year and was supposed to extend through the '06-'07 season.

I don't know the details of how the Sabres shopped the remaining contract out when Empire was folded. I thought that MSG took over the contract for both of the remaining years, but it would appear that is not the case.

IF Jim is correct (and he is extremely reliable in rumors of this nature), the Sabres could indeed be screwed heading into next season. With revenue sharing (and revenues from their extended playoff run) I had estimated the Sabres gross to have been close to $60MM. (Very quick and dirty calc's, I may try to come up with a more accurate estimate later this summer if I have the time.) That estimate includes the TV contract at the old Adelphia value. Taking a hit of over 10% (and more like 13% ignoring revenue sharing and playoff revenues) off the gross would be a huge blow to the Sabres.

I am hoping that he's off the mark on this one. If he isn't off the mark, I will have to wait an additional season and off-season (at least) in order to give Darcy a grade. If in fact he is correct, I'm really starting to get tired of all the obstacles that get put in the Sabres path. :angry:

No way do they go into a season without a tv contract. It will be on somewhere

They will absolutely have a TV contract with someone. The issues become how many $'s is it worth and at what point in the off-season do they have it lined up so they can nail down their budget?

They will absolutely have a TV contract with someone. The issues become how many $'s is it worth and at what point in the off-season do they have it lined up so they can nail down their budget?

I agree. I never knew that the Adelphia deal was 6.5 million. I was really surprised it was

that much.

They will be on TV, but they may not see nearly half that much in terms of a revenue stream.

Dave, if your worst case TV contract scenario is correct, and Darcy has x million dollars less to work with than expected, isn't it fair to ask multibillionaire Tom Golisano to pull out his checkbook and cover the difference? In the not too distant future, Golisano is probably going to sell the team for a disgusting profit, so I think the poormouthing heard around here lately is pretty tough to stomach. Man, after Game 7 and the first three days of July, I am in a horrible state of mind regarding this team. About the only good thing to happen has been Lindy winning the Adams. October is going to feel a lot different, I keep telling myself.

I've often wondered why they can't come to an agreement with a cable company in Ontario to feed the Sabres games to households from Hamilton south. This would be separate from the contract to televise the games in WNY.

I think part of the trouble has been Toronto. Sabres have broadcasting rights

South of Hamilton - but a cable provider that shares the Toronto market has

to black out the games North of Hamilton because of the Leafs protecting their

market.

It just hasn't been very practical.

I think part of the trouble has been Toronto. Sabres have broadcasting rights

South of Hamilton - but a cable provider that shares the Toronto market has

to black out the games North of Hamilton because of the Leafs protecting their

market.

It just hasn't been very practical.

That's too bad. I'm sure the Sabres could grow a fan base in Fort Erie and surrounding towns by being able to televise the games.

Dave, if your worst case TV contract scenario is correct, and Darcy has x million dollars less to work with than expected, isn't it fair to ask multibillionaire Tom Golisano to pull out his checkbook and cover the difference? In the not too distant future, Golisano is probably going to sell the team for a disgusting profit, so I think the poormouthing heard around here lately is pretty tough to stomach. Man, after Game 7 and the first three days of July, I am in a horrible state of mind regarding this team. About the only good thing to happen has been Lindy winning the Adams. October is going to feel a lot different, I keep telling myself.

Sell the team for a disgusting profit? To whom? Who in the Buffalo market will shell out over $100 million for a team that can't maintain a TV rights contract?

I love this idea that an NHL team is SUCH a great investment that it inspires guys like Golisano to invest in it like a robber baron. :D

The NHL is a lousy investment for a billionaire. If Golisano was really interested in make a huge return on his investment of $90 million, why not call his budy Warren Buffet? Warren could easily make Golisano the disgusting profit you believe he can make on the Sabres, without the headaches of running an NHL team.

Golisano has spent his own money to run for govenor in New York. Do you honestly believe he's going to piss off the people that he had spent so much time and money on trying to win their vote by selling the team out of state?

Exactly. Buffalo pulls in some of the highest ratings of any hockey market in the league. Someone will jump at the chance to pull in those numbers.

I had heard that the YES network was interested in having hockey on to go with the Nets in the Yankee off-season. I'm sure they would be interested now after the Sabres year last year.

Sabres on YES? I'm going to have to find a new hockey team to root for then. I'm sorry, 20 years of following will go down the shitter.

Go Red Sox. Eff the Yanks

I've learned, youre more right than wrong over the years. I've felt this same way since the season ended.

WTF is a polecat?

That is the just beyond stupid. :huh:

Profit? :huh:

$70+ million for the team.

$10-15 million in loses the first year.

$3-4 million in loses during the lockout.

That's $85-90 million he has already shucked out.

He makes a profit of $3-5 million one year. That still leaves his $80 plus in the hole.

So he should just write off another $6 million. Why not it's not our money. And don't say it is because the money Sabres fans shell out doesn't cover the cost of doing buisness. :angry:

WNY had great numbers for OLN during the playoffs. I wonder if they would be interested.

I do have another idea.

Why not have the Sabres be the first team in the NHL to sell a PPV season ticket? If they charge $125-$150 then they would only need to sell between 43,000-44,000 packages to make up the cost. It would only amount to less then two dollars a game. If you they can hook up with a Dish company then they could offer to Sabre fans around the country? Just an idea. It would give fans a chance to dip into their own wallets to help the team instead of crying for Golisano to do it every time.

jad -- Who's to say he won't sell it to someone outside of Buffalo? It seems his political ambitions have died down, so pissing off some voters in WNY wouldn't be a concern if he has no intention of running again. Buying the Sabres for a low $60 million or whatever the real figure was and selling it high (the Pens are going for $150 million) is a great investment. You are just awfully naive if you think Golisano bought the Sabres out of the goodness of his heart. Let me get this straight. Tom has a right to keep payroll low, run the team in a ruthless way and make a few million a year, but money wouldn't motivate him to sell the team for $100 million or more in profit a few years down the road?

Fushetti -- A polecat is another name for a skunk. See Polecat67.

Polecat67 -- I didn't say Golisano was in the black. I was saying after he sells the team, he will have made a very tidy profit. Reading is fundamental.

Why not have the Sabres be the first team in the NHL to sell a PPV season ticket? If they charge $125-$150 then they would only need to sell between 43,000-44,000 packages to make up the cost. It would only amount to less then two dollars a game. If you they can hook up with a Dish company then they could offer to Sabre fans around the country? Just an idea. It would give fans a chance to dip into their own wallets to help the team instead of crying for Golisano to do it every time.

Edmonton actually ran there away games on PPV this season. Great way to generate some $ and piss off some fans. I would make the road games free and then charge to watch the home ones. If you don't buy a ticket to the game, you don't see the game. This is from a business perspective. As a fan, I want them all for free.

Edmonton actually ran there away games on PPV this season. Great way to generate some $ and piss off some fans. I would make the road games free and then charge to watch the home ones. If you don't buy a ticket to the game, you don't see the game. This is from a business perspective. As a fan, I want them all for free.

It's funny you say that, since that was the original Sabres model. Road games on free TV (first channel 7, then channel 2) while most home games were only on International Cable. Over time, the team moved to putting almost all games on free TV (especially when the Rigases got involved), first on Channel 49, then on Empire (which was not quite free, but readily available). It would make perfect sense to reduce some TV exposure in the hope of selling tickets, though we have become pretty spoiled by the ready availability of hockey on free (or semi-free) TV.

jad -- Who's to say he won't sell it to someone outside of Buffalo? It seems his political ambitions have died down, so pissing off some voters in WNY wouldn't be a concern if he has no intention of running again. Buying the Sabres for a low $60 million or whatever the real figure was and selling it high (the Pens are going for $150 million) is a great investment. You are just awfully naive if you think Golisano bought the Sabres out of the goodness of his heart. Let me get this straight. Tom has a right to keep payroll low, run the team in a ruthless way and make a few million a year, but money wouldn't motivate him to sell the team for $100 million or more in profit a few years down the road?

Fushetti -- A polecat is another name for a skunk. See Polecat67.

Polecat67 -- I didn't say Golisano was in the black. I was saying after he sells the team, he will have made a very tidy profit. Reading is fundamental.

If he's $80 million in the hole where does the profit come from? A smart business man like Golisano doesn't spend $80 to make $20. The ROI isn't worth the risk.

Instead of just sitting around trying to come up with reasons why everyone in the world is trying to screw over Sabre fans? How about taking a good look at something new to you? Like facts.

Golisano put up his own money, no tax payer dollars, to save a failing hockey franchise. He came into a business he knew nothing about knowing full well he might end up taking a huge financial hit on this investment.

He, along with Larry Quinn implemented a business plan. He believes in it. And choses no to waiver. He has been rewarded for invest with a great season and a tiny profit that falls way short of the money he has already spent.

It as this point you chose to hammer away at Tom Golisano to spend yet more of his own money with complete disregard of his business plan. You somehow feel Golisano owes it to you to lose more and more money. He owes it to you to spend foolish dollars on average players like McKee? Because it will make you feel good?

Golisano has given more then enough to WNY. He saved our hockey team and seems to be willing to make the tough/unpopular decisions needed to keep the franchise healthy and in Buffalo. We as fans are not intitled to anything more. You want more? Sellout the building everynight and raise the prices to at least the NHL average. :angry:

Also,

The Pens are selling for $150 million? Does that included the Arena? Or is that high inorder to cover the teams debt that has built over the years?

It's funny you say that, since that was the original Sabres model. Road games on free TV (first channel 7, then channel 2) while most home games were only on International Cable. Over time, the team moved to putting almost all games on free TV (especially when the Rigases got involved), first on Channel 49, then on Empire (which was not quite free, but readily available). It would make perfect sense to reduce some TV exposure in the hope of selling tickets, though we have become pretty spoiled by the ready availability of hockey on free (or semi-free) TV.

How about Webcasts/Podcasts?

Put the games on the internet and charge a fee? Sell a TV type cast and a seperate radio type cast? Per game or a season package.

1. No, it's not fair. It's also completely unrealistic. There is no right bestowed from heaven upon us to have the wealthy throw away millions of dollars so we can have expensive players on our team.

2. As to your point that the value of his franchise has appreciated, so he should have no problem losing millions of dollars every year b/c he will recoup losses when he sells -- what if the bottom falls out on the value of NHL franchises (ie if OLN bails, there is a nuclear terrorist attack, or any of a million other things happens) and the sabres decline in value as compared to when he bought the team?

3. what is this prediction of an upcoming sale based on?

4. Lindy did win the adams, we did keep teppo, carolina and ottawa have lost more than we have, and the sun will rise in the east tomorrow. the sky is not falling. OK? Stiff upper lip, man!

5. October is gonna feel different. Remember our franchise goalie Miller? he's still there. so is Lindy, NHL coach of the year. so are drury, briere, max, roy, gaustad, connolly (I hope!), pominville, JP, Jochen, mair, henrik, toni, brian the terminator campbell, teppo, and a bunch of other guys who can skate, shoot, pass and will go through a wall to win a hockey game.

Between now and then, we'll add a defenseman and lock up a few core players to long-term deals.

This team doesn't quit. Neither should its chief historian or any of its other true-blue fans.

Archived