All about Craig Berube

#freejame

I’ve seen Berube’s name tossed around a lot on this board, but I don’t know much outside of he won the cup with the Blues the year they started like ***** with Yeo. What’s he like?

Edited by #freejame

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, he got ROR to love hockey again. 

Berube is a hard nosed demanding coach but he might be over rated. Hard to say for sure. He had good assistants and a good spot to fall into. What he did was impressive but it didn't last so it also brings up questions. 

Agreed. I like Berube and what he would bring, but kind of a small sample size with his coaching career. I’d put him in my top 5-6 for head coach wish list, but definitely there are others I’d prefer. If we are going experienced, I’d like to see a coach who has won in multiple organizations, that way you know it wasn’t a fluke. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

Agreed. I like Berube and what he would bring, but kind of a small sample size with his coaching career. I’d put him in my top 5-6 for head coach wish list, but definitely there are others I’d prefer. If we are going experienced, I’d like to see a coach who has won in multiple organizations, that way you know it wasn’t a fluke. 

Berube has been an NHL head coach for 6 full seasons and parts of 2 others (he was hired and fired mid-season)

He's also had 2 years as an NHL Associate coach, 2 as an AHL head coach and was an NHL assistant for 7 more.

His head coaching record is 206/132/44 with the Blues, 75/58/28 with the Flyers and he has .584 career winning percentage.

And he has a Stanley Cup ring.

What kind of sample size are you looking for?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Berube has been an NHL head coach for 6 full seasons and parts of 2 others (he was hired and fired mid-season)

He's also had 2 years as an NHL Associate coach, 2 as an AHL head coach and was an NHL assistant for 7 more.

His head coaching record is 206/132/44 with the Blues, 75/58/28 with the Flyers and he has .584 career winning percentage.

Agreed.....It more than good enough pedigree for this "Beggars can't be choosers" organization

4 hours ago, bg17 said:

Berube fun fact - fewest career points of anyone to play 1000 NHL games. 

Great, him and Matt Ellis can fight over coaching the power play. /s

I think Berube is a different class of coach than Bylsma, but there’s something about winning a Stanley Cup as an interim rather than building a Stanley Cup winner that scares me with this roster. 

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 1

Assuming Brind’Amour is a pipe-dream, Berube probably tops my list. He’s got a long coaching record with winning seasons in the AHL, made the playoffs as head coach of the Flyers, post-cup in St. Louis he continued winning including a 49 win season two years ago. My sense is that the Blues were a team built for a short cycle. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

That's points percentage. His win percentage is much lower.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/berubcr01c.html

https://records.nhl.com/coaches/craig-berube-146

15 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Craig Berube I don’t believe is coming to the Buffalo Sabres for a lousy $2 million dollars that Don Granato was making he isn’t coming here for $2 million dollars. Be glad that Lindy Ruff is interested in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I don't believe they'll be  lowballing any established candidate . That was unique to the unproven Granato in his first chance at HC. 

• Like (+1) 1

The more I listen to players reacting to a coach being fired, the more it sounds the same (i.e. theme of accountability, etc.).  This one was kind of interesting when Berube was fired....I don't put too much emphasis on this (one way or another).

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/blues_star_has_ice_cold_response_to_firing_of_hc_craig_berube/s1_13132_39674250

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

Assuming Brind’Amour is a pipe-dream, Berube probably tops my list. He’s got a long coaching record with winning seasons in the AHL, made the playoffs as head coach of the Flyers, post-cup in St. Louis he continued winning including a 49 win season two years ago. My sense is that the Blues were a team built for a short cycle. 

The biggest thing here for me is Berube has a much different style 'he'd want major roster changes to fit that style. From player to coach everything about him is hard nosed D first and physical play. This is just so not what we are or have. Hence I see this one as unlikely. 

Brind'Amour is the dream but he would fit. We can be Carolina under him. Ruff would fit for a variety of reasons and the history (which is good for ticket sales and marketing) Gallant idk. Harder fit but definitely a good coach. Some changes would be needed there. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The biggest thing here for me is Berube has a much different style 'he'd want major roster changes to fit that style. From player to coach everything about him is hard nosed D first and physical play. This is just so not what we are or have. Hence I see this one as unlikely. 

Brind'Amour is the dream but he would fit. We can be Carolina under him. Ruff would fit for a variety of reasons and the history (which is good for ticket sales and marketing) Gallant idk. Harder fit but definitely a good coach. Some changes would be needed there. 

Adams being forced to make some roster changes would be a good thing.

This team has a lot of young assets but no identity. They need to bring in some pieces that carve out an identity. Bernie would force him to that and that would be a good thing.  I got the feeling from the PC that Adams is ready to do it.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

The more I listen to players reacting to a coach being fired, the more it sounds the same (i.e. theme of accountability, etc.).  This one was kind of interesting when Berube was fired....I don't put too much emphasis on this (one way or another).

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/blues_star_has_ice_cold_response_to_firing_of_hc_craig_berube/s1_13132_39674250

I take it as a positive. Kyrou isn’t a big fan of playing the defensive side of the game. Means Berube kept him accountable and was on him. The Sabres don’t need a coach they love right now they need one that pushes them to play better hockey consistently.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

22 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

He’s a hard nosed coached that demands accountability. He has a good record overall and lead the Blues to a Cup.

Here is an interview with him after the Blues missed the playoffs for the first time under him. His answers line up with what Adams talked about and wants:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/st-louis-blues/featured/blues-coach-craig-berube

Well I'm sold

I'm not much of a Berube fan.  I think he fell into a great landing spot and a team that went on a freakish run.  He'd be a Bylsma hire to me. I like then discipline in his manner. But eh.

• Like (+1) 1

I talked to my St Louis contact and he said that people were actually pissed when he was fired but they felt like they needed a new voice. They did go on a 14-6 run right after he was fired. He was liked by players even though he was tough on them. I like the sound of that...

• Like (+1) 1