Seth Appert to join Sabres Coaching Staff

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I was reading Lindy had a good assistant people were hoping he’d bring with him.  Is that what you’re referring to? 

Ruff's one truly outstanding season as a HC out of his last 5 or so came when Andrew Brunette, the President Trophy winning Panthers HC (who got fired for a 1st round exit) who went on to get Nashville to sneak into the playoffs in a year that they were expected to be in a nearly full rebuild, was one of Ruff's assistants.

Am not seeing a really high end assistant on the staff.  We need to hope that Appert is the next Jon Cooper, but it's more likely he's the next Randy Cunneyworth.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

Ruff's one truly outstanding season as a HC out of his last 5 or so came when Andrew Brunette, the President Trophy winning Panthers HC (who got fired for a 1st round exit) who went on to get Nashville to sneak into the playoffs in a year that they were expected to be in a nearly full rebuild, was one of Ruff's assistants.

Am not seeing a really high end assistant on the staff.  We need to hope that Appert is the next Jon Cooper, but it's more likely he's the next Randy Cunneyworth.

Been beating this drum for a month. Andrew Brunette is a good coach. 

• Like (+1) 2

This is so transparently premeditated.

Why didn't they all save us the time and announce Lindy's hiring, Appert's "promotion", and the retention of Ellis and Wilford the day they announced Meatballs was fired?

A73p2h.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

This franchise refuses to go outside and bring fresh eyes in. It’s a good ole boys club over there. Living here in Panther country, it was eye opening to see their owner take a proactive stance many years ago when they were a dumpster dive and bring in all established hockey minds to run the team. Now look at them. 

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Been beating this drum for a month. Andrew Brunette is a good coach. 

Further on that, it's really a shame (but par for the course for how things have gone the last decade) that the team was in the low 90's last year and back in the 80's this year.  Had these 2 seasons been reversed, there's the ever so slight chance that Granato would've been removed at the end of last season while Brunette was available.  (He still likely would've chosen working for Trotz with Saros as his netminder over working for Adams with Levi/UPL as the crew; but it was at least POSSIBLE he could've come to Buffalo in that circumstance.)

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This franchise refuses to go outside and bring fresh eyes in. It’s a good ole boys club over there. Living here in Panther country, it was eye opening to see their owner take a proactive stance many years ago when they were a dumpster dive and bring in all established hockey minds to run the team. Now look at them. 

at least a good ole boys club tends to have some success owing to its retention of power and privilege. the sabres more resemble a feckless reboot of the he-man woman hater's club or some such.

image.png.e3f4ea49d5d1bc0cd31a00b8f080b431.png

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ... said:

This is so transparently premeditated.

Why didn't they all save us the time and announce Lindy's hiring, Appert's "promotion", and the retention of Ellis and Wilford the day they announced Meatballs was fired?

A73p2h.gif

Not just that. This org has been very open about how difficult it has become for them to get talent to come to Buffalo. Lindy may not be a world beater, but he is a well respected hockey man across the league. Forcing an assistant staff on any coach, but particularly on a coach like Lindy, will only make it more difficult for this team to climb out of the hole Terry Pegula has dug for them. 

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not just that. This org has been very open about how difficult it has become for them to get talent to come to Buffalo. Lindy may not be a world beater, but he is a well respected hockey man across the league. Forcing an assistant staff on any coach, but particularly on a coach like Lindy, will only make it more difficult for this team to climb out of the hole Terry Pegula has dug for them. 

I would bet that assistant coaching staffs would be about 39th on a list of 40 as a reason a player came to a specific team.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I would bet that assistant coaching staffs would be about 39th on a list of 40 as a reason a player came to a specific team.

And though this board nearly unanimously would like to see Ellis punted into the sun, Ruff knows him well and knows exactly what he's getting with him.  Can't recall if he has a history with Wilford or not, but doubt that he's been forced on Lindy either.

As for Bales, he still has a very solid reputation and it was under him that UPL finally got beyond the mental hurdle of the hips not feeling right when he tried to go cross crease.

Personally, was hoping Lindy would take that staff in a different direction, but we're getting to dead horse territory already and it's only a few hours since the entire coaching staff was announced.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I meant future coaching candidates. In a system where the HC isn't given the autonomy to bring in a single outside assistant the likely outcome is failure. And when that happens it will be 2x more difficult to find a worthy replacement. 

But to your point about UFA's I think you are focusing on the symptom not the disease. The selection of the staff is the symptom and not a reason why a UFA would or would not choose a team. But the disease is that ownership either does not provide enough bandwidth to let professional hockey people do their jobs, or they are too cheap to allow professional hockey people bring in the proper support to win games. Either of which would be an excellent reason for any free agent to look elsewhere. 

I am totally ok with Seth being brought in. He has shown that he can get the AHL team to the playoffs despite the crap makeup of the team he was given. (Good players but no grit or bigger vets) This gives him a couple of years under Ruff and some good experience. 

Now as for the rest.... 🤢🤮 I love Ellis, but he better be nothing then encouragement or workout coach. Very disappointed there was no "New" blood brought in to the staff. Hoping that Seth is given a big role and runs things and the other asst coaches are doing little. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, ... said:

Well obviously they weren't going to announce Appert until the Amerks' season was done.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, tom webster said:

But when it's part and parcel of an organization that doesn't look like it's trying win? Then it becomes an issue.

For me it's downright Pavlovian. I see Matt Ellis' fat jowels working on chew or gum or whatever. The Sabres lose. I throw up a little in my mouth. Eventually I see Ellis and go directly to throwing up a little in my mouth.

It can't be any different for the players.

• Like (+1) 2