Do we have a single prospect that will be any good next year?

JoeSchmoe

If you use Peterka and Quinn as benchmarks to how prospects from the AHL graduate into the NHL, it can tell us something.

JJP was basically a ppg in his Draft+1 AHL season. Quinn was 1.35ppg. Both struggled with their 200ft game in their rookie NHL seasons.

Kulich is 0.78ppg at the same age, Rosen is 0.64 and he's a year older. Neither one are close to JJP or JQ trajectory.  How do we expect they are going to be much help next year. Is there something else in their games that doesn't show up on the scoresheet? As of right now (not going into the 23-24 season) do either one of the project out to be 1st or 2nd line players? If not, we need to move them.

Noah Ostland is 0.6ppg in the SHL. It's a low scoring league, but that still sounds too low to be able to make the jump to the NHL, especially with him being small. Is that right?

The only hope I have is Savoie. He's pretty much at the top of the WHL for ppg. My concern though is he's too small to be very impactful next year. I'm thinking he's probably a Benson 2.0 level player. Thoughts? I think it might take a while, but he could still have top 1 or 2 line potential. 

Long story short though is we need to start trading some of these guys for NHL ready players in the offseason. Otherwise, I don't have much hope in breaking the non-playoff streak next year. 

Edited by JoeSchmoe

I will say no. They may pot a few goals like Benson, because they do have the skill, but they will get smashed and destroyed playing against men. We already have a team full of them. I would fire up the phones and start using some of these assets before we lose them for bags of pucks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I share the OP's concern.  From the limited NHL action we've seen from these guys, as well as their AHL stats, I'm not convinced that any of them are ready to step in at the NHL level next season and make much of an impact.  They may all be great prospects that will have successful NHL careers, but I don't see any of them making the Sabres' roster better in 2024-25.  Can any of these guys bring more to the roster NEXT SEASON than Olofsson, Skinner, Jost, or Girgensons?  Longer-term, yes, but next season?  If the Sabres are going to become a playoff team next season, some of those prospects need to be moved in exchange for veterans who CAN bring more than Olofsson, Skinner, Jost, etc.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• JoeSchmoe changed the title to Do we have a single prospect that will be any good next year?

Absolutely.

With Mitts and KO gone, there will be an opportunity.

Who exactly that will be in is impossible to predict, but there will be plenty of horses in the stable to choose from.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Absolutely.

With Mitts and KO gone, there will be an opportunity.

Who exactly that will be in is impossible to predict, but there will be plenty of horses in the stable to choose from.

The question was, are any of them going to be any good?

Magic 8 Ball GIF by Jim Gaffigan

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Nobody's ready imo and I wouldn't be surprised if Benson steps backwards and has a rocky up and down road for a years much like Mitts had. Probably doesn't take quite a s long as Mitts did, but the discussion next year might be should he go to Rochester. 

Johnson would be the only maybe unless you add Levi who is also a maybe but not really ready either. Sabres will probably use him as UPL's back up though. 

The additions to the current line up will be Quinn and Samuelsson. 

• Like (+1) 1

The truth is we don't want or need any of these players to graduate next season.  Besides Levi, Savoie and Novikov have the best opportunity to see NHL time next season.

The goal for next year should be get to and win in the playoffs.  Development of prospects should be taking place in Rochester and not in the NHL

• Like (+1) 2

I agree that Levi and Johnson can contribute at the NHL level next season (based on the fact that they already have and are playing well in Rochester).  Beyond that, I don't think that Rosen, Kulich, Savoie (in juniors) or anyone else in the pipeline will be ready to make a major contribution, displacing a JAG veteran player, next season.  With UPL playing well, the addition of Byrum, and the improvement of Bryson and Jokiharju, those 2 guys will be nice to have, but won't necessarily move the needle.  The team needs forwards who can add more to the mix in '24-'25 than what the team currently has.  I just don't see it in the pipeline.

Edited by msw2112

Rochester Help:

Levi is the best prospect and he may come in and help the team next season as the #2.  I doubt Adams brings in anther goalie given his past practices.  

Ryan Johnson is next and a possible 6/7.   Dahlin/Bryam,  Power/ <Big tough solid guy> ,  Muel/Clifton.   We can trade Joker and Johnson can be the 7th guy.  

Rosen/Kulich are the next but I doubt they are ready and were do they fit?  Neither are 4th line guys.  

Savoie and Ostund should play in Rochester and develop their games. 

Biro/Rousek are tweener types, not gonna make an impact, but can be recalled and still likely to clear waivers.  

if we're being completely honest with ourselves, will Rosen or Ostland ever be good enough to be contributors towards a successful Cup winning team? If they ever get a sniff in the NHL, I don't see them being any more than weak 3rd liners.

Hopefully they can be dealt for something of value this offseason.

4 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If you use Peterka and Quinn as benchmarks to how prospects from the AHL graduate into the NHL, it can tell us something.

JJP was basically a ppg in his Draft+1 AHL season. Quinn was 1.35ppg. Both struggled with their 200ft game in their rookie NHL seasons.

Kulich is 0.78ppg at the same age, Rosen is 0.64 and he's a year older. Neither one are close to JJP or JQ trajectory.  How do we expect they are going to be much help next year. Is there something else in their games that doesn't show up on the scoresheet? As of right now (not going into the 23-24 season) do either one of the project out to be 1st or 2nd line players? If not, we need to move them.

Noah Ostland is 0.6ppg in the SHL. It's a low scoring league, but that still sounds too low to be able to make the jump to the NHL, especially with him being small. Is that right?

The only hope I have is Savoie. He's pretty much at the top of the WHL for ppg. My concern though is he's too small to be very impactful next year. I'm thinking he's probably a Benson 2.0 level player. Thoughts? I think it might take a while, but he could still have top 1 or 2 line potential. 

Long story short though is we need to start trading some of these guys for NHL ready players in the offseason. Otherwise, I don't have much hope in breaking the non-playoff streak next year. 

Östlund from what I'm hearing on both WGR and from i forget what channel it is but they talk about the europeans and Östlund has a ton of potential as a solid 2 way player. He looks good in highlights and all that but I guess we wont know until he's in the AHL, I think they said this coming year.

Just now, #freejame said:

When you need your prospects to rescue your big club that tends to happen. 

And they haven’t actually rescued anything.  We are devoid of top end talent. There are some ok guys, but we need a couple of elite guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

And they haven’t actually rescued anything.  We are devoid of top end talent. There are some ok guys, but we need a couple of elite guys. 

We have top end / potential top end guys on the D unit. That can be the strength of a playoff team if combined with a deep F group, even sans elite F IMO

• Like (+1) 2

Prokhor Poltapov

… 

of course, he’ll be skating in Russia. 

i watched Östlund a couple of weeks ago. He absolutely has top six potential. But, IMO, he’ll need a year, or even two years in Rochester. 

I sat near Anton Wahlberg’s dad; he expects his boy in ROC next season - that’s based on what the Sabres want. I think Östlund will suit up with him. Anton needs to work on his skating, and depending on how quickly he works that out, he might be the answer to this thread. But … I expect he’ll need one year + with the Amerks. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

They're not prospects anymore 

Sure they are - less so Byram and Power - but they’re nowhere near their ceilings and I’m not down on Power like some.  

This was primed to be a Quinn breakout year - delayed.  Just good to see him healthy.  

Levi, Benson, JJ absolutely still prospects.  

I didn’t take the question to necessarily mean what 18-20 year olds will help us.  

Just now, Second Line Center said:

Sure they are - less so Byram and Power - but they’re nowhere near their ceilings and I’m not down on Power like some.  

This was primed to be a Quinn breakout year - delayed.  Just good to see him healthy.  

Levi, Benson, JJ absolutely still prospects.  

I didn’t take the question to necessarily mean what 18-20 year olds will help us.  

If you're a NHL regular you're not a prospect anymore .

It's not about callings etc ...

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Östlund from what I'm hearing on both WGR and from i forget what channel it is but they talk about the europeans and Östlund has a ton of potential as a solid 2 way player. He looks good in highlights and all that but I guess we wont know until he's in the AHL, I think they said this coming year.

What can we get for him and a 1st?