Will Buffalo be a good place to see the total eclipse of the sun?

PASabreFan

This will be the second time I’m in the path of totality. It’s fantastic. It was overcast where I was last time and it was still an incredible experience. 

My advice—however big of a deal you think this is, it’s 10x larger. If you have plans to go somewhere, get there earlier than you think you need. 

In 2018 we tried camping off the blue ridge parkway and were kicked out from our spot at around 1100 PM because NPS “wanted everyone a shot at a spot,” along with maybe 20 others. We returned at 4AM and there was probably a crowd of 50 and most of the parking spots were full. 
IMG_0830.thumb.jpeg.af51b12cd0e50eb34bd1bac278118076.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

I recently went to the Planetarium at Buff St. to see a film and lecture presentation on it.  I'll just go out on my deck with the glasses. We are dead center in the path but how clear the skies are that day is nothing but a guess. Hotels are sold out and traffic will be a nightmare before and after. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Better chance of clear skies near the lake? Is this a thing?

The lake breeze line or lake shadow is a thing.  It creates localized weather.  Essentially, moist air off the lakes converge with dry air over land and convection can form.  It is a secondary weather generator.  I’d avoid areas where this convergence occurs if the weather is conducive to lake breeze weather patterns setting up.

Ive already gone past my Holiday Inn staying limits so you should get more info from someone smarter than me.  I bet the NWS website will have viewing forecasts as it gets closer.

• Like (+1) 1

Cloud streets are a real thing around water. Just hope that it's near normal temps, or warmer on Apr 8th. If cooler air is blowing across lake Erie, it could be cloudy out around the lakeshore, but total blue skies 5-10 miles inland. 

Yes, I'm a weather nerd. I have a wide open view of the sky from my driveway, and I'm inland. Just praying for good weather. I'll be in a lawn chair just chilling. Won't be drinking though. I have imaging and a stress test on the 9th. If you're in the Rochester area, hit me up. I got plenty of veiwing space.

In ROC, Schools are off that day, employers advising work from home, and hotels have been sold out for months.  Even Wegmans is “closing” for 30 min so their employees can view. I’ll be volunteering that morning the Rochester Museum & Science Center…and planning to ride my bike to avoid traffic.   

I'm driving 2 hours up to Vermont to be in the path of totality. Please be clear.

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

April 8th. Sposed to last like 5 hours, but 3:00-3:30 is gonna be the peak time. 

Totality only lasts 2-3 minutes, depending how close to the center of the path you are. Buffalo and Rochester are both dead center.

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm driving 2 hours up to Vermont to be in the path of totality. Please be clear.

Totality only lasts 2-3 minutes, depending how close to the center of the path you are. Buffalo and Rochester are both dead center.

Yes. I know northern Vermont is pretty close to the path too. I hope you get a good show. I'm just praying for good weather. 

From astronomy.com...

One of the more intriguing aspects of the satellite cloud measurements is the presence of fewer clouds along the south shore of Lakes Erie and Ontario. This reduction — as much as 15 percent — is due to the influence of the lakes, which suppress the formation of convective clouds along their south shores when cold winds blow from the north. Clouds form when the ground is warmed, but the air must travel a short distance inland before the warming takes hold. The effect is quite limited, as the map shows, and so eclipse watchers should also watch the weather and head for the lakes’ shores if that cold flow is forecast. This pattern greatly favors Cleveland, and Buffalo and Rochester, New York, as eclipse-viewing sites....

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

From astronomy.com...

One of the more intriguing aspects of the satellite cloud measurements is the presence of fewer clouds along the south shore of Lakes Erie and Ontario. This reduction — as much as 15 percent — is due to the influence of the lakes, which suppress the formation of convective clouds along their south shores when cold winds blow from the north. Clouds form when the ground is warmed, but the air must travel a short distance inland before the warming takes hold. The effect is quite limited, as the map shows, and so eclipse watchers should also watch the weather and head for the lakes’ shores if that cold flow is forecast. This pattern greatly favors Cleveland, and Buffalo and Rochester, New York, as eclipse-viewing sites....

Yup, lake shadow/ lake breeze line.

7 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Looking forward to this. Living near Boston, I have to drive a few hours to be in position, but there won't be another chance to see totality anywhere near here until 2079.

2079?

KA has joined the chat.

• Haha (+1) 4

18 hours ago, Weave said:

The lake breeze line or lake shadow is a thing.  It creates localized weather.  Essentially, moist air off the lakes converge with dry air over land and convection can form.  It is a secondary weather generator.  I’d avoid areas where this convergence occurs if the weather is conducive to lake breeze weather patterns setting up.

Comedy Central Summer GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

20 hours ago, #freejame said:

This will be the second time I’m in the path of totality. It’s fantastic. It was overcast where I was last time and it was still an incredible experience. 

My advice—however big of a deal you think this is, it’s 10x larger. If you have plans to go somewhere, get there earlier than you think you need. 

In 2018 we tried camping off the blue ridge parkway and were kicked out from our spot at around 1100 PM because NPS “wanted everyone a shot at a spot,” along with maybe 20 others. We returned at 4AM and there was probably a crowd of 50 and most of the parking spots were full. 
IMG_0830.thumb.jpeg.af51b12cd0e50eb34bd1bac278118076.jpeg

Where did you get kicked out on the Parkway?  I worked there for 11 years and don't recall kicking out anyone named "#freejame"?  😃 

Then again, I did retire in 2016...

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

Where did you get kicked out on the Parkway?  I worked there for 11 years and don't recall kicking out anyone named "#freejame"?  😃 

Then again, I did retire in 2016...

We were at Devils Courthouse in the Andrews area. I used to live right off the parkway in blowing rock as well, I’m not sure what area you were working.