Lindy Ruff, reintroductory press conference 1pm, 4/23/2024

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

And yet we didn’t get past Carolina.

I love revisionist history. It’s always right and can’t be proven wrong. I include my take, as well. That is a good point about returning players, though. I still think the entire exercise is pointless.

We lost due to injuries on our defense finally sinking us; had McKee came back for Finals we'd have been better than Carolina in theory. That being said we'd of lost if we had to field 3 AHL depth defenseman for the whole Finals.

Edited by thewookie1
Correcting for the local grammar Nazi :)

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

We lost due to injuries on our defense finally sinking us; had McKee came back for Finals we'd of been better than Carolina in theory. That being said we'd of lost if we had to field 3 AHL depth defenseman for the whole Finals.

We won’t win the cup until you use we’d have or we’d’ve or we would’ve instead of we’d of. Sorry, couldn’t let it go since the common mistakes thread.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, inkman said:

But that’s about a rule in a league with nonsensical rules abound.  It’s not, “do you know how you busted your ass for years to finally achieve the ultimate goal, well that doesn’t mean ***** because of Jay McKee’s stef infection”.

At the end of the day, one guy has his ring and the other doesn’t. Adams isn’t losing any sleep over that comment. 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I really tried to temper expectations on what Power was but almost universally around here it was "big guy hit stuff" and as I will repeat until this site goes dark, size does not equal grit. 

You're actually the only one who keeps saying that phrase and pushing that narrative. It's your strawman argument that you try to put everyone who disagrees with you into. 

I do not recall a single person saying Power would be a big guy who hits stuff. 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I really tried to temper expectations on what Power was but almost universally around here it was "big guy hit stuff" and as I will repeat until this site goes dark, size does not equal grit. 

He has the size though and you can teach it.... Victor hedman and Chara are examples who weren't the players they are now until about 4 years into their careers, Chara I think even a bit later. I think another player who will benefit from Ruff if he's not dealt in a trade is Mattias Samuelsson, he throws the body around just not nearly enough for me to get excited, he also shows grit along the boards, but to me he just needs more development.

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're actually the only one who keeps saying that phrase and pushing that narrative. It's your strawman argument that you try to put everyone who disagrees with you into. 

"No one has ever said this!"

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

He has the size though and you can teach it.... Victor hedman and Chara are examples who weren't the players they are now until about 4 years into their careers, Chara I think even a bit later. I think another player who will benefit from Ruff if he's not dealt in a trade is Mattias Samuelsson, he throws the body around just not nearly enough for me to get excited, he also shows grit along the boards, but to me he just needs more development.

Very next post talks about Chara and Hedman, 2 players being used because of their size and... physicality. 

Lots of ppl think Power will be more physical because of his size. It's never really been his profile but hey @PerreaultForever you keep on keeping on.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm with you and I agree on Samuelsson benefiting but those two are bad examples to compare to Power. Chara was a beast and a beyond normal physical specimen (still is) and Hedman is big all over. Look at his chest and upper body. Lot of muscle on there. Power is more in the Tyler Myers category but can hopefully develop into something more like Pietrangelo. We don't actually have a single bruiser on the D right now. You're pretty soft on D when your toughest D man is little Conor Clifton. 

I'm honestly not sure what Ruff will try to do with this group. New Jersey under him didn't play defensive hockey. Ruff's never been a defensive guy really. What I am hoping is he will bring a new level of compete, we will pay attention to details and play more disciplined, and in terms of style, we will try to be an aggressive forecheck team. This to me is the recipe for success if you want to be an attack, rather than defend, type of team. We will have to get tougher or add toughness though for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"No one has ever said this!"

Very next post talks about Chara and Hedman, 2 players being used because of their size and... physicality. 

Lots of ppl think Power will be more physical because of his size. It's never really been his profile but hey @PerreaultForever you keep on keeping on.

I don't know if he'll ever be those players or not but like I said it can be taught and those 2 players are a good example imo.

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

I don't know if he'll ever be those players or not but like I said it can be taught and those 2 players are a good example imo.

I agree, size can't be taught. Maybe they can teach him to use his size better, Quinn and Benson would be good teachers. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree, size can't be taught. Maybe they can teach him to use his size better, Quinn and Benson would be good teachers. 

For the umpteenth time, the reason you want big D men in this day and age is not for their "hit stuff" but for their reach. 

What these young guys like Power lack is strength. Not to "hit stuff" but so they can box out, not get muscled past and have strength on stick with that reach. 

Ability to "hit stuff" is just a bonus. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

For the umpteenth time, the reason you want big D men in this day and age is not for their "hit stuff" but for their reach. 

What these young guys like Power lack is strength. Not to "hit stuff" but so they can box out, not get muscled past and have strength on stick with that reach. 

Ability to "hit stuff" is just a bonus. 

Nothing in the post you're responding to says "hit stuff". Power needs to learn to use his size better. 

You're trying to pick a fight. It's boring, I'm bored now. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nope. Prominent guy here called for Power to be benched until he agreed to hit more people.

An hour later he threw a fit that 7th man Bryson might play and was still unaware of the consequences of his earlier demand.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Nothing in the post you're responding to says "hit stuff". Power needs to learn to use his size better. 

You're trying to pick a fight. It's boring, I'm bored now. 

Nice backwards spin move. You a figure skater? 

You introduced the "guys who hit stuff" concept, and you're right, that's boring. 

Have a nice summer. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SDS said:

Nope. Prominent guy here called for Power to be benched until he agreed to hit more people.

An hour later he threw a fit that 7th man Bryson might play and was still unaware of the consequences of his earlier demand.

Oh I'm sure people have said Power needs to hit more, and he does, but he needs to get stronger first. 

The issue for me was related to drafting Power and if people expected him to be a big hitter because he was big. Don't think anybody figured that. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh I'm sure people have said Power needs to hit more, and he does, but he needs to get stronger first. 

The issue for me was related to drafting Power and if people expected him to be a big hitter because he was big. Don't think anybody figured that. 

Lots of ppl thought Power would be a physical player, hits are but one part, and that's never been his game. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nice backwards spin move. You a figure skater? 

You introduced the "guys who hit stuff" concept, and you're right, that's boring. 

Have a nice summer. 

Dan Hard No GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Lots of ppl thought Power would be a physical player, hits are but one part, and that's never been his game. 

I watched his clips from Michigan and read the draft reviews, they all said this. He is the polar opposite of Pronger despite his stature. I just want to see an incremental increase.

As he gains strength and confidence he may hit 10% more. Using his body to win battles should be a given.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

For reasons I can't quite explain, I found this locker cleanout post on IG to be hilarious.

Screenshot2024-04-25123349_rev.thumb.png.2e040d5608da836459ec14f17415acce.png

Like, there's mild mannered. There's Clark Kent. And then way over on the mild end of the mild/spicy spectrum, there's Power (at least, Power as captured in that IG post).