GDT / Maple Leafs @ Buffalo Sabres Saturday March 30th, 7pm / MSG ESPN+ & WGR Radio

15 minutes ago, Believer said:

I would trade or package Power in a skinny minute while he still has people fooled and retains high value.

I’d like to see if Ottawa would take him and a center prospect for Brady Tkachuk.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Cozens is all heart and this is hurting him and his pride. But I don’t see him being the type to just keep accepting this. He will try to improve. I believe that. His vocal fry, however, belongs on the bachelor. 

Insaid it in another thread but when Sergei Gonchar offers advice to a Quinn Hughes, his resume dictates that he should be listened to and respected. Matt Ellis commands absolutely nothing. 

As for Byram I’m not so sure he will bolt so soon but it could mean Power is moved for other pieces.

Cozens needs to seriously gain strength and weight this off-season.  He needs to be able to physically play harder than his skinny body allows right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Cozens needs to seriously gain strength and weight this off-season.  He needs to be able to physically play harder than his skinny body allows right now.

and so does Power, Thompson, Peterka, Quinn, Benson....really just about all of them

and while we are at it how about some "Heart" transplants for the fellas.....

Edited by KC Scouts
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the talk at the exit meetings should center around getting stronger for sure. Thompson is 6’7” but plays like he is a foot shorter. Cozens needs to get bigger for sure. Power too. 💯 agree on that sentiment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

probably so, but they gave Power an 8 year deal when he was 20, and they knew Dahlin was up too. 

What if he does not sign it, they suck again next season, and he wants out so he gets moved at the deadline?  

I was one of the ones that wanted him done long-term but it looks really really bad .

I'm hoping it's the coaching that has ***** him up though 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Kinda feels like it,… even though it was over a long time ago.

lol stop. If we win next game you know this place will be in “we back” mode. Today was a “this franchise is an embarrassment” day. The 180 every win / loss is legit hilarious 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I was one of the ones that wanted him done long-term but it looks really really bad .

Yup.  Me too. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

It's largely coaching IMO. How have so many players' performances fallen right off a cliff this season? Did everybody just have career seasons last year? All in the same season? Power can play. He showed it for long stretches last season, and briefer glimpses this. I don't think he has anybody pushing him right now. He doesn't have a coach getting on his ass for mistakes. He's still a kid, he needs to be molded. What these guys have is a country club. Nobody is getting on their ***** for nimrod mistakes. Nobody is getting on their ass for just gliding around the ice for long stretches...or entire ***** games. Too many games this season we've seen a team that looked either disinterested or scared. Get a good, experienced hard-nosed coach in here like Gallant or Berube, or (God willing) Brind'Amour, and watch these guys bounce back and play into May next year.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's not the individual players imo it's the (bad) system and the coaching along with the full immersion development plan. When you critique Power (still a kid) or Byram for that matter or any of the rest of the D stop and consider Brandon Montour. 

This team and this franchise f's players up and they almost all get worse when they come here and are better when they leave and get proper coaching. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not the individual players imo it's the (bad) system and the coaching along with the full immersion development plan. When you critique Power (still a kid) or Byram for that matter or any of the rest of the D stop and consider Brandon Montour. 

This team and this franchise f's players up and they almost all get worse when they come here and are better when they leave and get proper coaching. 

Take a look at the player Sam became when he got shipped out. Linus Ullmark goes to a team with a winning culture and a sound system and wins a Vezina. The list goes on...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Here’s one good quote 

At least Cozens appears to understand the fans’ point of view. Makes me wonder which players got their feelings hurt over the fire Donny chants.

Really hoping Cozens has a rebound season next year. He’s not great at fighting but is one of only a couple willing to stick up for himself.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Believer said:

I would trade or package Power in a skinny minute while he still has people fooled and retains high value.

Power is a quasi bust. Definitely an NHL caliber defenseman but more of five or six guy IMO. Slow, average offensive IQ, average puck handling. When Dahlin had his struggles you could tell there was another level. That is non existent with OP.

Agreed there is a misperception of his talent and ceiling. If that hypothetical trade doesn’t happen soon his contract will be an issue.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

2 hours ago, Believer said:

imho, one of the worst takes I've ever seen on this forum

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

14 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Power is a quasi bust. Definitely an NHL caliber defenseman but more of five or six guy IMO. Slow, average offensive IQ, average puck handling. When Dahlin had his struggles you could tell there was another level. That is non existent with OP.

Agreed there is a misperception of his talent and ceiling. If that hypothetical trade doesn’t happen soon his contract will be an issue.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, pi2000 said:

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Power is not a top four dman. He continues to get sucked into chasing. He acts like the fourth forward too often then gets stuck down low. He does not demonstrate any vision for playmaking beyond basic awareness. Meaning he sees where everyone is at but does not seem able to anticipate how a play will develop. 

He’s an NHL caliber defenseman but not a top four. I was hopeful at one point. To get better KA needs to be realistic with what he has.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rickshaw said:

Power with the right coach will be just fine. He’s a child. He needs time. 

Only he’s not a child and he has played a lot in the last three years. NHLer for sure, just not a top four. Not sure why it’s hard to accept. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

Here’s one good quote 

What’s sad is I had to check to date to see if this was from last year. People around here became so enamored so quickly with Dylan. I don’t see it at all. He comes off as such a sad sack. 

So tired of the same old same old...even I have to admit that this is getting really sad. I am generally a positive person and have tried to stay positive while most others breath hate and negative talk here but I am starting to think that if they do not make some sheious changes over the summer then we can truthfully say that this is a 100% complete mess. I do not think that even though they are in fact the youngest team in the league, that time will suddenly transform them into a playoff team. They clearly need help behind the bench and on the ice. I know that most of you hate most of the team but the fact is there is talent here that a good coach would have a good time turning around rather quickly. Please do not try to tell me that Philly has more talent on their roster. Not even close...but they have Torts...

Edited by sabrefanday1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Power with the right coach will be just fine. He’s a child. He needs time. 

Respect your opinion @rickshaw but disagree… A coach can develop Power’s hockey IQ and position skills… Time can’t fix Power’s basic personality… Power avoids confrontation especially when confrontation is called for… ie in setting the tone early with a big hit or defending a teammate. He lacks the in-your-face gene of a top NHL D… Can’t train it… His strengths can be replaced. Trade him now for high value. Get pieces with grit and playoff experience we need.

I’ve been saying for it for years, the Sabres need a veteran forward or 2 on the team who can score 30 goals and get physical. Can’t win with a bunch of soft 25 year olds. They look like a bunch of cats in a cat fight 

We need a Getzlaf, Thornton, Iginla type player. Make a few trades. We have prospects and picks and young players galore 

Edited by OverPowerYou
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Only he’s not a child and he has played a lot in the last three years. NHLer for sure, just not a top four. Not sure why it’s hard to accept. 

He is 21. He absolutely is a child. It’ll be at least three years, minimum, before he will only start to be what he will become. 

56 minutes ago, Believer said:

Respect your opinion @rickshaw but disagree… A coach can develop Power’s hockey IQ and position skills… Time can’t fix Power’s basic personality… Power avoids confrontation especially when confrontation is called for… ie in setting the tone early with a big hit or defending a teammate. He lacks the in-your-face gene of a top NHL D… Can’t train it… His strengths can be replaced. Trade him now for high value. Get pieces with grit and playoff experience we need.

It can be coached into him. Again, he is 21.

I’m way more worried about resting the fate of our team on our ”#1 center” who still tries to stick handle through 4 players at 26 rather than just make a pass to an open guy. Tage can be brutal to watch.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

This is his second full season, do not count the year he left the ncaa to play 9 games.  

We get it, you don’t like him.  He is frustrating at times.  But he is 21 and playing a position that takes time and patience.  

You obviously cannot tell the difference from top 4 and 5/6/7.   So you don’t see his puck handling and passing skills?   Seriously, the entire NHL Scouting community had him at the top tier of the draft and you see him as a 3rd pair.   If he was a 3rd pair talent at 21 he would still be in Rochester.   

Trade him now, at the first year of his new contract, and you will get the absolute minimum in return,  trading him now is devaluating him.   Other GMs will line up and fleece the Sabres, it would be similar to the ROR trade.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1