Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’ve heard some stuff 

Did the conversation go anything like below?

5 hours ago, ... said:

Given the parameters Adams laid out and given the available coaches, how long do you think such a search would take...weeks? It's more likely Adams (Terry) had Lindy in mind since Lindy was let go by NJ. Still, all Adams had to do was make two or three calls that all went like "hey, XXXXX, I'm sure you heard the news. Interested? Yeah. No. Okay, thanks, see you around."

"Looks like Lindy is our guy, Terry."

That would take all of a morning before leaving for an early lunch.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Innocent question: If the Sabres miss the playoffs again next season, does Ruff stay and Adams get fired?

I think the short answer is “it depends”. 

The long answer is that if somebody is getting fired it will 100% be Adams first. And Lindy will likely either hire his own GM or move to some POHO or Senior Advisor role. 

And if this is successful Lindy likely eventually moves into a POHO or Senior Advisor role and picks his replacement. 

I think Adams neutered himself. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

If it was anyone else but Lindy, it would have been two years. 
Lindy could easily be moved into an advisory role as Pegula trusts him. 
The same could not have been said about other hires 

I missed the first part of this. Is this indicating that any other coach would have been on a two year deal?

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It is all you will hear because it's all you want to listen to.

You’re absolutely right. It’s all I wanna listen to. Idiotic.

• Haha (+1) 1

Lots to like.  But I understand any frustration.  My list was Peca, Lindy.  

To me more then anything else this feels like it puts to bed forever the “stink” of the tank years.  

Jack.  Gone.  Sam.  Gone.  Their coaches plus DG gone.  

Lindy had nothing to do with those teams.  Nothing to do with the tank and not one player we acquired.  He won here.  A lot.  

It’s a true fresh start in every way with a leader that right away will show these guys what it means to win in Buffalo.  

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Fire Adams now that we have a REAL NHL Coach

I'm not sure how anyone concludes that Adams has done anything but a top-tier job. We have talent from the sabres first line all the way down through the bottom of the Amerks and through to Juniors. Our organization is stacked. We might have the best pipeline in the NHL right now. We're just extremely young at the NHL level and we needed better coaching.

• Haha (+1) 2

Lindy is flexible in style of play.   He tries to tailor it to the talent on the team.  The man also is one to enforce accountability which was lacking.  Look forward to his assistant coach hires and him getting this team on the right path to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nitro60 said:

Lindy is flexible in style of play.   He tries to tailor it to the talent on the team.  The man also is one to enforce accountability which was lacking.  Look forward to his assistant coach hires and him getting this team on the right path to the playoffs.

I think the biggest change will be Lindy will be focused on winning hockey games and not player development. This, in and of itself will be a big change. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

If they are going for a more experienced coaching staff, I wonder if he tries to reunite with James Patrick. It looks like he’s coach towards the middle/bottom of the pack, first year with a new team in the WHL. Otherwise, it doesn’t really look like he has “his guy” anymore, maybe Chris Taylor who was on the NJ staff. 

I’ll be very curious to see what new blood he winds up with as at least one of the assistants. 

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm not sure how anyone concludes that Adams has done anything but a top-tier job. We have talent from the sabres first line all the way down through the bottom of the Amerks and through to Juniors. Our organization is stacked. We might have the best pipeline in the NHL right now. We're just extremely young at the NHL level and we needed better coaching.

By looking no further than the actual results.

It’ll be really fun praising Adams if and when those results arrive. If he’s doing it the right way, those things will simply materialize - so you don’t have anything to worry about, he’d get his due. Until then, “I’m not sure how anyone” is obtuse at best 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, at least they’re going to interview recent Cup-winning and experienced coaches…. Oh? Or that.

Hola desde España, ‘Spacerinos. I was wearing a Sabres t-shirt yesterday so perhaps a bit of premonition was kicking in. I look forward to not scheduling vacations in April-June.

And now the important part:

All coaches are “bad guys”: check. You need someone who was involved back in the Republic era and would have been considered a good guy: check. Someone older: check. Who could be a lead villain: check. Who wears slippers on set: check. Who will has legacy, gravitas, and maybe occasional CGI rendering: check. Who is ready to take over just as this thing goes operational as is now the ultimate power in the universe: check (basically the entire B story of Rogue One.) Oh, if only there was a name I’ve been saving for the obvious choice, when it was time.

I present to you: Grand Ruff.image.thumb.jpeg.1139845cb390e51516bfdbcf262a85d2.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RETURNTOGLORY said:

They've got the players.

Now they need the coaching  😉 

This roster is how a baby would put together a hockey team.  They need actual men that have been through it.  Not Tommy Dangles an d his band of yahoos. 

• Like (+1) 1