Sabres @ Dallas - Tuesday, April 9, 2024 - 8:00 PM (EDT)

36 minutes ago, inkman said:

I can see the guys you listed along with some others buying into a physical game but they need someone to lead it.  On the front end and backend.  I know it’s not your preference but give me 3 or 4 guys that deck people and the Billy’s will buy in.  

At this point, couldn't hurt. 

37 minutes ago, inkman said:

I can see the guys you listed along with some others buying into a physical game but they need someone to lead it.  On the front end and backend.  I know it’s not your preference but give me 3 or 4 guys that deck people and the Billy’s will buy in.  

Boys autocorrected to Billy’s 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, rickshaw said:

We are coached not to hit. And it seems getting to the net is an attitude problem with most in Sabres. 
Look at the Canucks goals against Vegas the other night. Garland, and EP40 camping out in front of the crease. Garland with two goals from the paint. It’s an attitude and they’re not coached to do it. And if they are then the message has not resonated with the players. Aside from Benson.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we are coached not to hit but I'd guess it is far from emphasized to finish checks. My guess is most of the players are effectively coached to not "chase hits" or potentially hurt their positioning. Additionally I don't think hitting holds anyplace in Granato's strategy specifically. Unlike Vancouver who said they run around hitting people the first 10 minutes purposely.

All hits by Sabres players tend to be either personality/emotionally driven or inadvertent. Thompson is an emotional hitter, you see it when he's angry or desperate. Dahlin both has a persona that likes to hit as well as a tendency to hit with emotional motives but not not exclusively in that regard. His running over of two guys at the end of the Detroit game were emotional where as his typical hits are more just his way of playing. Clifton hits a lot because he likes to hit; for him no emotion is needed for him to get pleasure causing pain. Tuch is in a very similar place as Thompson only he'll hit people more naturally due to his style of play.   

On 4/10/2024 at 4:10 PM, GoPuckYourself said:

Yes I just meant I miss those days, I want a whole roster of Lindros and Steven’s types, come on people it’s really not that difficult to figure out.

Yeah i'm cool not running a neutral zone trap team.  It was boring back then, and less effective today with an emphasis on player safety, holding, and the trapezoid.