no  you don't 

Top Teams in the league 3rd line wingers

Canucks  Mikheyek 30pts   Lafferty 23 Points

Hurricanes    Martinhook   27 pts

Coloarado   Miles Wood   24pts

Panthers   Luostarinen   22Pts

Rangers   Cuylle  20pts    Kakko  14pts

Jets   Niederreiter  33pts    Appleton   33 pts

How doesn't he play like he is 6'6? you need a well rounded team not a bunch of scorers. I'm sorry but, in my books, he is a big part of next years squad.  For my 3rd line I would take him all day over Skinner.

Over Skinner absolutely.  And I meant 30-40 point winger on a Cup team.  

I don’t think he plays like he’s 6-6 230 no.  Not consistently enough.  

I guess if our top 2 lines were producing we can live with his lack of offense.  But he shouldn’t be getting 17 plus minutes a night.  

Those are top 6 minutes. 

38 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I think Tage is the 1C on this team right now today - look at his role, his pay, and his ice time - on this team.   I never used the words "TRUE 1C" because I don't know what a "TRUE 1C" is - it appears to be a subjective term that apparently changes from team to team and year to year.  If you are referring to McDavid and McKinnon as the definition of a true 1C then say that.    In that case, there are 5 to 10 players in that category and some of those names change from year to year.  What is Draisaitl?  A two 2C+ or a 1C-?  

Tage was a 1C last year, but not this year?  Is that your claim?  Ok, fine, maybe next year he will score 45 and you will put him in the 1C club again? 

Mitts has nothing to do with this either.  Yes, he was our best center this season, in a year when Tage and Cozens both had injuries and off years.  So what, Mitts is gone.   

The only point worth discussing is in your first sentence,  it would be great if we can acquire a center that pushed Tage to 2C.   First, I guess you do think Tage is a 1C if you want to push him to 2C?    Of course, make that trade Adams!   Good luck with that.  

Cogent and logical.   

To add to your point (I think?), Draisaitl may be the 3rd best center in the world. I consider only McDavid and McKinnon to be better. Is Draisaitl not considered a 1C because he happens to be on the same team as McDavid, even though he'd be a 1C on 30 other teams? Seems pretty subjective. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You've triggered me. I just don't know if I have the strength to explain why.

In a nutshell can we focus on developing a team instead of discrete individuals? Can we get a coach whose chops aren't development and knows how to win enough games to make the freakin NHL playoffs?

I don't care what's best for Jack Quinn or Devon Levi.

I’m glad you found the strength to nutshell it. 😂 

I understand why attentive Sabre fans would get triggered by player development talk when the team’s season is over in March (again).

But I still see this as a both/and situation - not an “instead of” (either/or).

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I have to think and I am HOPEFUL that the scoring drought he has this year is due to playing through a wrist injury (and maybe a foot injury) as the type of player he is, the way he shoots, even a little wrist/arm injury could impact him a lot.

I haven't checked the up-to-date numbers, but I posted a lot post on this a couple weeks ago.  His shots per game are about the same this year vs last year. Deep dive into where his shots are coming from, and he was getting 'about' the same quality chances. His ice time is similar.  The ONE thing that is different is his shooting percentage is down 5% compared to last year and the year before.  A guy who shots like he does, it would make sense (to me) that playing through an arm/wrist injury would cause that.

Austin Matthews played through a nagging arm/wrist injury (similar to what Tage had earlier this year) and it never fully healed for him in the offseason.  The year he had the injury, Matthews had about the same number of shots as his prior years (like Tage) but his shooting percentage was about 30% lower (just like Tage). With an offseason to let it fully heal, he came back the next year to the same (actually slightly better) scoring pace that he had the previous years.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Cogent and logical.   

I remember who it was, now.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

8-10 games before a 6 month break from regular season hockey won't make an impact on a player with 94 career NHL games. He may not even feel like he has his legs back underneath him before the season ends. 

My quick $0.02 is that this move is to help protect Donnie and Kevyn by trying to see if they can use Quinn to get as close to 91 points more so than they believe they are helping Jack out

Every game counts. Pro players - most of them anyway - live and love to train and compete.

The team deserves this level of cynicism, I guess. I just see it as the team welcoming back a top young player who’s fully recovered and ready to play. And, sure, the team will be looking to win as many games/points as possible until there are no games left to play.

It is a huge bummer to consider that another season of mediocrity could somehow justify keeping KA and DG around.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Every game counts. Pro players - most of them anyway - live and love to train and compete.

The team deserves this level of cynicism, I guess. I just see it as the team welcoming back a top young player who’s fully recovered and ready to play. And, sure, the team will be looking to win as many games/points as possible until there are no games left to play.

It is a huge bummer to consider that another season of mediocrity could somehow justify keeping KA and DG around.

Oh totally, of course JQ wants to skate, compete, and play. 

I was mostly responding to the posts that said Quinn was playing because of some legitimate value add to his career. That these games would be somehow impactful to his progression. 

They won’t. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Oh totally, of course JQ wants to skate, compete, and play. 

I was mostly responding to the posts that said Quinn was playing because of some legitimate value add to his career. That these games would be somehow impactful to his progression. 

They won’t. 

Maybe maybe not but they absolutely will give him something to build on going in to 2024 most importantly the confidence and that it won’t have been 9 months since his last game when we start in October.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

They won’t. 

I disagree. You want the guy getting back to top form. Getting some NHL games in before the offseason arrives can only help that process.

35 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Maybe maybe not but they absolutely will give him something to build on going in to 2024 most importantly the confidence and that it won’t have been 9 months since his last game when we start in October.  

34 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I disagree. You want the guy getting back to top form. Getting some NHL games in before the offseason arrives can only help that process.

Under normal circumstances in most sports, including hockey, if a player as a 2 month long injury with surgery they normally don’t go from zero team participation, to 100% practice practice and playing in a game all within 24 hours. 

So for me this isn’t just about the last 10 games. It’s the timeline of injury, first practice, 100% practice, to playing in a game. Had Quinn come back two weeks ago and been skating with the team, sure, I get it. 

You can’t talk about Quinn playing the last 10 games without talking about the entire timeline. In that context I just don’t see the value for the player.  

Edited by Mango
Phrasing

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Under normal circumstances in most sports, including hockey, if a player as a 2 month long injury with surgery they normally don’t go from zero team participation, to 100% practice practice and playing in a game all within 24 hours. 

So for me this isn’t just about the last 10 games. It’s the timeline of injury, first practice, 100% practice, to playing in a game. Had Quinn come back two weeks ago and been skating with the team, sure, I get it. 

You can’t talk about Quinn playing the last 10 games without talking about the entire timeline. In that context I just don’t see the value for the player.  

Well, now you're onto contentions other than the ones I was debating. I understand you as saying that the player's being rushed back and his rehab is being mismanaged (and his future imperiled?) in service of trying to get this team close to 91 points and in an effort to save the jobs of KA and DG.

I can't get there. And if that were somehow the case, I'd probably have to light myself on fire.

on fire loop GIF by Walter Newton

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Why did you have to go and make all sorts of sense?

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

He lost his love of the game in Toronto, being behind the BIG FOUR.

He found his love for the game gown here in Nashville, and we're happy to have him!

Honestly, I'm assuming being in Nashville puts more money in his pocket than staying in Toronto, and that's the biggest reason he's here. 

23 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Well, hopefully it works out anyway. I agree JJP looked good with TNT, though 

It's not that Cozens Quinn Peterka was/is a terrible idea it just seems to me they can't decide what they want and Cozens keeps getting asked to be different things rather than focusing on him being one good thing. He has shown signs of being capable of being a 2 way player and shutdown guy and his PK with Greenway has looked good so isn't it time we decided yes, he's now our ROR (roughly speaking) our 2 way 2C and let's make him that and place him on the best version of that line we can? Or is he our 2C offensive guy again making plays for scoring wingers? It's like they can't decide and to me it's dumb. Trading Mitts contributes to that hole on the roster. If Krebs is their plan for 2 way shutdown center we are in trouble. 

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Quinn was skating a week or so before the roundtrip IIRC

On 3/26/2024 at 3:13 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Granato really stuck on that Peterka-Cozens-Quinn idea isn't he. 

Peterka was looking good with Thompson and Tuch and Greenway paired with Cozens was a solid 2 way combo but whatever, they are stuck on their vision of the future. have at it. 

Well, looks like JJP is going to stay with Tuch and Thompson after all! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

How did our savior look?  Is it time to start carving the statue?

It was eerily similar to his first game back in the lineup this season after the Achilles' injury (9-4 trouncing by Columbus). The team was happy to have him back and... promptly disappeared.

Odd stat outlier: Quinn has 3GP v. Ottawa this season and is -8 with 1 assist.

15 GP 5-6-11 and +6 against everyone else.

• Like (+1) 1