Will Buffalo be a good place to see the total eclipse of the sun?

PASabreFan

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This dummy thought that was the sun 

That's why I use small words in my explanations 😉 

This is the best shot I got of totality

20240408_134031.thumb.jpg.e0a762fd74d763d67f898ca2b416cbee.jpg

And this was just before totality.  You can see a tiny piece of crescent through the clouds.

image.thumb.png.fe2adcd385988b820f937c87578b31c7.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Not totality here, but 95% the darkness and coolness was very noticeable.

Everything outside went greyish. The trees and everything.

It is noticeable brighter again now and the colours are normal.

In 30 minutes it will be over.

Kind of neat looking out my bathroom window facing away from the sun.

I am running out of things to do in here, though.

• Haha (+1) 1

Did my 3rd of my 4 day 7pm to 7am shift last night. Needless to say, I wasn't coherent when my wife and daughter decided I should be up at 3pm for what I now call, the instant storm cloud event.

They did manage to stave off capital punishment by at least having a freshly brewed cup of Joe at the ready. I was prepared to hand down lengthy sentences, my wife knows me to well...... 🤣 

Edited by Scottysabres

Prouty Beach, Newport, VT. 90 minutes east of Burlington. Right next to the Canadian border.

The sun was behind a very high, very thin translucent cloud. Probably 95% or more clear. It was 100% up until about 3 o’clock. It only caused minor scattering in the direct vicinity of the sun.

IMG_3229.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg

IMG_3240.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My phone picture is terrible, but I didn’t go into this trying to get a good picture. The sun and sky looked like every classic total eclipse you’ve seen in any picture.

Viewed it from the Buffalo Outer Harbor and even though the sun only poked thru for a few minutes here and there, it was a fantastic experience. Neil De Grasse Tyson said to have a clear view of the horizon to really appreciate how the darkness rolls in and he was right. It came in off the lake and just enveloped us in darkness, while off in the distance it looked like a pink and orange sunset. Again, the clouds made it less than optimal, but it was worth every second of the experience. 

• Like (+1) 2

Made a fairly last minute call to hightail it as far west as we could reasonably get from Buffalo. Landed at a charming lakefront park in Northeast, PA. Bluebird conditions arose 30+ minutes before the big show and lasted until just after totality ended (complete with the “diamond ring” effect). 

I hooted. Hollered. Cried. Kissed my wife. Kissed my dog (?!). Might have kissed a stranger or two. I blacked out a little.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I will try to post the audio file that one of my kids created from just before and then early in totality — maybe I can post it to YouTube. The bedlam from our crowd of a couple hundred was unlike anything I’ve ever heard. Ecstasy.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I met people from/staying in Olean, Bradford, and a point in between (Limestone-ish). I wish you and I had crossed paths as well.

We did. I'm the one you slipped the tongue.

To my angst about the forecast. The whole rapid clearing west to east was talked about so late. I actually picked it up on the cloud imaging site Don Paul was pushing. I will temper my bum epithet and just say they have a challenging job but dropped the ball.

With a tiny bit more advanced warning I would have gone straight to Erie ish.

That said, it's corny but things happen for a reason sometimes. I hung out with a grandpa and two little ones who started out from Harrisburg and ended up in that Walmart lot. Very heartwarming.

I don't know who he voted for nor did I care. Events like this show us how much more we have in common. Not sure it will move the needle of division, but it's nice to be reminded.

Also... Clouds are cool.

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

We did. I'm the one you slipped the tongue.

To my angst about the forecast. The whole rapid clearing west to east was talked about so late. I actually picked it up on the cloud imaging site Don Paul was pushing. I will temper my bum epithet and just say they have a challenging job but dropped the ball.

With a tiny bit more advanced warning I would have gone straight to Erie ish.

That said, it's corny but things happen for a reason sometimes. I hung out with a grandpa and two little ones who started out from Harrisburg and ended up in that Walmart lot. Very heartwarming.

I don't know who he voted for nor did I care. Events like this show us how much more we have in common. Not sure it will move the needle of division, but it's nice to be reminded.

Also... Clouds are cool.

He voted for Mondale and still hasn't lived down the loss.

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Pretty sad out here on the west coast. Rainy gray day, didn't even change the darkness level. Just another gray day.

Must be tough living on the west coast. I’m assuming the weather there is warm year round unless you’re the pacific north west 

32 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Must be tough living on the west coast. I’m assuming the weather there is warm year round unless you’re the pacific north west 

Price we pay for basically no winter. Summers are dry and sunny and quite long but usually not too hot so it balances out. The ocean breeze can be like outdoor AC. 

We in NH were fortunate to have a clear, perfect spring day today for the eclipse. But I still had to drive to Lyndonville VT to experience totality. It was 4 hours there. I got to Lyndonville with two hours to spare. Then I bugged out as soon as the eclipse ended and it only took 3 hours to get back.

IMG_20240408_184645.jpg

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We in NH were fortunate to have a clear, perfect spring day today for the eclipse. But I still had to drive to Lyndonville VT to experience totality. It was 4 hours there. I got to Lyndonville with two hours to spare. Then I bugged out as soon as the eclipse ended and it only took 3 hours to get back.

IMG_20240408_184645.jpg

How do you make it to buffalo so much ?

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I too was frustrated by this. But as someone here noted upthread: The precise timing of cloud cover is most likely not something the Wx scientists focus on, or have means of predicting in advance.

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Good stuff. I get the sense there were many stories like this throughout the path of totality — cool clouds and all.