The Buffalo Sabres Are Officially Eliminated From Playoff Contention

“Since the Sabres last made the playoffs, every other team in the NHL has played at least 14 playoff games, 30 teams have played at least 25 playoff games and 20 teams have played at least 50. Six franchises have played 100 or more postseason games since the Sabres played their most recent playoff game in April 2011.”

-Matthew Fairburn, Athletic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 3
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

“Since the Sabres last made the playoffs, every other team in the NHL has played at least 14 playoff games, 30 teams have played at least 25 playoff games and 20 teams have played at least 50. Six franchises have played 100 or more postseason games since the Sabres played their most recent playoff game in April 2011.”

Not to mention, didn’t 24 teams make it in the Covid year? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I usually go to the Sabres game in Dallas every year.  From the end of the first period on, this was the most uninspired, crappy version of the Sabres I can remember seeing. 

I didn’t go this year and I’m quite happy with the decision considering ticket prices. The crazy bit for me is my parents didn’t even go after moving here this year—making this the first season they haven’t attended a single game since before Ryan Miller was drafted (excluding the COVID season). I know my mom dropped her season ticket package after 2020-21 and she has been pretty vocal about not liking the team, but it still blew my mind when my mom said they weren’t going because it wasn’t worth it.

• Like (+1) 2

Really looking forward to the Adams presser. Really believes in the coaching staff and the players in the room, this is part of the process, going with even more kids next year, everyone should be thankful for all the Pegulas have done, really thinks the roof and scoreboard will make a difference.🤢🤮🤬

• Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm tempted to make a new thread for this, but for the time being this can live here. 

41-32-6

That's the Sabres combined second half records over the past two years. That's good for 88 points. There are people within the organization and on this board that will tell you "if the Sabres can just bring their second half effort over the last two seasons for a full season, everything will be fine." No, it certainly will not. Over the course of 16ish years, this franchise and a great deal of the fanbase have forgotten what a winning hockey team looks and acts like. An 88 point place is not sunshine and rainbows, people. Even last year's second half, the justification used by our front office and rationalized by this fanbase for standing pat, is only a 94 point pace. That would have been good for SIXTH in the conference. Sixth in the conference would be good enough to stand pat? I would be clamoring to fire Adams if he held pat after making the playoffs a decade straight without making moves to upgrade. 

There is this beaten down, loser mentality that has infected every aspect of this organization. Sixth in the conference is mediocrity.  No fanbase should be happy with years of finishing sixth without progress. We are striving for mediocrity.

Terry defenders and supporters of Adams and Granato will tell you that they aren't striving for sixth place. That we are working towards sustained success and a prolonged run at Stanley Cups. Their actions don't show this. None of this is acceptable, yet as fans we have no options other than roll over and take it, or give up what is for many of us part of our identity. I've already seen comments here and elsewhere about excitement for next year or renewing seasons tickets. I just don't get it. What is it that others see that I'm missing? 

There isn't any anger behind this post. This season was finished almost as quickly as it began. I guess I just don't understand how people who felt the things I've felt during Sabres playoff runs can see any silver linings or have any optimism. Have we all forgotten what winners look like? Do we no longer remember how winning makes us feel? It sure seems like it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

Sure enough... the Kraken got their 14 games in in just one playoff appearance. The Kraken have more playoff wins than the Sabres do since 2008.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

I'm tempted to make a new thread for this, but for the time being this can live here. 

41-32-6

That's the Sabres combined second half records over the past two years. That's good for 88 points. There are people within the organization and on this board that will tell you "if the Sabres can just bring their second half effort over the last two seasons for a full season, everything will be fine." No, it certainly will not. Over the course of 16ish years, this franchise and a great deal of the fanbase have forgotten what a winning hockey team looks and acts like. An 88 point place is not sunshine and rainbows, people. Even last year's second half, the justification used by our front office and rationalized by this fanbase for standing pat, is only a 94 point pace. That would have been good for SIXTH in the conference. Sixth in the conference would be good enough to stand pat? I would be clamoring to fire Adams if he held pat after making the playoffs a decade straight without making moves to upgrade. 

There is this beaten down, loser mentality that has infected every aspect of this organization. Sixth in the conference is mediocrity.  No fanbase should be happy with years of finishing sixth without progress. We are striving for mediocrity.

Terry defenders and supporters of Adams and Granato will tell you that they aren't striving for sixth place. That we are working towards sustained success and a prolonged run at Stanley Cups. Their actions don't show this. None of this is acceptable, yet as fans we have no options other than roll over and take it, or give up what is for many of us part of our identity. I've already seen comments here and elsewhere about excitement for next year or renewing seasons tickets. I just don't get it. What is it that others see that I'm missing? 

There isn't any anger behind this post. This season was finished almost as quickly as it began. I guess I just don't understand how people who felt the things I've felt during Sabres playoff runs can see any silver linings or have any optimism. Have we all forgotten what winners look like? Do we no longer remember how winning makes us feel? It sure seems like it. 

None of this is acceptable. None of this is the fans fault. It starts with the moron in charge and flows down to the waterboy but blaming the fans is nonsensicle. 

• Agree 2