NHL Playoffs (First Round) discussion

SwampD

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

And how do you build that when you have no proven veterans in your organization and very few outside the organization want to play for you?

3 years ago, when this started, our "veterans" were Skinner, Okposo, Girgenson, Eakin, Coilin Miller, Pysyk, Hagg and Anderson.

And there was nobody for Mitts and Thompson and the rest of compete with for prime ice.

Now they are Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Cozens, Greenway, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Clifton

And there is plenty of bodies for Benson and Kulich and the rest to compete with.

I mean, you're not wrong with bold, but you also act like they haven't been trying to move toward that, and that it doesn't take time for the talent to be developed and acquired. I mean the year we just finished was probably the first time we could have reasonably expected to be close to that under this rebuild.

You can't snap your fingers and voila.

That was a CHOICE. I'm not going to get into the nobody wants to play for you because if that is true fold the tent now, the kids won't want to play for you eventually either. I don't believe it's true. 

Bruins had no cap room so they filled their roster with cast offs and retreads. Boquist, Van Reimsdyk, Danton Heinin was on a PTO and scored double digits for them. I guess you can argue that players want to play there but idk I think they just want to play. Colin Miller's still playing by the way. There's veterans all over the place, like on those AHL teams Rochester is playing. 

How you build your franchise and how you construct your roster is a CHOICE. Kevyn Adams may eventually be able to say look, I told you to be patient, and maybe it'll all come together but so far not so much. What we do this off season will matter a lot. 

I can't wait to see how many heads explode around here when the Bruins sign Crosby this off season 🙂

44 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

cause it's the Leafs. 

Now enjoy all the Leaf whining for months. 

and don't worry, unless Swayman performs miracles Bruins can't get anywhere near beating Florida.

I don’t expect them to beat Florida but it will take a physical toll on the Panthers!

20 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I don’t expect them to beat Florida but it will take a physical toll on the Panthers!

Don't think so. The Leafs' physical game was better than Boston's the past two games. Boston looks old. The Panthers have a solid physical game that can easily match Boston's right now.

If anything we'll be treated to a goaltender duel, but, again, the Panther's skill surpasses Boston's by quite a lot. 

If I were a betting man I would lay money on this being a 4 and out series.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

Lindholm was awesome.

Dahlin makes that play a lot to you could see it coming as soon as Pasta took off.  

I want to believe they used the play we did against them last year to tie it with Tuch one timing it off the boards. Even if it’s a common ish play lol

47 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Possibly. They have a few tougher guys than last year but overall Florida is the tougher team.

21 minutes ago, ... said:

Don't think so. The Leafs' physical game was better than Boston's the past two games. Boston looks old. The Panthers have a solid physical game that can easily match Boston's right now.

If anything we'll be treated to a goaltender duel, but, again, the Panther's skill surpasses Boston's by quite a lot. 

If I were a betting man I would lay money on this being a 4 and out series.

Probably. idk about 4 straight but Bruins don't have enough goal scoring talent to match Florida so they will likely end up on the losing side of a goaltending battle too. 

Beating the Leafs was satisfying though. I'm happy. Hate the Leafs. 

Having played first without Nylander, then Mathews, probably saved a lot of jobs on the  Leafs. If they had lost 4-1 heads were going to roll...coach Sheldon gone for sure, and who knows what other changes. Instead, they are now looking at it as some sort of moral victory that they battled back from down 3-1 without their superstar Mathews. Hear them talking of how coach was so proud of his team for battling back under such trying circumstances.  Guess it'll be the same old same old for the Leafs and thei rfans next year as well then...

Edited by sabrefanday1

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Having played first without Nylander, then Mathews, probably saved a lot of jobs on the  Leafs. If they had lost 4-1 heads were going to roll...coach Sheldon gone for sure, and who knows what other changes. Instead, they are now looking at it as some sort of moral victory that they battled back from down 3-1 without their superstar Mathews. Hear them talking of how coach was so proud of his team for battling back under such trying circumstances.  Guess it'll be the same old same old for the Leafs and thei rfans next year as well then...

I’ll be a bit surprised if Keefe is not fired. I think he is a good coach, but the easiest change for the Leafs to make is to fire him and bring in any one of the veteran coaches available. I think their brass will look at how they played games 5-7 and target a coach who they perceive will have them play like that from the start (Berube). 

There will be calls for Marner and/or Tavares to be traded, but they both have full no moves. I suppose there are ways to convince a player to accept a trade.  Both are UFAs after next season, so change is coming one way or another. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

I respectfully disagree here. Saved jobs? Interesting how games 5 & 6 were won without Mathews. He plays game 7 and they lose. 

I'm glad Keefe is proud and creating this narrative. They failed....again. Time for Keefe, Treliving and Shanahan to go. Along with a roster shake up. Running it back with this group would be a mistake.

32 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

I respectfully disagree here. Saved jobs? Interesting how games 5 & 6 were won without Mathews. He plays game 7 and they lose. 

I'm glad Keefe is proud and creating this narrative. They failed....again. Time for Keefe, Treliving and Shanahan to go. Along with a roster shake up. Running it back with this group would be a mistake.

Trust me I am not saying by any means that I agree or think that they should all stay and go into next season with the same personnel.  I really do not care in fact either way, but as has been pointed out their "big guns" al have no move contracts, and who would want Marner and/or Travares at their price-points? Treliving is a joke who totally detroyed Calgary and it is crazy that the leafs immediately hired him after being fired.  Shanhan and company have accomplished nothing really but they are really pushing the "boy we sure shopwed a lot of hear tand drive by coming back to tie the series" rhetoric up here in Ontario (I was born and raised in Toronto suburbs and m ybro was a good foalie in the Leaf organization and was tutroed at one point by Johnny Bower and even had equipment given to him from Mr. Bower and I grew up playing and coaching hockey). I now live north of TO but even on facebook it is full of Leaf fans spewing their love for the team and how they battled back. So it is no tonly Keefe but even th efans are guilty of the continued love-affair...      

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That is a term I've heard out here now and again. Mostly if you mention Toronto or Ontario you get eye rolls or some sort of sarcasm like "oh, it's Ontario, well then it must be good" with full on sarcastic tone and disdain. 

One thing I've heard multiple times from people who were born out here is they go visit Ontario in the summer and they are just not ready for the humidity. They come back hating the place for the experience they have with that weather. Just not ready for it. After 25 plus years out here I have issues with humidity now too. It's rare here. 

This is my favourite Toronto video

Our mayor might have been on crack, but in BC they love crack so much they made it legal! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Jack’s was at least a great opportunity he created from nothing he couldn’t bury. Marchessault just egregiously missed 

The announcers were losing their ***** about Dallas changing their guys…It wasn’t icing!!! lol