End of 23/24 season msg from this fan......."steady as she goes, stay the course".

.For as much as an overwhelming majority of the fan base want change, outside of maybe some asst. coaches, the roster is where that change will occur. There are real time improvements that have been made, and to not acknowledge them while our frustration grows just doesn't feel right.

1. Goaltending.......inside organizational growth has improved this position. No need to get in to the particulars, we all watch it.

2. Defensive corps.......improved, the 2nd half of season gaa says it all, and while it's a complete effort, the defense has improved.

3. Forward ranks........we all know the skill talent is there, need on ice leadership towards what some call grit, others call heart. For myself, it's called individual accountability from each player to dig down game after game to apply a full 60 min. effort. Leadership on the roster is critical for this in my opinion ad Donny can't throw on a jersey and join the in game action. Sure the coach can do some, make adjustments, hold players accountable, but it's the players that need to self police their own play imo.

So, from my view, we stay the course, continue to build the maturity of the roster, add those character leadership players in the off season and beyond. I'm very optimistic about this current teams future. I see an upward mobility in the standings in our immediate future.

"Steady as she goes, stay the course".'

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

So, from my view, we stay the course, continue to build the maturity of the roster, add those character leadership players in the off season and beyond. I'm very optimistic about this current teams future. I see an upward mobility in the standings in our immediate future.

What was your take at the end of last season?

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

What was your take at the end of last season?

I was highly optimistic on the team in general, although, the goaltending and lack of scoring from the blue line group was a concern. Like many, I expected the playoffs as well, but I won't turn a blind eye to the vast improvement in those areas I mentioned above. My resolve is in my thread title. I chose it to highlight that.

No amount of staying the course will change the complacent culture permeating this failed organization.

We need substantive change.  We need accountably at all levels of the organization. 

We need leaders in the clubhouse who will install a winning attitude in the players and accept nothing less.  To his credit KA thought Clifton and Johnson might help in that area, but to truly help in that area the player(s) need to be making significant contributions on the ice as well as in the locker-room.  Sadly, both UFAs failed on the ice, so no one cared what they said off the ice.  Think Teppo and Drury for good examples.  Finding a top 9 center who plays significant minutes and has a Cup or two would help.  

We need a stronger coach.  One that will bench star players when they don't give 100% each shift or call out the entire team when they fail to play hard from the opening puck drop again and again.  We also need better assist coaches.  We need a special teams coach and a forward coach who know what the hell their doing.  

We need a better GM or a team President who will fire the current GM if the team struggles out of the gate next season.  To be honest, I'm sick of our Howdy Doody GM and his lame excuses for being bad at his job.  The organization needs someone who knows how to build a championship roster as KA has not a clue.

We also need to hear from the darn owner.  He needs to come out and say that the team isn't living up to the standard he expects and if this continues next season heads will roll.

The off-season should be marked with two words: "Accountability & Winning."  No more with the plan and patient development.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

We’ve made so much progress that the team will have fewer points this year than last year.

You are what your record says you are.  This team has not progressed.

It is still entirely possible that this seasons team does not eclipse the lofty totals Dan Bylsma oversaw.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Chalk it up to Stockholm Syndrome.  

Posted this before, but Granato is 7th all time in most games coached with no playoff appearances.  Only 6 other teams in NHL history have been more patient with a coach's inability to lead his team to the playoffs.

Currently, Granato is the 6th longest tenured coach in the league. 26 teams have found reason to fire their coach since Granato took over in Buffalo.  Many of those coaches were fired after posting a better season than Granato did.

Not sure about the GM record, but my guess is that Adams is also high up on the playoff failure list.

It is not the norm for the fans of an NHL team to endure this level of ineptitude for this long from a coach or GM (not to mention from the overall franchise.

There is nothing new under the sun for another season of Adams and Granato.  

And this isn't coming from a place irrational impatience or hatred. By any NHL standard, Adams and Granato have worn out their welcome.

It's time to thank Adams and Granato for the pipeline and turn the team over to guys with a better plan on how to turn that pipeline into wins on a nightly basis.

How will Pegula manage to find these better candidates?  Same way he managed to hire Beane and McDermott.  Pure luck.  At this time though, I'm will to bet on pure luck over another season of Adams and Granato.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

.For as much as an overwhelming majority of the fan base want change, outside of maybe some asst. coaches, the roster is where that change will occur. There are real time improvements that have been made, and to not acknowledge them while our frustration grows just doesn't feel right.

1. Goaltending.......inside organizational growth has improved this position. No need to get in to the particulars, we all watch it.

2. Defensive corps.......improved, the 2nd half of season gaa says it all, and while it's a complete effort, the defense has improved.

3. Forward ranks........we all know the skill talent is there, need on ice leadership towards what some call grit, others call heart. For myself, it's called individual accountability from each player to dig down game after game to apply a full 60 min. effort. Leadership on the roster is critical for this in my opinion ad Donny can't throw on a jersey and join the in game action. Sure the coach can do some, make adjustments, hold players accountable, but it's the players that need to self police their own play imo.

Found Adam's burner account

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

f*ck, Kevyn, don't you have anything better to do?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Here's what I will offer ... in a vacuum, your post might not be so bad.

But the abstract truth, from where I sit, is that the team is not good enough. For whatever reason, it just isn't. This has probably happened to far better teams in the annals of sports history, but here we are.

On paper - we have strong goal tending, but it is unproven and this was really the first time UPL played this well. Maybe he is finally fully recovered from his hip surgeries, etc etc, but it could also be a one and done.

On paper - wow, our D! <pause for dick jokes> FIVE first round draft choices! TWO first overall!

On paper - ohhh that sweet sweet forward corps! Some big guys, some small skilled players, some determined role players! Hell yeah! Multiple former 40-goal scorers, slick passers, and some guys who know their way around the full 200' length of the ice. Oh, and the kids! Obviously we don't have any McDavids or Bedards, but krikey the skill sets on these youths is pretty impressive! Some of them were over a point-per-game in the A <pause for butt jokes> before coming up to The Show.

Our coach?! Man, Tage and Rasmus have really found their game under him. Saved their careers.

What did all of this get us? DeLuca 500, if we are lucky. 

OK - that was a bit sarcastic ... and I like the players (as the people I imagine they are), but it is like making a cake and thinking the taste is just off (last season), thinking "hmmm - lemme make that again, I must have used a pinch where I need a bit more", nope still not good (this season), and then making it ONE MORE TIME just to be really really sure the recipe is off. Our recipe is off, time to try something else. I think there are enough good things about the team that a few well-placed moves could have great results, but we can't simply run it back and hope it fixes itself 😞 

Edited by ska-T Chitown
fixed a "there" to a "their" and almost reported myself, lol
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

but it is like making a cake and thinking the taste is just off (last season), thinking "hmmm - lemme make that again, I must have used a pinch where I need a bit more", nope still not good (this season), and then making it ONE MORE TIME just to be really really sure the recipe is off. Our recipe is off, time to try something else. I think there are enough good things about the team that a few well-placed moves could have great results, but we can't simply run it back and hope it fixes itself 😞 

lol, I like the cake analogy. Problem is I think they mixed up the salt and the sugar and they haven't realized it yet. 

• Haha (+1) 1

A lot of the forwards on this team had career years last year and now this year regressed to the mean. Everybody thought the offense was figured out. It wasn’t. 

Now this year people think the goaltending problem is solved because UPL has had half a great season. He absolutely could regress back to the mean. There is no guarantee this is who he is going forward consistently. In fact, I’d highly bet against that. Would love to be wrong. 

Lesson to be learned is there was pretty much zero carry over from last years team to this years team, even though it was essentially the same group of players. All they have proven is they are inconsistent. Adams, if he’s still in charge in a few weeks, should not remotely think about standing pat.  Always look to improve the roster. Hopefully there will be at least 3-4 new faces in the lineup next year, and preferably 5-6. 

Edited by Billznut
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I expected more from ya'll in.......shall we say......counter-points.

Give a full 60.....slackers 🤣 

I, for one, like the Country Club atmosphere around here and don't want to do anything to jeopardize the free cucumber water in the lobby!

• Haha (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Billznut said:

A lot of the forwards on this team had career years last year and now this year regressed to the mean. Everybody thought the offense was figured out. It wasn’t. 

Now this year people think the goaltending problem is solved because UPL has had half a great season. He absolutely could regress back to the mean. There is no guarantee this is who he is going forward consistently. In fact, I’d highly bet against that. Would love to be wrong. 

Lesson to be learned is there was pretty much zero carry over from last years team to this years team, even though it was essentially the same group of players. All they have proven is they are inconsistent. Adams, if he’s still in charge in a few weeks, should not remotely think about standing pat.  Always look to improve the roster. Hopefully there will be at least 3-4 new faces in the lineup next year, and preferably 5-6. 

This is essentially correct except not "everybody" thought that and some "people" might think it's solved but definitely not all people. 

The team is definitely inconsistent. The consistency that is there however is the coaching. Granato needs to go along with all the assistants. I also think what they do in Rochester is wrong but that's another discussion. 

8 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I, for one, like the Country Club atmosphere around here and don't want to do anything to jeopardize the free cucumber water in the lobby!

Okay that's it. Time to swap that out for some pickle jiuce. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Things have sucked, and will suck, until they don’t. That’s it. That’s where we’re at. There’s no lower.

We just are. We are the Buffalo Sabres. 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Things have sucked, and will suck, until they don’t. That’s it. That’s where we’re at. There’s no lower.

This is deep.......thoughts, by Thorny.

Reminds of the day I saw Pegula skipping down the corridors at Key Bank posting these signs everywhere......

images (15).jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Sorry bud, I tried desperately to be positive about this team but if Granato's leading this bunch 1 more year I think they'll be ruined. They don't learn from mistakes, they play soft, we've literally heard now at least 2 interviews where they've said "we thought this was going to be easy", no motivation, the coach doesn't discipline, the practices are weak according to former players and you can see it come game time. If UPL is for real and JJ Peterka continue upwards that is the absolute best I can do for positivity if Granato is leading this ship into next season, Adams need replacing also but Granato has to go.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

We’ve made so much progress that the team will have fewer points this year than last year.

You are what your record says you are.  This team has not progressed.

It is still entirely possible that this seasons team does not eclipse the lofty totals Dan Bylsma oversaw.

Ugh.

Just,….  Ugh.

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yep.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that staying the course will yield anything different next year.

None, whatsoever.

Cue a tome by JohnC in 3,… 2,… 1,…

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1