Sabres @ Dallas - Tuesday, April 9, 2024 - 8:00 PM (EDT)

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’m already discouraged for the 24-25 season.

Depends for me. If they do not fire Adams or at least Granato I will be discouraged. Then if they do not make significant deals or sign free agents, well then there won't be much point in caring and I will be discouraged as well. 

My discouragement will start the minute they use the word "patience" .

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This roster needs to be built with all dustin brown types... Big, Power forwards, who stand in front of the net and can't be moved. We have the exact opposites, all small , skilled forwards who are waiting for the power forwards to go in front of the net but they never do. Something has to give here because this is not going to work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just got home from the game.

Thoughts-

The Stars were the better team and after the first period it wasn't even close.  Once the Stars got the lead they made sure they played defense.  It wasn't even tough defense, they just got into position and waited for the Sabres to cough up the puck.

In contested pucks, the Sabres didn't seem interested in contesting them.

The power play was an embarrassment.

In other games there was always that hope the Sabres would tie it up and take it to overtime.  Not tonight, and it was obvious.

le sigh

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Believer said:

Don’t agree, @inkman… Adams got so caught up in his search for prospects with “high character” he neglected to select for players with “high competitiveness”… We only have a few on our roster… We are loaded with Wannabes… No hockey mind is going to fix this franchise without roster change.

We agree.  I suppose I did not say it as eloquently as you though. 🙂

6 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

This roster needs to be built with all dustin brown types... Big, Power forwards, who stand in front of the net and can't be moved. We have the exact opposites, all small , skilled forwards who are waiting for the power forwards to go in front of the net but they never do. Something has to give here because this is not going to work.

Dustin was barely 6’ 200”.   I agree they need players with his mindset but he’s smaller than 50% of the Sabres roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Thoughts-

The Stars were the better team and after the first period it wasn't even close.  Once the Stars got the lead they made sure they played defense.  It wasn't even tough defense, they just got into position and waited for the Sabres to cough up the puck.

In other games there was always that hope the Sabres would tie it up and take it to overtime.  Not tonight, and it was obvious.

le sigh

Yup. A basement level team vs the 2nd best team and it’s not hard to predict the outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

I’m just laughing at the Flyers. 

7-1 Montreal.  

Flyers need an Xs and Os coach apparently.  

In fact by 2024 NHL logic Torts should have been fired last week.  

According to Torts, we lost again, but we still have balls.  

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Dustin was barely 6’ 200”.   I agree they need players with his mindset but he’s smaller than 50% of the Sabres roster. 

The problem with the Sabres is not size.   It is experience and the way they play. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We don't. I wish ppl would stop saying this because it makes it sound like the problem is a simple solution of "get bigger". The Sabres have size, lots of it, but the important part of your post is that no one goes to the net and that isn't simply the realm of "power forwards". Everyone should be going to the net. However we have the worst coaches in the NHL and they don't demand anything of their team. In fact they ignore analytics and are dinosaurs bumbling their way around waiting for the meteor to take them out. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We don't. I wish ppl would stop saying this because it makes it sound like the problem is a simple solution of "get bigger". The Sabres have size, lots of it, but the important part of your post is that no one goes to the net and that isn't simply the realm of "power forwards". Everyone should be going to the net. However we have the worst coaches in the NHL and they don't demand anything of their team. In fact they ignore analytics and are dinosaurs bumbling their way around waiting for the meteor to take them out. 

Here’s hoping! 

Sad The End GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Thoughts-

le sigh

The Stars clearly play faster and with way more structure, they are the better coached team.  I didn't see the first 7 or 8 minutes but what I saw was more of the same from the Sabres.  The bottom 6 is very poor.   The defense does nothing to support UPL around the crease. 

The combination of Joker and Byram is especially soft.  

Does Bo Byram really look like a first pairing defenseman? That fantasy is over.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Yup. A basement level team vs the 2nd best team and it’s not hard to predict the outcome. 

I disagree.  The Sabres are fully capable of playing the game the Stars did last night.  They just don't bother.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I should have stated this but I was thinking more in the pipeline than on our actual roster now since some of these guys will be vacating like Victor Olofsson, Tyson Jost and Peyton Krebs (hopefully). Our players coming up will be Kulich 5'10", Savoie 5'9", Noah Östlund 5'11". None of the so called big players on our roster use the body or have any net presence whatsoever.

9 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I should have stated this but I was thinking more in the pipeline than on our actual roster now since some of these guys will be vacating like Victor Olofsson, Tyson Jost and Peyton Krebs (hopefully). Our players coming up will be Kulich 5'10", Savoie 5'9", Noah Östlund 5'11". None of the so called big players on our roster use the body or have any net presence whatsoever.

Jiri Kulich is 6'1" 185lbs.

Östlund is definitely slight. Savoie is small. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jiri Kulich is 6'1" 185lbs.

Östlund is definitely slight. Savoie is small. 

I just want a more physical team in general, I guess i just associate size with physicality, the years of seeing Eric Lindros getting blasted by Scott Stevens endlessly may have given me big man syndrome. 

3 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I just want a more physical team in general, I guess i just associate size with physicality, the years of seeing Eric Lindros getting blasted by Scott Stevens endlessly may have given me big man syndrome. 

Benson is very physical. 

Tage, Tuch, not so much but they are big. Greenway has done physicality, he's big. 

5 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don’t really understand what you mean in the bold. Lindros was significantly larger than Stevens, and both were physical players. 

• Agree 1

We are coached not to hit. And it seems getting to the net is an attitude problem with most in Sabres. 
Look at the Canucks goals against Vegas the other night. Garland, and EP40 camping out in front of the crease. Garland with two goals from the paint. It’s an attitude and they’re not coached to do it. And if they are then the message has not resonated with the players. Aside from Benson.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The hardest choices require the strongest will

Infinity War Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

For decades it's been a universal truth:  When the Sabres skate hard and don't give up on the puck, they succeed.  When they don't they fail.  We've seen examples of it even this season, but not consistently enough to win... consistently.

I think it was time for Lindy to go the first time around, but I think he could up the Sabres game with the current roster.

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

For decades it's been a universal truth:  When the Sabres skate hard and don't give up on the puck, they succeed.  When they don't they fail.  We've seen examples of it even this season, but not consistently enough to win... consistently.

I think it was time for Lindy to go the first time around, but I think he could up the Sabres game with the current roster.

We had fragile children with Lindy.  No coach puts this team in the playoffs without a few veteran additions.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm confused... do we want lindros?  Because he was the big guy here 🙂 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

0 interest in Ruff. None. Find someone better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Benson is very physical. 

Tage, Tuch, not so much but they are big. Greenway has done physicality, he's big. 

I can see the guys you listed along with some others buying into a physical game but they need someone to lead it.  On the front end and backend.  I know it’s not your preference but give me 3 or 4 guys that deck people and the Billy’s will buy in.  

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'm confused... do we want lindros?  Because he was the big guy here 🙂 

Yes I just meant I miss those days, I want a whole roster of Lindros and Steven’s types, come on people it’s really not that difficult to figure out.