End of 23/24 season msg from this fan......."steady as she goes, stay the course".

9 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's a bad one, for sure.

But apathy can be overcome by the rekindling of a love that still exists. 

I think actual contempt would be worse. I get flashes of that occasionally (e.g., "I think I effing hate this team"), but it's not a feeling that endures. I think that the presence of Peterka and Quinn help keep contempt at bay.

Any feeling like that from me (and I can’t say it’s been infrequent of late) is personnel based. From players to management to owners.

The crest endures. As a fan that’s our life preserver 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

The Sabres are not a good team. It should be noted that the Sabres are going to finish about where the pre-season models, based on talent and past-performance, had them finishing. I think there are experienced NHL coaches who could have squeezed more out of the team than Granato did, but I honestly think he got them to about the level that their talent, experience and make-up reasonably allowed. 

I don’t think Granato is the best coach to take them to the next level. A normal NHL team that is committed to winning with any degree of urgency would make a change. I could though, absolutely see Granato being successful in the short-term as a “breath of fresh air” mid-season replacement for a cup contending team that is underachieving with a hard-ass coach who has lost the room. 

Very salient 

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Any feeling like that from me (and I can’t say it’s been infrequent of late) is personnel based. From players to management to owners.

The crest endures. As a fan that’s our life preserver 

Yep. Players and coaches come and go. I root for the laundry.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:07 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

No amount of staying the course will change the complacent culture permeating this failed organization.

We need substantive change.  We need accountably at all levels of the organization. 

We need leaders in the clubhouse who will install a winning attitude in the players and accept nothing less.  To his credit KA thought Clifton and Johnson might help in that area, but to truly help in that area the player(s) need to be making significant contributions on the ice as well as in the locker-room.  Sadly, both UFAs failed on the ice, so no one cared what they said off the ice.  Think Teppo and Drury for good examples.  Finding a top 9 center who plays significant minutes and has a Cup or two would help.  

We need a stronger coach.  One that will bench star players when they don't give 100% each shift or call out the entire team when they fail to play hard from the opening puck drop again and again.  We also need better assist coaches.  We need a special teams coach and a forward coach who know what the hell their doing.  

We need a better GM or a team President who will fire the current GM if the team struggles out of the gate next season.  To be honest, I'm sick of our Howdy Doody GM and his lame excuses for being bad at his job.  The organization needs someone who knows how to build a championship roster as KA has not a clue.

We also need to hear from the darn owner.  He needs to come out and say that the team isn't living up to the standard he expects and if this continues next season heads will roll.

The off-season should be marked with two words: "Accountability & Winning."  No more with the plan and patient development.  

Or, we needed Levi quality goaltending from Comrie.

If we add in a healthy Tage and Quinn for the whole season, we are resting players right now.

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

The best thing is that the team already has the excuse of starting the season in Europe lined up when they get off to a 4-13 start and the season is over by Thanksgiving.

Our Sabres headlining an NHL promotional tour to start the next season?… Wouldn’t have been my choice unless we are at the end of a rotation selection system… As if our youngsters need the distraction of a quasi European vacation to getting off to a winning start.

• Agree 1